What gear are you going to ditch (or ditched)?

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been eyeballing a piranta. What is the safety issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used one this year... The blades are easy to break and the handles are not big enough to comfortably grip. It's almost like an xacto knife which in my opinion just doesn't work well when your in the field. I'll stick with my outdoor edge and take the weight penalty

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

I used one this year... The blades are easy to break and the handles are not big enough to comfortably grip. It's almost like an xacto knife which in my opinion just doesn't work well when your in the field. I'll stick with my outdoor edge and take the weight penalty

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk
This pretty much sums up my feeling about them. Sure, on a new blade they are sharp as all get out. But like any razor blade, they dull very quickly. The blades are thin and are prone to snapping in half. I don’t carry a multi-tool so the thought of grabbing a razor blade to remove and replace with a new one always gives me pause especially when out in BFE. I have witnessed too many guides simply drop the used blade or broken blade on the ground after use. So now the backcountry has an unnecessary risk waiting for you. They have a place and a use, but IMO it’s a gimmicky item with unnecessary safety risks applied to its use.

Ill take one of my two fixed blades any day over any of the replaceable bladed knives (not just the havalon).

All of you carrying one game bag…do you only skin out one quarter at a time?
No sir, still skin & quarter everything up & just hang them up with a short piece of P cord or over a limb while you take the first load back to camp / truck. Of course if you're in griz country you need to hang higher but it's just a personal preference to not carry around the other bags.

qtrs.jpg

bsnedeker

WKR
Add me to the train of people ditching replaceable blade knives. I've struggled with a Tyto for YEARS having blades break off if you look at them funny and even if they don't break it takes at least 3 to get through an elk (I have low tolerance for dull blades). This year I tried "upgrading" to to Outdoor Edge and I'll give it a leg up as far as durability, but again, the blades go dull basically immediately.

I've got an s90v folder from Benchmade that made it through an entire bull and was still shaving sharp. Being a folder it was a bitch to clean so I think this year I'll be buying an Altitude if I can find a deal on one.

AZ8

WKR
No sir, still skin & quarter everything up & just hang them up with a short piece of P cord or over a limb while you take the first load back to camp / truck. Of course if you're in griz country you need to hang higher but it's just a personal preference to not carry around the other bags.

View attachment 350813
I see it’s night in that pic, but during the day aren’t you afraid of flies, bugs and other contaminates?

I don’t understand the one bag idea. 4-5 bags weigh like 12 ounces.

Like you said, personal preference. 😎

My kryptek takur is at the very top of my “to ditch “ list

stone glacier bino harness

kudu broadheads also… still think they are great for the price, but red flags have appeared over the years

OP
540-Virginian
*70 something oz water bladder. Chug 32 oz before heading out, better to piss like a racehorse for a couple of hours than dehydrate carrying extra water.

im hunting eastern mountains so different, but i have gone to drinking at least two nalgenes with a liquid IV 1-2 days before i hike/hunt hard. I am not near as thirsty come game day.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been eyeballing a piranta. What is the safety issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only safety issue is replacing the blade in the field. I've done it numerous times with bloody hands and haven't had a problem, but it could be an accident waiting to happen. The blades don't hold an edge great, but that's not what they are made for, it's a cheap steal scalpel blade. I've also never broke a blade, they aren't meant for prying.

I see it’s night in that pic, but during the day aren’t you afraid of flies, bugs and other contaminates?

I don’t understand the one bag idea. 4-5 bags weigh like 12 ounces.

Like you said, personal preference. 😎
Yes if it were hot weather that would figure in but I normally hunt cold weather (snow in the pic).
The BO XL bags I have are 26 oz and it saves space in a day pack that's usually full

WCB

WKR
2-Shitty binos. I am up to a $300 pair now, cant imagine what the more expensive ones are like. i refuse to try them as I’m imagining its like trying any other added luxury.
Depending on how much you glass but I wouldn't touch a $300 pair of binos with a 10ft pole. IMO might as well hold toilet paper rolls up to your face.

I'm thinking of partially ditching the compound for a long bow next year. At least part time. Kind of want a new challenge.

Other than that my gear is pretty dialed in.

OP
540-Virginian
Depending on how much you glass but I wouldn't touch a $300 pair of binos with a 10ft pole. IMO might as well hold toilet paper rolls up to your face.

I'm thinking of partially ditching the compound for a long bow next year. At least part time. Kind of want a new challenge.

Other than that my gear is pretty dialed in.
Whitetail on eastern side of states so no long all day use. I’ll upgrade whenever i make it out west

But right now, these TP roles are charmin ultra soft compared to the septic safe store brand roll i used to have. Next move i imagine will feel like the silk brand the prince of saudi uses

TX_Diver

WKR
Regarding the game bags I'll still carry a full set during bow season when it's warm, but there was snow on the ground for rifle season and it's not an extremely long round trip from most of the spots I hunted so it made sense to ditch 4/5.

The other item I added was gaiters. Won't go back to hunting without them if it's remotely wet or snowy!