What Firstlite Jacket

I'm overdue for a new light jacket for archery elk in eastern OR. It doesn't get too cold during archery season here but at night and in the morning it probably gets down to low 40s to mid 30s. I've been looking at all the jackets on their site and there's too many options! Been putting it off and need to get it before my season kicks off.

I'd love some real-life experiences with their jackets and any thoughts/opinions.

For my importance here's what I'm looking for:
1. Warm obviously, but not where I'll sweat like crazy by walking around in the morning
2. Packable. I want something that can be small and easy to stow away. My current jacket is nice but it's bulky.
3. Lightweight. Trying to cut down on OZs as much as possible this year.

*I know there's other jackets that are just as good as Firstlite but trying to keep it simple and focusing on their product line.

Thanks!

I recommend the Brooks down sweater for an insulation piece. Super light and packable. Plenty warm for 30’s to 40’s sitting with no wind. And great as an on the move piece when it’s colder. Then I pack a rain shell as a windbreaker/rain jacket. My first layer is a wool shirt, then Klamath or kiln. Combo works great for me for wide range of temps and weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
O
I recommend the Brooks down sweater for an insulation piece. Super light and packable. Plenty warm for 30’s to 40’s sitting with no wind. And great as an on the move piece when it’s colder. Then I pack a rain shell as a windbreaker/rain jacket. My first layer is a wool shirt, then Klamath or kiln. Combo works great for me for wide range of temps and weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Appreciate the review! Is the Brooks down durable? Looks plenty warm, lightweight, and packable but at the expense of durability. Can is make it through some thicker brush or a possible pricker bush?

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
I think the brooks better fits your packable need. I have the Uncompahgre and like it a lot. Its warm enough for what I use it for and pretty durable. I have sent two back for warranty (one split at the pocket zipper and one on the shoulder) and both got replaced no questions asked. Also dont purge feathers with the synthetic insulation if it does rip.

Jbxl20

WKR
FYI. I have a sawtooth jacket and a corrugate guide jacket. The sawtooth size L can fit under my corrugate guide jacket size M. So if your looking at a sawtooth just beware the sizing if way off IMO. I loved the Klamath for warmth but I had a large and it was too big on me ( also would fit over the L sawtooth) so I had to sell it. I Just bought a kuiu hooded 240. Waiting to see how it will be in cooler weather. Good luck with the search

JB64

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't test any puffy wearing it through brush if it wasn't absolutely necessary. I did wear my Brooks Jacket on numerous skiing trips this last winter and despite some of my many falls, the Brooks never showed any signs of wear all last season.

OP
O
After hearing some opinions and thoughts here. I'm starting to lean towards either the Uncompahgre or Catalyst. The Catalyst seems a bit more durable and would handle other environments (ex. coastal mountains of OR) better and still pretty lightweight. Anyone have experiences with the both of these. What do people think of the Catalyst?

This is really helpful so thanks again!

Oregonboy

WKR
The catalyst would be what I recommend. It's a soft shell, which is quiet for archery. It's warm enough for the temps mentioned. It's not the most packable, but it's quiet and versatile. I have the Catalyst pants and really like them. I had the uncompagre 1.0 jacket and sold it, wasn't a fan.

OP
O
The catalyst would be what I recommend. It's a soft shell, which is quiet for archery. It's warm enough for the temps mentioned. It's not the most packable, but it's quiet and versatile. I have the Catalyst pants and really like them. I had the uncompagre 1.0 jacket and sold it, wasn't a fan.
Appreciate the recommendation. Since it looks like you're from Oregon, you ever take the Catalyst into the coastal jungle?

Oregonboy

WKR
Appreciate the recommendation. Since it looks like you're from Oregon, you ever take the Catalyst into the coastal jungle?
Constantly. Wilson and Saddle Mtn were my old stomping grounds before I moved down south. Catalyst did well in that stuff, although it's not waterproof. If your busting through wet brush for most of the morning, you may be a little wet. It's water resistant for sure, but not waterproof.

That said, my pants always dried up pretty quick. I've been wanting to get the jacket for a while, but I have the previous version (North Branch) that still works fine so I'm holding off.

OP
O
Constantly. Wilson and Saddle Mtn were my old stomping grounds before I moved down south. Catalyst did well in that stuff, although it's not waterproof. If your busting through wet brush for most of the morning, you may be a little wet. It's water resistant for sure, but not waterproof.

That said, my pants always dried up pretty quick. I've been wanting to get the jacket for a while, but I have the previous version (North Branch) that still works fine so I'm holding off.
Ha! There's hardly anything that can stand up to the wet season on the coast. I'd go with a completely different jacket for blacktail and winter steel. Though it sounds like the Catalyst would do well early archery. Thanks again. Looks like I'll be trying out the Catalyst.

Oregonboy

WKR
I agree, although the sitka Cloudburst set does VERY WELL on the coast, but that's the only set I've found other than non-breathable rubber, which sucks.

You won't regret the Catalyst, especially with the sale price that's going on right now.