What gear are you replacing in 2021?

Rock-o

WKR
Not very exciting, only a sleeping bag. I've done a fair amount of research but am so far from having any contenders.

22lr

WKR
Upgraded my bino harness to the SG Skyline, and boots to Crispi's. Last big ticket item for me will probably be a better sleeping bag. But we will see what else I can decide I "need."

Also waiting for Alaska to release draw tag results to determine what I'm chasing this year... #LetMeSeeThatBisonTag

BBob

WKR
Want to know an even lighter, more efficient setup? Replace the Soto Windmaster, which is quite large, with the titanium BRS 300-T stove from Amazon. Take your Jetboil and cut the upper third off of it to reduce the weight and size. This will be much lighter than the Soto route and waaay more efficient as the stove arms fit up inside the heat exchanger. You'll use far less gas and boil quicker. Or, just use the BRS with the ti cup. I have the Soto and will never take it backpack hunting anymore.
I took the Windmaster 4 leg support and cut the supports off short so it sits up inside a JetB pot as you describe. Way more efficient as you said that way. I run the Windburner about half output or so and still get the original JB performance or better with less fuel usage. Mby not as light as the Amazon thing but probably not far off and I aleady owned the Windmaster.

I took the Windmaster 4 leg support and cut the supports off short so it sits up inside a JetB pot as you describe. Way more efficient as you said that way. I run the Windburner about half output or so and still get the original JB performance or better with less fuel usage. Mby not as light as the Amazon thing but probably not far off and I aleady owned the Windmaster.
Awesome. Great that you modified it that way. Just so you know, the BRS ti stove is only $16.95, if you decide to try it.

Going from the Vortex high country tripod to a slik setup, North Face stormfront 2p to a SO cimmaron, and may be the year I swap out the AGC kodiak cup max to a slimmer pack like the Marsupial or OV

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
Replacing my sleeping pad with something with a higher R value... torn between the Exped Synmat and the Xtherm.

But, my big upgrade for the year, and the one I am most excited about is my stomping grounds. Leaving CO for Wyoming at the end of this week. It’s a huge upgrade in every way.

Mosby

WKR
Sitting around the house looking at several inches of snow, icy roads and negative temps, I decided that I need to put new tires on my hunting truck this year. I am going to replace the Goodyear Duratrac's that came with my truck. They should have over 40,000 miles on them before next season. They have been great tires on and off road in some heavy winter conditions but they have a reputation for having weak sidewalls(2 ply) and going down hill when you wear down the siping. I haven't had any problems but I am not pushing my luck into next season. Not sure what I am getting yet but that is going to be my project for this week.

I use diamondback 10x42s for hunting elk. They should probably be replaced but I never. Have enough time to mule deer hunt. Haven’t had much need to glass when elk hunting.

Still upgrade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xavier

FNG
2021 season upgrades

I’ll be replacing my 6.5 creedmoore with the new 6.8 western. Just more ideal for what I hunt out here in Alberta.

Replacing my entry level green ring leupold scope with a Maven CS.1. From the research I’ve done the glass is amazing and beats any glass in its price point. On top of having an amazing warranty like vortex. I did compare it to other models like the vortex viper HD etc... and it just can’t be beat in my mind.

Replacing the glass on my browning X Bolt 30-06. For years I ran a very basics vortex diamondback 3.5X10X50mm. It did the job at the time. But now I’m putting a leupold VX3i 3.4X10X40mm CDS ZL with some tally rings. I wanted a scope that was still budget friendly. Hence the VX3i and not a VX5 or VX6. I didn’t increase the magnification because I find this to be the perfect scope for the mountain/foothills I hunt in Alberta. Most shots I take are within that 200 yard range. But I’ll be comfortable take a shot at a greater distance if the need arises. Another reason I went with this scope is the custom turret you can get done.

The last thing I’ll be upgrading is my sleep system. As a larger guy with very wide shoulders I find sleeping in a sleeping back uncomfortable and just difficult to get in and out of. I’ve read about a sleeping quilt and so far my research has lead me to Enlightened custom sleeping quilts. However, that being said the stone glacier sleeping bag is apparently very spacious. So that might be another option.

Lastly, I’ll be upgrading my apla Outdoorz commander X pack to the Kuiu pro 3600. Just the weight difference along is worth the upgrade.

Dinger

WKR
Southern hemisphere is going into autumn now so plenty of hunts just around the corner for me.

Swapped already
Swaro 15's to NL 12's
Pocket Rocket to Soto Windmaster
Ran the 44 Mag last year, probably going back to the Bikini and Highcamp 48 for steep, deep and nasty hunts.
MSR Dromlite (really bad run with these) for Sea to Summit watercells
Sony A7 for Samsung S10!

Could do
LPP and Slick bag back to down gear - I moved the dial a bit far to synthetics last couple of years.
Supertarp for a 1st Gen solo shelter from Past Outdoors - needs to get made/released first
8x57R barrel to 7x65R tube (switch barrel rifle) if it turns up in time.

LMackay

FNG
What gear are you guys replacing in 2021 and why? Here’s my list:

1.Kuiu Mountain Star. Great tent but someone stole mine. I’m thinking about getting a SO with stove.

2.) Meopta Meostar S2 82mm Spotter. It’s been a great spotter for me but it’s time to upgrade to the Swaro ATX.

3.) Manfrotto 128RC Fluid Head. Great head but it’s heavy.

4.) Black Diamond Storm Headlamp. It failed me on a pack out, not sure if the headlamp was to blame or the cold. It was about zero degrees. I just stated testing the Fenix HL60R.
Old Kelly tent- been used for 25+ years. Not sure what I want though

2021 is the year of the pain... I’m replacing optics. Have cheap binos and it is time for some good ones! Also want a compact spotter.

TFrank

WKR
UGQ Bandit XL 20 degree quilt to replace an old North Face synthetic bag. The quilt is lighter, warmer, and fits me much better than that old mummy bag.

Soto Windmaster to replace my Jetboil. I like the Jetboil and it'll reside in my truck fulltime for day hunt usage, but it weighs 14.7 oz. while the Soto with a 650ml Toaks titanium pot weigh in at a combined 5.1 oz. That's a no brainer for weight savings while on a backpack hunt.
Have you seen that Soto thermostack cook set to pair with the stove? Kinda neat for the weight (suppose would defeat the purpose of your weight savings though haha).

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
Traded in my Creed for a Vertix, currently working on figuring out new arrows, will probably switch from Montecs to Slick Tricks as well. Who knows what else...time spent not hunting usually leads to money spent on hunting for some reason

Well not replacing, but buying tons of gear for my first hunt out west. It turns out my midwest whitetail gear just won't cut it out west..