What game bags are you using?

WVELK

FNG
In the 90s I made my own game bags, and have tried a number since then. Last year I used the Koola Buck bags, and I will have to say the antibacterial liquid they are drenched in works darn well. It keeps flies away and the bags are sturdy enough to hang boned out meat in the NM shade. HOWEVER, if I looked at my scale correctly they weigh 679 pounds per package ha ha.

If I am fortunate enough to get an elk, I almost always debone the meat. I am looking for a sturdy bag and will probably try some of the Koola Buck spray this year. I use to pack black pepper, but would like to just go with light bags and the spray in my pack while in New Mexico. In that heat, time is critical and there isn’t enough time to go back to camp or the truck to get anything If you want to take care of your meat.

Forest

WKR
I really like my black ovis bags. I usually keep them in full quarters tho. The kuiu bags may be better for loose meat

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

CMF

WKR
I bought some off ebay last year and they worked ok. Had one get about a 2" rip, but they cleaned up well after hauling a bull out. They weren't a name brand, just said UL game bags.. something like that.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
The Argali game bags work very well and were the lightest bags at the time I purchased. I’ve deboned an elk and packed out several miles, several mule deer, hung them in tress, tossed around the cooler for a week, etc and they have held up. Except they didn’t deter a fisher from chewing his way through to get to my mule deer in the tree :/

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
Maybe I should have searched some before posting. It seems many like Caribou Gear at 13 oz, Argali at around 15 oz, but unless I am missing something Felix40s from NW seem pretty darn sporty at 7oz for 5 bags. The size is 13x29. Should work for boned out meat.

I’ve been using the same Tag BOMB set of five since 2013...
Those bags have had at least 5 elk stuffed in them, hopefully this year will be the sixth.
Not one tear or issue.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
The Argali game bags work very well and were the lightest bags at the time I purchased. I’ve deboned an elk and packed out several miles, several mule deer, hung them in tress, tossed around the cooler for a week, etc and they have held up. Except they didn’t deter a fisher from chewing his way through to get to my mule deer in the tree :/
+1
a.jpg

I've been using a TAG BOMB (Boned Out Meat Bag) set for a few years. They're light, tough and reusable, but be aware that the "boned out" part of the name is quite literal. Even with an average sized cow elk, deboned rear quarters were a tight squeeze, and I don't believe they would have fit at all with the the bone intact. Rear quarters off a bull might require some extra surgery to get them into the bags. But once the meat is bagged, it stays in a nice tight vertical shape which helps on the packout.
IMG_20180831_214138567.jpg

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
Killing time waiting for goose neck hitch to go in a truck. Here is what I seem to have found.

1. Caribou Carnivore III - (5) bags each 16x30 total weight 13 oz $55 (this includes 4x4 plastic and a zip tie and some stuff that if not taken would cut weight.
2. TAG BAGS (4) bags 14x34 (2) bags 14x20 BOMB set maybe 2lbs (there may be a typo on the web page. Too confusing so scratched off list.
3. Argali (5) bags 17x29 9 oz $70
4. Rawhide gear (4) bags 34x40 16 oz $60
5. Felix40 Backcountry Borne (5) 13x29 7oz holds 45# $40
6. Viam (4) bags 24x38 (1) bag 16x33 (1) bag 16x22 14.6 oz Hunter set $85
Bone Out set (6) bags 12x24 70# rating $70 7.2 oz

TheGDog

WKR
Kifaru's meat bags are really nice! They don't weigh anything and they keep the meat in a nice cylindrical shape. It's kinda like made from Ultralight tent type of material. Very easy to work with in the field too.

With those Alaskan Game Bags, the meat just all mushes down into a big blob at the bottom, unless as someone told me later, you tie multiple knots in the bag to keep chunks in sections along the length of the bag. But that would be a PITA.

Nowadays I only bring along 1 of teh Alaskan type of bag just for the hide and head because they are stretchy and will accomodate the odd shape and I ziptie it closed around the antlers. But for the boned out meat (EDIT of a Mule Deer)? It's all fit into just 1 of the Kifaru meat bags, even though I bring two just in case.

And they've sewn a hang strap on the bottom and on the top it's just pull string closure and you knot it like a shoe lace or something. The made it like that so if you want to hang it and let blood drip out you can.

The Kifaru meat bags can fit a whole gutted coyote into them too.

Last edited:
OP
W

WVELK

FNG

If you look at the photo on their web page it shows a pic of them on a scale displaying over 2 lbs. Then if you read the description it says the stuff sack is 10 oz. Then when you read about the XL BOMB it says the set is 11.7 oz whereas the regular is 10 oz. If you have a set I would appreciate knowing what is more likely to be correct.

Attachments

• 15872E22-D088-4101-9CDD-CC983F72DC6D.jpeg
    15872E22-D088-4101-9CDD-CC983F72DC6D.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 49
  • 75748D44-0210-4079-A2CD-1D6A16660BBB.jpeg
    75748D44-0210-4079-A2CD-1D6A16660BBB.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 82989302-13BA-4F8A-9927-D1E5BB6802A5.jpeg
    82989302-13BA-4F8A-9927-D1E5BB6802A5.jpeg
    382.9 KB · Views: 48
If you look at the photo on their web page it shows a pic of them on a scale displaying over 2 lbs. Then if you read the description it says the stuff sack is 10 oz. Then when you read about the XL BOMB it says the set is 11.7 oz whereas the regular is 10 oz. If you have a set I would appreciate knowing what is more likely to be correct.

The regular bomb bags are 10 oz total, the XL is close to 12. I use a few of them but generally take along a large quarter bag as well. Let me was said, the bomb bags are for only boned out meat. If you need somewhere to out something for a minute it's nice to have a bigger bag. Can use a tarp also.

Looks like they offer three different BOMB sets:
Regular, 10 oz
XL, 11.7 oz
Moose, 2 lbs

I don't know why the photo of the 2 lb Moose set in your screenshot would show up on the regular or XL product page (may be something @Larry Bartlett could fix to avoid confusion).

I only have experience with the regular BOMB set, which measures 10.2 oz on my kitchen scale.
IMG_20200707_201645836.jpg

Yep..10oz for the regulars w/o the orange bag.
As mentioned, there won’t be an inch to spare with ALL the meat off a
good bull.
The mouth of the bags are a little narrow, and more difficult to load solo, but that’s the price you pay for one of lightest AND super tough bags.
You could also use pantyhose, to go ultralight.

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
Looks like they offer three different BOMB sets:
Regular, 10 oz
XL, 11.7 oz
Moose, 2 lbs

I don't know why the photo of the 2 lb Moose set in your screenshot would show up on the regular or XL product page (may be something @Larry Bartlett could fix to avoid confusion).

I only have experience with the regular BOMB set, which measures 10.2 oz on my kitchen scale.
View attachment 195420

Thanks for the info! I had written them off before. Wasn’t going to buy a pig in a poke.