What gaiters does everyone prefer to use?

Wrench

WKR
I have mountain hardware, FL, cabelas, rei, and some short cabelas ones. The mountain hardware are a lifetime gaiter that is not quiet, but when it's snowy they are not loud enough to matter.

The FL are good in every way except the cut is meant for the same bird legged guys that fit the knaab pants. I have to yank them uber tight to fit my girls legs.

All of the others are good at doing their job, but not even close to the same quality or function as the above.

I have had good luck with my Kenetreks. They are quiet and I have put a lot of miles on them so far and they have held up very well so far.

Usi05

WKR
Yeah, those are the ones I was talking about in my post. Are they just to stretchy?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I’m not a tall fella and I can barely get theXL’s above my knee. Haven’t noticed an issue with stretching

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

renagde

WKR
Just picked up a brand new pair of Sitka Thunderhead GTX gaiters off ebay for $45. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about the fit. I understand they're closing them out and redesigning them which is why they were so cheap. I think they're a very good gaiter and if you're one of the lucky bastards that can fit in them well, it's a very good option. For me, they fit great, but I can see how they could be a pain in the ass if I had just little bit longer legs or thicker calves. I wanted a gaiter with a zipper, not velcro. And the Thunderheads have the same soft feel that the Thunderhead line has so they're very quiet.

quent

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not a tall fella and I can barely get theXL’s above my knee. Haven’t noticed an issue with stretching

Ah, gotcha. Are they worth checking out or a pass?

Usi05

WKR
Ah, gotcha. Are they worth checking out or a pass?

It’s hard for me to advise you bud. As long as I can get them to sit above my knee I will be happy with price I grabbed them for. They seem to be made pretty well.

I can put them on and send some pics or anything like that if it will help you.

snakelk

WKR
Kuiu Yukon.

An essential part of my kit as we wade creeks often. I've tried many brands and the Kuiu are my favorites. They fit well, the material is tough, and they keep water and debris out. I'll buy them again when I wear my current pair out.

Brooks

WKR
Are they worth it ......... Yes, especially on wet mornings with a lot of dew on the ground. I’ll never forget the year I was camped in a wilderness for a bow hunt and didn’t have gaiters with me every morning by 8 am my boots , pants and feet would be soaked from hiking through meadows that were covered with morning dew. Every afternoon I would have to take my boots and socks off and let them dry out. Yes gaiters are worth it.

ChrisAU

WKR
Don't get the cheaper OR ones. Learned the hard way last year. Now have FL Bramblers, I have 17" calves and they fit fine. The L/XL. I have to cinch them up some.

quent

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I've heard the croc/expedition gaiters are the way to go. They're pretty hardcore. The lack of waterproofness and goretex in the rockey mountains are a concern but my core 4 elements dont have gore tex and they've been kicking ass for years.

*zap*

WKR
I have some lighter nylon OR's for muddy and a pair of crocs for severe weather. I also use a pair of full length nylon chaps for very wet conditions if I am off trail, believe they are cabelas. All three sets have lasted/worked just fine for me in the conditions they are designed for.

quent

Lil-Rokslider
I have some lighter nylon OR's for muddy and a pair of crocs for severe weather. I also use a pair of full length nylon chaps for very wet conditions if I am off trail, believe they are cabelas. All three sets have lasted/worked just fine for me in the conditions they are designed for.
Honestly if the grass is just that wet and tall, I throw my wet weather bottoms on. My tibets are the lower ones so in your average height grass meadows at 9-10k it comes in from the tops. Not so much of a problem with my 10" zamberlans but they're a bit much for archery.

*zap*

WKR
My chaps hook to my belt on the outside and leave my lower core and crotch area uncovered so those areas can breath. Full length zips up the outside. They do not get as hot as a full bottom, but it really depends on the conditions and your aerobic activity level.

quent

Lil-Rokslider
My chaps hook to my belt on the outside and leave my lower core and crotch area uncovered so those areas can breath. Full length zips up the outside. They do not get as hot as a full bottom, but it really depends on the conditions and your aerobic activity level.
I was gonna ask what you use the chaps for. Couldn't imagine it'd be in the backcountry aside from chukar.

*zap*

WKR
I use them for very wet conditions (not rain, dew or after a rain) when walking in tall grass/brush. They are a medium weight nylon. I bushwack hike for conditioning here in Kansas because it is more difficult than trail hiking.

quent

Lil-Rokslider
Gotcha. How's the nylon hold up in those conditions?

wysongdog

WKR
Don’t want to hichjack the thread but have a question after reading everyone’s responses, because I have the same question sort of..
Heading to Africa in May. Gaiters are highly recomended, I have it narrowed down to the Kenetrek camo or kuiu scree. Is there one that is quieter than the other as we will be bowhunting?