What gear are you replacing in 2021?

intunegp

WKR
Stone glacier raingear has to go. It’s just not appropriate for Alaska rain.

Talking about the M5 or M7 set? I was considering the M7 for late season Colorado hunting which I know is totally different than Alaska, but still.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Roger, thanks. I guess at this point I don't know enough about the differences to know if the M7 would be an upgrade in dryness.
No Idea about the m7 but as far as stone glacier is concerned, I'll use their packs and frames but I'll look elsewhere for clothing and stuff. I might try that 2 person tent they make at some point though. I was all excited about that m5 but its not really good for much more than a windbreaker and a light rain shower lasting a few minutes.

JZee

FNG
What gear are you guys replacing in 2021 and why? Here’s my list:

1.Kuiu Mountain Star. Great tent but someone stole mine. I’m thinking about getting a SO with stove.

2.) Meopta Meostar S2 82mm Spotter. It’s been a great spotter for me but it’s time to upgrade to the Swaro ATX.

3.) Manfrotto 128RC Fluid Head. Great head but it’s heavy.

4.) Black Diamond Storm Headlamp. It failed me on a pack out, not sure if the headlamp was to blame or the cold. It was about zero degrees. I just stated testing the Fenix HL60R.
Sold my 85mm Razor spotter and pulled the trigger on a Swaro ATX 95. The plan is to eventually buy a smaller lens. I like adjustable zoom and take a lot of phone scope footage so thr BTX wasn’t on the radar.

intunegp

WKR
No Idea about the m7 but as far as stone glacier is concerned, I'll use their packs and frames but I'll look elsewhere for clothing and stuff. I might try that 2 person tent they make at some point though. I was all excited about that m5 but its not really good for much more than a windbreaker and a light rain shower lasting a few minutes.

I've handled it locally and it seems really nice. For what it's worth this year's Colorado 2nd rifle hunt was my first outing with both the Helio mid layers (top/bottom) and DeHavilland pants and I was blown away with how easily I was able to manage my temperature and stay comfortable all week long...now this was lows in the 20s and highs in the 50s with minimal/light precipitation. I may be biased and trying to justify a little since I purchased SG, but I've been around all the high-end technical hunting stuff besides Forloh, and I feel Stone Glacier's apparel is as good as any. My experience with wet conditions is very limited with any gear though.

Making some changes currently or made them already this year:
  • Darn tough and costco socks ---> Thorlo socks
  • Seek outside revolution ---> Stone Glacier Sky 5900
  • Burris Fullfield 3-9x30 ---> SWFA 10x42
  • Alaska Guide Creations ---> HPG Recon Kit Bag + bino pouch
Some changes I'd like to make:
  • Finally find some boots for my narrow feet
  • Replace Bushnell binoculars that are great optically but not ergonomically
  • Replace my 16 year old Marmot Pinnacle down bag with something that will work better for me as a side sleeper

Went from an AO 10 without vestibule to an AO 12 with vestibule, and I’ll never look back!
74fcefe304be136ddf251f1f2c015e39.jpg

116e614157b583424d9b4d936f254ad0.jpg

a7da3235792f4de676ccbe18c17e6440.jpg

7b2295db603d8111ad1ce047d9ee9bdf.jpg

d36c6bf064f7041123c6fbe7a105bec2.jpg

0968d1a6b50e77f42d630585d194f869.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That stove looks like the cat’s pajamas! Is that a US GI Arctic tent heater?

No, it’s a Nu Way direct vent propane stove. It’s the largest one they make, I think it’s called the 4000 and it has two burners. We mainly just ran it with one burner on low and it kept the temperature inside probably at around 65° give or take, when the temperature outside was in the high teens to low 20’s. It’s a pretty sweet setup and I really like the fact that it’s super clean with no issues with soot, sparks, etc. It weighs 11 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
This year I decided to swap out my rifle set up and my 20yr+ old hunting clothes.

Defiance Deviant Tactical===>Terminus Zeus Hand tight switch barrel set up
Vortex Razor Gen 2, 4.5-127===>NF NX8 4-32
Walls Camo Parka and Bib===>First Light Obsidian pants, kiln thermals and zip off pants, Klamath Hoody, and gaiter
Brigade Quartermaster Rainsuit===>Marmot Minimalist Rain Jacket and First Light Storm Pants
Athletic socks===>Darn Toughs and it’s Injinji toe liners
Bushnell Elite Tactical Range Finder===>Sig BDX 3000 ranging binoculars and a Alaska Guide Creations bino pack

I still need some puffy pants to complete my whole new setup.

Bad habit

FNG

1.Kuiu Mountain Star. Great tent but someone stole mine. I’m thinking about getting a SO with stove.

2.) Meopta Meostar S2 82mm Spotter. It’s been a great spotter for me but it’s time to upgrade to the Swaro ATX.

4.) Black Diamond Storm Headlamp. It failed me on a pack out, not sure if the headlamp was to blame or the cold. It was about zero degrees. I just stated testing the Fenix HL60R.
lm going to replace my kifaru 12 and 4 man teepees, age got me, no more back packing, going to buy some kind of pop up tent and haul it in my jeep

I'm retiring my AGC bino harness and moving to a marsupial gear. The latter just seems laid out better and is really well thought out in terms of the rangefinder pouch.

I'm also hoping to upgrade my Maven C.1 with B1.2s if funds allow

crich

WKR
Buddy of mine just bought the skyscraper tent. He used it for sheep this year and loves it fwiw.
How much rain did it take for your M5 to start to wet through?

crich

WKR
Upgraded from a vortex diamondback to a kowa 77 spotter this year.

Next "upgrade" will be downgrading my rifle to fund other gear/hunts.

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Already replaced:
Pack: SG Avail 2200 -> SG Archer 6400, so far I love the new big pack
Headlamp: Cheapo brand -> Fenix HL60R
Rangefinder: None -> Sig Sauer KIL 1800BDX

To do:
Bino Harness: Marsupial -> SG Skyline, the Marsupial messes up my compass for land nav so I'll be selling it soon
Stove: No-name stove -> MSR or Jetboil, still undecided
Also looking to get 15x binos (probably Swarovski SLC) and my first compound bow
I have to laugh when I see this post I made in March, instead of 5-6 things I bought at least 20 things this year. With Black Friday being around the corner it'll probably shoot up to 30

My under armour kit because I can not stand the right fit in the thigh which limits movement. Replacing with First Lite 🤟🏼

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord