What flashlight do you bring along on day hunts?

Jimss

WKR
Iphones also have a flashlight app which can be used in a pinch. Some of them are super bright but may drain your battery.

Cryket by Nebo...great lights...

Lack of waterproofing, 240 lumen "low" mode, and having to feed it 4 x AA batteries make this a no go for me.

Quality outdoor waterproof light with broad range in modes (moonlight to bright) in a compact/lightweight package seems to me to be optimum for hunting. Zebralight, Olight, Fenix, and other quality brands recommended. Some great reviews on Candlepowerforums.Com.

At the extreme of reliability are brands like Malkoff (but it's a bit heavy), Elzetta, Surefire and Peak. Malkoff and Peak have fully potted electronics.

Last edited:
Lack of waterproofing, 240 lumen "low" mode, and having to feed it 4 x AA batteries make this a no go for me.

Quality outdoor waterproof light with broad range in modes (moonlight to bright) in a compact/lightweight package seems to me to be optimum for hunting. Zebralight, Olight, Fenix, and other quality brands recommended. Some great reviews on Candlepowerforums.Com.

At the extreme of reliability are brands like Malkoff (but it's a bit heavy), Elzetta, Surefire and Peak. Malkoff and Peak have fully potted electronics.
I definitely prefer headlamps for backcountry, but the Nebos are cool little handy lights...I have gutted more than one critter by propane lantern...use what ya got...:D

Rich M

WKR
Amazon carries headlamps - COAST Brand. These things rock. You can get 2 for about $40. 3 AAA battery powered.

400 lumens on high, 2.5 hrs run, 230 lumens on medium, 3 hrs run, 53 lumens on low, 17 hrs run

Costco used to sell 3 packs but has since stopped - was a sad day. I just found them on Amazon. Walmart and others carry them.

I can't recommend them enough - we use em deer and duck hunting. Usually on low power but high comes in handy when tracking.

Last edited:

Mosby

WKR
I use headlamps out west when packing in but I always have a couple of flashlights in my truck. I use flashlights more back east than out west when weight really isn't much of an issue. I always have a back up light of some type with me.

Lawnboi

WKR
2 headlamps at all times. Petzl Myo is my main lamp. Elite in my kit for if my other dies. One set of batteries.

Always have them, usually using them on the walk in and out, pays to have something bright for tracking and processing as well.

kcm2

WKR
A handheld light, the LED type at more than 1000 lumen, will be amazingly helpful for blood trailing. My latest one is 10,000 lumen, bought on Ebay from China and it works great. With that, I have a Petzel headlamp and a small LED that I use to mark a dead animal in the dark. Makes it much easier to find him after you've headed out to get help or take the first load back.

When backpacking in I’ll use either a Petzl tactikka with a Petzal e+lite as a backup in my bino harness. Or a Black Diamond spot with the e+lite. On day hikes I add a Surefire G2x LE handheld light.

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
Black Diamond Spot or Storm are both great. The Princeton Tec Remix is also a great one. I keep a tiny single AAA led light in my bino harness as a back-up.

Rokwiia

WKR
There a few things that I consider critical when I enter the backcountry even on a day hike. Fire, water, shelter, and light. I will not skimp on these as they could save your life. To satisfy the light part, I always carry a reliable flashlight when I dayhike. If going over night, I will also bring a headlamp.

I decided on an HDS flashlight as they are often used by spelunkers who must rely on their flashlight in dark, wet caves. They are costly but will be there and work whenever they are called upon. Multiple lumen settings with a click and it will last 30 hours at 9 lumens which is way more light than I would ever need to extract myself. It is with me whenever I go out in the woods.

They are legendary for taking abuse. Being shot at with a firearm, being dropped from from 30' for two hours, hurled repeated against concrete, etc,. If you absolutely, positively, have to have light, HDS is my advice.

Check out the abuse part of the video starting at 5:01. Also note they remove and put in a new battery all while being underwater and it starts immediately without a hitch.

https://www.hdssystems.com/

Last edited:
OP
J

jd65

Lil-Rokslider
There a few things that I consider critical when I enter the backcountry even on a day hike. Fire, water, shelter, and light. I will not skimp on these as they could save your life. To satisfy the light part, I always carry a reliable flashlight when I dayhike. If going over night, I will also bring a headlamp.

I decided on an HDS flashlight as they are often used by spelunkers who must rely on their flashlight in dark, wet caves. They are costly but will be there and work whenever they are called upon. Multiple lumen settings with a click and it will last 30 hours at 9 lumens which is way more light than I would ever need to extract myself. It is with me whenever I go out in the woods.

They are legendary for taking abuse. Being shot at with a firearm, being dropped from from 30' for two hours, hurled repeated against concrete, etc,. If you absolutely, positively, have to have light, HDS is my advice.

Check out the abuse part of the video starting at 5:01. Also note they remove and put in a new battery all while being underwater and it starts immediately without a hitch.

https://www.hdssystems.com/

WOW! That is a costly little flashlight! I suppose if it boils down to a flashlight to determine life or death, this would be the one to have? Interesting to know that something like this exist.

MObucks

FNG
I use the coast headlamps. you can buy a 435 lumen one that runs off AAA batteries for $40

bmf0713

WKR
I wanted to go rechargeable so I got a Fenix. Think it was like $40. Also have my phone and the external battery pack I have also has a light.

I'v been a fan of the BlackDiamond Spot for years, it's reliable, you can dim it and it has a red beam option. I like to carry the little Maglite Solitaire as a backup. Everything takes AAA so only 1 size of battery to keep up with.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    94.1 KB · Views: 11

87TT

WKR
I have a headlamp and spare batteries plus a couple of these with extra batteries.
! AA battery and they cost like 3 or 4 bucks on ebay

robtattoo

WKR
COAST 3AAA 400 lumen for me.
Adjustable beam, easy to operate, light enough & cheap.

The little Nite-Ize is constantly on my pocket for EDC, so I've always got it for backup. 1AAA battery lasts me about a year & I use it multiple times, every day.20190822_103126.jpg

OP
J

jd65

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to everyone for the input. I like that little COAST light. I think in my pack this year I'll have a little handheld and one, maybe two headlamps. I'm trying to keep it to where all of the lights take the same battery for simplicity. For the headlamp I am leaning towards the Black Diamond Spot.

revelized

FNG
I picked up a single AAA Coast inspection beam light this summer and have been very happy with it. Great for going to and from the campfire at night