what freakin bino harness!!

sk1

WKR
ok I know this post has been done before by searching the history, but really I need to bring it up again.....what bino harness?!

I want to protect my binos better than the standard harness this year being that I upgraded, and the standard harness really doesn't cut it. I was going to go with the horn hunter bino hub as a temp fix until I realized my zen ray ed3's barely fit, and i dont want the large model, the standard is big enough as it is. I was hoping to incorporate the range finder with the harness, but at this point ill settle for something with easy access to the binos that doesn't take me ten minutes to pull them out of.......is badlands really the option? I looked at it the other day and I don't care for it other than the fact that it's easy to open and close.....and I havent seen it in person but I believe the sitka one is similar

has anyone come up with a good solution to quick bino access and protecting them at the same time? i havent found it yet.....let's see some opinions i need ideas!!

thanks for the advice as always

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I still use the Crooked Horn Bino Harness. It offers zero protection, but easy access. The also make a companion rangefinder holder now that connects to the same harness. I don't use it, but it seems like it is functional. I think the Badlands, Sitka and many others are just to big for my personal preference. I am not worried about protection for the binoculars as I have yet to damage any because of my harness.

dotman

WKR
Yup, FHF gear makes the best most streamline harness on the market. Only downside is his backlog is even longer then kifaru so not an option this year. When he did mine I also had him add his rangefinder pouch which is currently mounted next to the bino case but can also mount to any belt or molle attachment.

http://www.fhfgear.com/Hunt.php

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have the s4 gear lockdown and like some things about it, but I am on the list for an FHF Gear harness.

swat8888

WKR
I just bought the Sitka, mainly because I'm in the same boat as you. I really like the looks of the FHF custom harness....but didn't have the time to wait on one of those. Going to run the Sitka and see if I can tolerate it or not....then get the FHF custom made if it doesn't cut it. Have my buddies alaska guide creations one at the house now....don't really like it, not really sure why...maybe because it doesn't seem very streamlined to me. Let us know what you think of whatever one you take the plunge for.

Lawnboi

WKR
Big fan of the sitka harness here. Really hard to find very much wrong with it except that it will not fit big glass. I would like to try the fhf but with the wait list it wont happen.

The sitka is extremely comfortable. I had multiple others before it incuding the s4 and thought they were all junk.

Matt Palmquist

Lil-Rokslider
I have used the crooked horn in the past and it was decent but doesn't provide much protection and my binos would drag on the ground when belly crawling. I decided to try the badlands but it was too bulky for my taste and I am not a fan of the magnet. If you let the lid slip out of your hand it will make a loud pop when closing. I have since been using the S4Gear Lockdown and like it better than the others. It holds the binos close to your chest when crawling or jogging, but are easy to access when needed and you can adjust the tension. They offer better protection than the open harnesses like crooked horn, but don't protect as well as the full enclosure systems. I haven't got my hands on the Sitka system yet to compare.

Matt

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So, I went cheap and attached my crooked horn harness to a G1 2Qt utility pouch from Kifaru. I had both and wondered why in the world I should spend money on something I had that could work that was already in my closet.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Luke and I are big fans of the bino pouches from AK guide creations. The binos rest comfortably in the chest pouch, but aren't actually harnessed to you since they are fully enclosed in the pouch's main compartment. Material is durable and padded, but not too heavy. Side pockets leave space for extras like a lighter, snack, or havelon knife, and the front pocket accommodates our range finder easily, or a camera. Our licenses and tags/permits live in the back zipper pocket. I will never go back to an elastic "bino suspenders" set up ever again.

IMGP0407-C.jpg

idig4au

WKR
My custom FHF bino harness was shipped out today! It only took a month after I contacted Paul. I had him get rid of all the extra pockets, use ligher material and had him fabricate a structural lid to improve weather protection. Its his first one like this and he was easy to work with. Should be the ticket for sheep hunting and can't wait to test it out. I couldn't find what I wanted out on the market and FHF was the closest product I could find that could be modified to fit my needs.

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
Like Becca and Luke I have been using the Alaska Guide Creations bino pouch for years now and love it. Prior to that I tried the Crooked Horn harness and am not sure who invented that piece of junk but it drove me nuts on the two hunts I tried it on.

TK

FNG
just ordered the Horn Hunter bino hub with the range finder attachment, its my first enclosed harness, for the price i thought it was worth a try.

ive been using the s4 but still looking. it works ok. better than just a harness. wish it didnt put so much strain on my neck or bounce when jogging or biking so much....

Matt Palmquist

Lil-Rokslider
You should be able to adjust the Lockdown to prevent the bounce from happening. That is what it is designed for and one of the main reasons I like it. I haven't experienced any strain on my neck. It sounds like some of the adjustments are out of wack. PM me and I can try to help you get it adjusted so it works better for you.

Matt

Loving my FHF Gear bino harness. LOVING IT. He also made it so the damn straps are big enough for my chest. I also have the rangefinder pouch attached as well, which I can swap to my DT1 belt if I'd like.

swat8888

WKR
Can you post pics of that FHF, I like to see all the ideas others incorporate....gives me some ideas for when I eventually get myself a custom pouch. Thanks

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
so i think i've decided ill give the alaska guide creations a try.....i've looked at it several times and avoided it thinking there are better options out there, but thus far i haven't found one. i just hope it's big enough for my zen ray ed3's which are the same size as the vortex talon

i know this post has been done before so thanks for the opinions guys, just hard to figure out which one as there does not appear to be a clear cut answer

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Sk1, you'll like that setup no doubt. What size are you Zen Rays?? My 10X42 Swaro ELs easily fit in the smaller of the two versions of the Alaska Guide Creations.

Sk1, you'll like that setup no doubt. What size are you Zen Rays?? My 10X42 Swaro ELs easily fit in the smaller of the two versions of the Alaska Guide Creations.

you use the smaller version? :eek:
those things look so big! part of the reason i cant quite pull the trigger on one. what else can you fit in there besides binos?