What gear are you going to ditch (or ditched)?

What are 1-3 things you thought you needed on any kind of hunt that were a serious waste of time and weight and then ditched? Or something you replaced with an upgrade. This is a counter post to ‘what do you wish you carried sooner.’

Me:
1-Saddle platform when using sticks (I just use the top steps to rest my feet).
2-Shitty binos. I am up to a $300 pair now, cant imagine what the more expensive ones are like. i refuse to try them as I’m imagining its like trying any other added luxury.

Fatcamp

WKR
Zoleo for Inreach
Basemap, going back to OnX
12x Meopta instead of 8x and 15x

Ditched the rangefinder this year in my normal hunting areas. Un-needed weight as I know the distance of the hillsides and cuts I glass from and frankly haven’t used a rangefinder on my last 5 kills.

Upgraded my binos and spotter over the last few years from cheapo to midline and have noticed a big difference. Goal is to upgrade binos again in the next 3 years.

oh yeah, ditched 2 more hunting buddies that flaked on me this year

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
I’m ditching my XOP climbing sticks after this season because they’re boat anchors. I’m still debating ditching my lone wolf treestand and switching to a saddle. Also debating ditching my rx1 for a brand new model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zoleo for Inreach
Basemap, going back to OnX
12x Meopta instead of 8x and 15x
I tried basemap for a month and just couldn't do it for this season. Emailed them saying I tried it honestly for a month and it just wasn't there yet. Went back to OnX too. Curious as to the attempt of 12x as I have been using a set of 12x Razors.

Fatcamp

WKR
I tried basemap for a month and just couldn't do it for this season. Emailed them saying I tried it honestly for a month and it just wasn't there yet. Went back to OnX too. Curious as to the attempt of 12x as I have been using a set of 12x Razors.

Been carrying 8x and 15x Meopta. Too much weight. Gonna do just 12x Meopta.

Basemap has some things I just do not like. Laptop version is small. MVUM and trails shows way too much stuff that shouldn't be there. Small details missing in some critical areas.

erfle

FNG
Ditched lower quality binos…moved to 10.5x Kowa and happy with the decision.

*GPS. Cell phones with a mapping app work well, and we all know we can't survive without our cell phones.

*Game bags. Only carry one now for an after the kill initial pack out.

*70 something oz water bladder. Chug 32 oz before heading out, better to piss like a racehorse for a couple of hours than dehydrate carrying extra water.

*Knives. Only need one really. If you're worried about cross contamination from skinning to boning, carry a handful of alcohol wipes to clean the blade.

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
Havalon Piranta……..doesn’t hold an edge and is a safety issue waiting to happen in the field. Rather use my Outdoor edge swing blade or Argali and resharpen when necessary.

I’ve been eyeballing a piranta. What is the safety issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zacattack

WKR
Knives and multi tool. Now it’s a replaceable blade and the ultralight esee, whatever it’s called…ivulan maybe?
Ditched my vortex binos for some kowa’s.