What gear are you replacing in 2021?

Cole

Lil-Rokslider
What gear are you guys replacing in 2021 and why? Here’s my list:

1.Kuiu Mountain Star. Great tent but someone stole mine. I’m thinking about getting a SO with stove.

2.) Meopta Meostar S2 82mm Spotter. It’s been a great spotter for me but it’s time to upgrade to the Swaro ATX.

3.) Manfrotto 128RC Fluid Head. Great head but it’s heavy.

4.) Black Diamond Storm Headlamp. It failed me on a pack out, not sure if the headlamp was to blame or the cold. It was about zero degrees. I just stated testing the Fenix HL60R.

Last edited:

Antares

WKR
I'm going to replace my Vortex Diamondback spotter with Meopta 15x56 binos and see how I like that. To be fair, I'm not getting rid of the spotter, just excited to try out some big tripod mounted binos for glassing.

WCB94

FNG
I'm going to replace my Tasco World Class 3-9x40 with a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44. Throwing it on an old Winchester Cooey .270 my dad got me when I was a kid. I'm planning on taking the rifle on a few hunts later this year, hopefully WY antelope in particular. Been really looking forward to getting that old boat anchor out on the plains.

WCB94

FNG
What gear are you guys replacing in 2021 and why? Here’s my list:

1.Kuiu Mountain Star. Great tent but someone stole mine. I’m thinking about getting a SO
with stove.

2.) Meopta Meostar S2 82mm Spotter. It’s been a great spotter for me but it’s time to upgrade to the Swaro ATX.

3.) Manfrotto 128RC Fluid Head. Great head but it’s heavy.

4.) Black Diamond Storm Headlamp. It failed me on a pack out, not sure if the headlamp was to blame or the cold. It was about zero degrees. I just stated testing the Fenix HL60R.
Interesting about your headlamp. I have a Black Diamond and have been pleased with it, however I've been considering upgrading, I have yet to really put it through any serious paces. I took it out on a backpack in RMNP a couple years ago in <15 degrees, but that's obviously different than a backpack hunt. Looking forward to updates on the Fenix.

I am switching pack systems over too exo. I am getting a late season quilt for those really cold temps instead of a bag.

I'm going to be going on some late season elk hunts this year, have yet to get out for extended periods in temps like that. What quilts are you looking at? Also, what's the advantage over a bag?

I already have katabatic so I might get another one of those, ugq, or el coyote quilts. So many brands out there to check out. It basically comes down to weight savings and versatility but they both have pros and cons.

WCB94

FNG
I already have katabatic so I might get another one of those, ugq, or el coyote quilts. So many brands out there to check out. It basically comes down to weight savings and versatility but they both have pros and cons.
Nice. I honestly hadn't ever seen these before, pretty sweet. I'm using a Kelty Tac 30 bag, but after my last archery season, I'm going to need to get further up the mountain if my current plan holds steady and wouldn't mind a lighter setup.

Ten Bears

WKR
Going full ounce counting weenie this year. My goal is to drop 9lbs out of my already dialed pack.

Bought a new dehydrator and plan on making all of my own meals this year. Saving them in quart ziplocks and bought a dyneema cozie to keep them in when cooking. Should dump a ton of weight here.

Hilleberg Anjan 2 to a SO DCF Cimarron with a MLD DCF net.

SG Chilcot 15 to a Timmermade Wren 20

Kifaru Duplex Lite and Hoodlum to a SO Custom 6300 in Spectre

Nalgenes to the lite version

Sitka Cloudburst set to a Sitka Vapor SD (Still working on what pants)

Going to ditch my AGC Max to a much smaller harness

OP
Cole

Cole

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting about your headlamp. I have a Black Diamond and have been pleased with it, however I've been considering upgrading, I have yet to really put it through any serious paces. I took it out on a backpack in RMNP a couple years ago in <15 degrees, but that's obviously different than a backpack hunt. Looking forward to updates on the Fenix.
I’ll let you know how it goes. Normally the Black Diamond worked well for me but having it die on me repeatedly while packing off a steep mountain with no trail definitely made me want to look into different options.

Replaced my old sleeping bag with a Wiggy. May still change again. Love the Wiggy's so far on some over night hikes but it's pretty bulky. Also retiring my old Kelty pack and replacing with a Seek and Eureka Tcop tent with a tipi. It's all been good, bombproof gear but it's heavy and my knees aren't what they used to be.

JohnB

WKR
Switch from a 2 lb bivy bag to a 6oz one. Plus continue my eternal quest to find a boot that fits better than the one I currently have.

OP
Cole

Cole

Lil-Rokslider
Switch from a 2 lb bivy bag to a 6oz one. Plus continue my eternal quest to find a boot that fits better than the one I currently have.
What bivy are you going to get?

Sadler

WKR
Do you have a link to the Ascent tripod?
It’s not available yet but here is a link to read about it.