What flashlight do you bring along on day hunts?

Just like everyone is saying, there is no substitute for a good headlamp (Petzel for me). That being said, I started carrying a Streamlight Stylus. you can get them for $17 on Amazon, they're 100 lumens and last forever on two AAA batteries. They also have a USB rechargeable one. I got my first one to have as a backup and ended up using it way more than I thought I would. Convenience, brightness, and pack-ability make it a great value for me. Its the size of a pen with a clip on it. Now I have one in the truck, In my hunting jacket, riding jacket, in my tool box, and on my nightstand.

bsnedeker

WKR
I'm a bit ridiculous on lights. I carry an o-light 1-AAA light in my pocket, with a backup Streamlight Stylus in my emergency kit, then I carry a black diamond for my primary headlamp as well as a petzl elight in my bino harness as a backup.

There a few things that I consider critical when I enter the backcountry even on a day hike. Fire, water, shelter, and light. I will not skimp on these as they could save your life. To satisfy the light part, I always carry a reliable flashlight when I dayhike. If going over night, I will also bring a headlamp.

I decided on an HDS flashlight as they are often used by spelunkers who must rely on their flashlight in dark, wet caves. They are costly but will be there and work whenever they are called upon. Multiple lumen settings with a click and it will last 30 hours at 9 lumens which is way more light than I would ever need to extract myself. It is with me whenever I go out in the woods.

They are legendary for taking abuse. Being shot at with a firearm, being dropped from from 30' for two hours, hurled repeated against concrete, etc,. If you absolutely, positively, have to have light, HDS is my advice.

Check out the abuse part of the video starting at 5:01. Also note they remove and put in a new battery all while being underwater and it starts immediately without a hitch.

https://www.hdssystems.com/

HDS: The light that gets you home! (y)

I'm a huge fan of HDS, but my go to is Zebralight for their reliability, excellent range of programmable modes, and long battery life, along with extreme bright High mode when you need it.

Last edited:

rwcole

FNG
I wanted to go rechargeable so I got a Fenix. Think it was like $40. Also have my phone and the external battery pack I have also has a light.
I just bought a fenixhl60r. Do the batteries stay charged good? Also which external battery pack do you have is it solar? Or just charge in vehicle and go?

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
I carry the flashlight in my pocket almost all the time, and it comes in handy when I need a little more light than the headlamp. Works especially well for blood tracking.

Attachments

• A34F9E6A-ED4F-485D-BBC3-309B20864B61.jpeg
    A34F9E6A-ED4F-485D-BBC3-309B20864B61.jpeg
    391.6 KB · Views: 10

Bigred

FNG
I carry 2 cabelas headlamps that are made by priceton tech i have had around 10 of them total and they work great. I use them all year for camping and what not. They are around 30 bucks. During rifle season i wear a head lamp in and out on the red setting to help not get shot at. You never know if someone has been drinking and hunting.

Rokwiia

WKR
"The light that gets you home! (y)

I'm a huge fan of HDS, but my go to is Zebralight for their reliability, excellent range of programmable modes, and long battery life, along with extreme bright High mode when you need it. "

Great minds think alike. I almost always have my headlamp in my pack which has two Zebralights. Both are CR123 as is my HDS so I carry the same batteries for backup.

HaaseAZ

FNG
I'm a fan of the SureFire G2X. Rechargable for day trips. It recharges on a usb cable so you can charge it thru the cigarette lighter of the truck or ranger. 600 lumens on high and I like the rear thumb button so I can hold on to it when hiking in or out in the dark and just slightly depress the button for a quick flood of light when needed so it's not having to be on all the time.

Walking Birds

Lil-Rokslider
There's usually a Petzl Zipka in my pocket and a streamlight 500 Lumen (forget the model) in the hip pouch of my pack. Also, there's 1 more backup headlight in the pack for hanging off a branch for ambient light

jhopkins

FNG
I have been using a couple Coast flashlights and a headlamp for about two years and have had no issues and very happy with them.

tracker12

WKR
Black Diamond Spot Headlamp and a small flashlight in the pack for tracking. Always have both.

grey12345

FNG
Hand held or headlamp or ? What do you bring along and why do yo recommend it? My budget is around $50-$75. Thanks
I'm a big fan of Petzl. I use the Actik or tactica. Bottom line, always have one and keep it in the same place for ease of finding it at night.

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
Most of my day hunts start with a long hike way before the sun comes up so Ive got my regular headlamp, its a fenix. I don't remember the model, but its fairly small and gets really bright. I also always have a petzl eLite in my possibles pouch.