What gaiters does everyone prefer to use?

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
I’m sure plenty of people with tons of experience will chime in here, but I had a pair of short, lightweight hiking gaiters. They had shock cord around the top that wouldn’t keep them up for anything. Of course they weren’t meant for the brush I used them in either.

I bought a pair of $80 or $90 OR Expedition Gaiters at Cabelas after New Years that we’re on sale for $19. Only tested them a couple of times, but the combination of their height (over the swell of the calf) and the top belted design helps them stay up much better. I’m leery about the buckle design though. Seems like it would be easy to accidentally come open. But hasn’t happened yet.

quent

Lil-Rokslider
I'm still rocking core 4 elements gaiters. Looking at OR though. Just wish they had earth tone colors without spending an arm and a leg on the military ones.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mike 338

WKR
Had the Sitka Stormfront's (still do). What a nightmare. I didn't realize that clothes could be so hard to get on and off.

Just got a pair of Outdoor Research Crocodiles. Wow, what a reasonable and decent design. Durable, easy to get on and off and tons lighter. Not to crazy about the color selection but hit 'em with some mud and they'll be perfect. At full price, they seem expensive but after wrestling with the Sitka's, I'd pay double just to not have to get those things on and off.

quent

Lil-Rokslider
The noisy part concerns me a bit but I'd provably use them during rifle season. The camo non gore tex ones sound like they'd be fine for archery since I'd just need them for dew and wet grass in the A.M. the core 4 elements are awesome for either season.

I have been using a pair of Kenetrek’s the last 3 years. They have worked and held up well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- FL low stretchy traverse gaiters for hot weather and just in case
- kuiu Yukon’s for almost everything
- OR Expedition crocs for end of the world weather

If I was buying one it would be the kuiu Yukon’s.

FWIW I bought a pair of Sitka thunderheads as a possible replacement for the Yukon’s. They were nice but did not fit my size 13 winter boots or my calves. I understand they are tweaking sizing for this years version to address this issue as well as a couple of other updates.

Usi05

WKR
Just grabbed a set of brand new OR Rocky Mountain highs yesterday on a great sale.

Did not like the way they feel in my feet while training yesterday. They slide down my knee constantly.

I am going to hang on to them but I’m hoping the wrangler outdoors are moisture resistant enough that I won’t need to wear them regularly.

HiRidge

FNG
I'm a fan of the Outdoor Vision gaiters. Love not having to deal with Velcro. Fairly quiet and stay put around my calves.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I like the Kuiu Scree Gators, especially for early-mid season when not dealing with a lot of snow. Also tried the First Lite traverse, for me they were way to tight. I got the L/XL, but they didn't come close to fitting my legs, and I do not have overly large lower legs, even without pants on. After reading reviews and contacting Blackovis, seems to be a regular issue. Blackovis rep said they have even asked FL to adjust sizes. Gave them to my wife to use and they barely fit her.

quent

Lil-Rokslider
Just grabbed a set of brand new OR Rocky Mountain highs yesterday on a great sale.

Did not like the way they feel in my feet while training yesterday. They slide down my knee constantly.

I am going to hang on to them but I’m hoping the wrangler outdoors are moisture resistant enough that I won’t need to wear them regularly.

Yeah, those are the ones I was talking about in my post. Are they just to stretchy?

Never used gaiters before are they really worth having? I've always been curious

My $0.02 -

in snow they are worth it. Seal out snow from getting in your boots if you are breaking trail or post holing.

In rain and normal conditions, maybe. They protect your lower legs. They can keep your boots and pants dry in wet conditions.

For dry conditions those low top stretchy skree gaiters keep bugs, dust and crap out of pants, boots and socks. They can shed a little rain and wetness especially if you are moving through wet vegetation that will wick into you socks as you walk. They can also shed a bit of snow in a pinch.

Bottom line is, I don’t always wear them and I don’t always carry them, but there are more than a few times I wish I had - usually in unexpected snow. If I expect crappy weather going in they are usually in my pack. If I am going in someplace with snow or a lot dampness on the ground they are usually on my feet.