What gear are you replacing in 2021?

Grit2

Lil-Rokslider
- new bow string
- stiffer arrows (axis 340)
- first real pack (MR Popup 38)
- tripod (bog to Sirui ET-1204 VA-5)
- hopefully xbolt eclipse hunter 30-06 but maybe 2022
- maybe first sleeping pad and bag (thermarwst & rei)
- sitka gear to compliment stratus pants for whitetail
- Early season camo for muledeer hunt

For whomever was looking at one:. i bought an affinity elite 20ga last year and like it so far. No bird opportunities panned out but put some squirrels in the freezer and hope to kill my first turkey with it this year.

Koterman

FNG
1) Nikon 7s 8x42 to Swaro ELs 10x42
2) nothing to Puffy pants
3) nothing to Helinox char zero
4) SG Sky Tulus 6900 to EXO 4800

prm

WKR
Every year I review all my gear and compare to what’s new. I haven’t made many changes the last couple years, and quite frankly don‘t need to change anything. However, I am tweaking my strategy a bit and I love trying new gear.
  • Crispi CO and Salomon Quest boots ——> Hanwag Makra Trek. Still in testing but so far, so good.
  • Arc’teryx Atom ——> Kuiu Hybrid. No issue with Arc’teryx, my thinking is the hybrid is a little less insulated and potentially a better fit for my layering system. Still have the Kifaru LPP to add in the event of real cold.
  • Strategy change: more glassing, less walking.
  • Added Meopta 15x56 binos to the tool kit.
  • Pack: Stryker ——> Stryker XL. The extra pockets in the sides will be better for carrying a tripod for the Meoptas.
  • Kifaru Gun Bearer added. Less weight on shoulder.
  • Added another Woobie. Been ‘borrowing’ my wife’s. But if she goes with me I wanted a second. Serves two purposes; a) makes my 15 deg. bag comfortable down to zero (which it’s gotten down to the two seasons), and b) wrap up while glassing to stay warm, including feet.

HoneyDew

WKR
Every year I review all my gear and compare to what’s new. I haven’t made many changes the last couple years, and quite frankly don‘t need to change anything. However, I am tweaking my strategy a bit and I love trying new gear.
  • Crispi CO and Salomon Quest boots ——> Hanwag Makra Trek. Still in testing but so far, so good.
  • Arc’teryx Atom ——> Kuiu Hybrid. No issue with Arc’teryx, my thinking is the hybrid is a little less insulated and potentially a better fit for my layering system. Still have the Kifaru LPP to add in the event of real cold.
  • Strategy change: more glassing, less walking.
  • Added Meopta 15x56 binos to the tool kit.
  • Pack: Stryker ——> Stryker XL. The extra pockets in the sides will be better for carrying a tripod for the Meoptas.
  • Kifaru Gun Bearer added. Less weight on shoulder.
  • Added another Woobie. Been ‘borrowing’ my wife’s. But if she goes with me I wanted a second. Serves two purposes; a) makes my 15 deg. bag comfortable down to zero (which it’s gotten down to the two seasons), and b) wrap up while glassing to stay warm, including feet.
I love my woobie but I’ve used it for everything BUT hunting. It’s just too big for my packing style. How do you carry it? The attached stuff sack? Compression sack? I’ve tried a couple and it’s still huge. Just can’t justify it when I already have a puffy jacket and pants packed.

dalth22

FNG
I got a SO (Cimarron) with stove last season and it’s the best purchase I’ve made.

Lastcar

Lil-Rokslider
Replacing the BRS stove with the MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe for the extra wind protection and built in igniter.

Replacing the Havalon and Mora companion with the Benchmade Bugout Mini and Tyto handle with some blades under the 2 is 1 and 1 is none premise. But optimistic I can get through a deer or bear without needing to touch up the bugout mini. Hopefully... :)

my 10x glass, i went from slc's to vortex uhd's last year (just curious, but that curiosity ended pretty quick) was gonna get a new pair of slc's but got sidetracked with kowa genesis 10.5X's.... so far so good there, figured i would try and sell them and get some slc's, but i'm gonna go with them this year... i'm impressed. my next binos will probably be the NL pures.

getting a spartan bipod, going to get the kryptek takur rain gear (been happy with kuiu, but again, i'm curious and they seem like good rain gear)

just ordered a stone glacier bino harness today, and a razco holster for it for my glock 20, the stone will likely replace my outdoor vision harness, which i do like, i think i'll like the stone better though.

also ordered a duplex lite frame this morning and reckoning bag, and a grab it.... it's not going to replace my EXO, but it will just be another option if i like it.... it's the last pack system i have not tried that i wanted to. last spring i got a seek outside, then later a MR Metcalf, they have both moved on but i love my EXO.

getting a javelin bipod for my rifle (and wife's)

don't need much for clothes, but the few things i get will be from kryptek's altitude line... another thing i have been meaning to try.

going to get the new fold up sissi styx, they look perfect

probably going to pick up a pair of zamberlans, if not another pair of crispis.

switched up arrows for my recurve to rampages, which are great shafts so far. most consistent spine i have ever messed with.... i know they won't be as tough as my axis, but i was able to shed some arrow weight, and my brain likes the trajectory a lot more (went from 660gr to 540gr) not that it matters, but i will have almost 25% foc with lighted nocks (i know, not very trad:ROFLMAO:) gonna shoot valkyrie blood eagles with the stick (as well as iron will)

everything is staying exactly the same on the wheel bow.

i feel like i forgot some stuff, but that's what comes to mind...... don't really need anything, or big problems with equipment in 2020, i just like testing different stuff and forming my own opinions. the only things i didn't like last year was my UHD's and my SO pack, and the pack was actually awesome, it just didn't fit my body right.... i still highly recommend SO packs, i really wanted mine to work, and i am one of the rare ones that doesn't gel with the revolution frame. if it fit me well, it would be my primary pack, super light, great quality, and like x-pac here on the coast.

my eyes didn't like the UHD's, but with initial reviews my curiosity got the best of me.... i would rather have the much lighter and better ergos of the razor hd's, they aren't much worse and a lot lighter. i was hoping to like the uhd's, i planned on using the 10's to try them out, then i was going to switch back to slc's and buy the 18X uhd, but that's not happening at this point

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
Want to know an even lighter, more efficient setup? Replace the Soto Windmaster, which is quite large, with the titanium BRS 300-T stove from Amazon. Take your Jetboil and cut the upper third off of it to reduce the weight and size. This will be much lighter than the Soto route and waaay more efficient as the stove arms fit up inside the heat exchanger. You'll use far less gas and boil quicker. Or, just use the BRS with the ti cup. I have the Soto and will never take it backpack hunting anymore.

I've had a BRS stove for ages and found it a little finicky in windy conditions, but I've never even considered combining it with the Jet Boil pot. I'll have to do some measuring and weighing to see if it'll be worth it. The pot itself is still fairly heavy when compared to a titanium one.

jrdnschl

FNG
Bushnell H2O 10x42 binoculars for Leupold BX-4 10x42. I have to say the Leupold glass is definitely more clear, but I would not say they were worth the $400 extra dollars I spent on them over my old Bushnell's.

ChrisAU

WKR
my 10x glass, i went from slc's to vortex uhd's last year (just curious, but that curiosity ended pretty quick) was gonna get a new pair of slc's but got sidetracked with kowa genesis 10.5X's.... so far so good there, figured i would try and sell them and get some slc's, but i'm gonna go with them this year... i'm impressed. my next binos will probably be the NL pures.

getting a spartan bipod, going to get the kryptek takur rain gear (been happy with kuiu, but again, i'm curious and they seem like good rain gear)

just ordered a stone glacier bino harness today, and a razco holster for it for my glock 20, the stone will likely replace my outdoor vision harness, which i do like, i think i'll like the stone better though.

also ordered a duplex lite frame this morning and reckoning bag, and a grab it.... it's not going to replace my EXO, but it will just be another option if i like it.... it's the last pack system i have not tried that i wanted to. last spring i got a seek outside, then later a MR Metcalf, they have both moved on but i love my EXO.

getting a javelin bipod for my rifle (and wife's)

don't need much for clothes, but the few things i get will be from kryptek's altitude line... another thing i have been meaning to try.

going to get the new fold up sissi styx, they look perfect

probably going to pick up a pair of zamberlans, if not another pair of crispis.

switched up arrows for my recurve to rampages, which are great shafts so far. most consistent spine i have ever messed with.... i know they won't be as tough as my axis, but i was able to shed some arrow weight, and my brain likes the trajectory a lot more (went from 660gr to 540gr) not that it matters, but i will have almost 25% foc with lighted nocks (i know, not very trad:ROFLMAO:) gonna shoot valkyrie blood eagles with the stick (as well as iron will)

everything is staying exactly the same on the wheel bow.

i feel like i forgot some stuff, but that's what comes to mind...... don't really need anything, or big problems with equipment in 2020, i just like testing different stuff and forming my own opinions. the only things i didn't like last year was my UHD's and my SO pack, and the pack was actually awesome, it just didn't fit my body right.... i still highly recommend SO packs, i really wanted mine to work, and i am one of the rare ones that doesn't gel with the revolution frame. if it fit me well, it would be my primary pack, super light, great quality, and like x-pac here on the coast.

my eyes didn't like the UHD's, but with initial reviews my curiosity got the best of me.... i would rather have the much lighter and better ergos of the razor hd's, they aren't much worse and a lot lighter. i was hoping to like the uhd's, i planned on using the 10's to try them out, then i was going to switch back to slc's and buy the 18X uhd, but that's not happening at this point
Would like to know your thoughts on the OV vs SG bino harness. After trying them all, I settled on OV and love it. Then the SG came out and it has my interest, if for no reason other than I haven’t had my hands on one.

That a bomb of a upgrade.

new boots. My lowa Tibet’s are worn out

new glass. Vortex in the trash or back for warranty claims, scope and binos

New rifle. Selling a few that don’t get used

new pad- winter and fall fancy one

replace some worn hunting cloths

That’s a expensive start.
Got Kenetrek’s, so far I’m Happy Happy Happy.

Got SLC’s, dem nice on the eyes

PRC paid and on Order. Waiting is hard

Pads are out of stock. Just waiting on Exed or Thermarest to restock.

I’m ready for fall!

Would like to know your thoughts on the OV vs SG bino harness. After trying them all, I settled on OV and love it. Then the SG came out and it has my interest, if for no reason other than I haven’t had my hands on one.
i think the OV is an excellent bino harness. it's early to make any serious claims about the SG, but it's a really nice harness too, very slim profile and intuitive, i like the waterproof aspect too.

so far, the OV feels heavier due to the lightweight harness... if that's not a problem, i will really like it... i would say the OV is a tougher harness, i think the top of the SG where the eye cups are always against will wear at some point, but i think it will still last plenty long.

you have no reason to regret the OV, if you like it (i like mine i just like trying different stuff) you aren't missing out. i think the SG will be the best minimalist harness out there, it's sleek, waterproof, and very adjustable, i do think you will "feel" the harness more vs the OV, the OV has a great comfortable harness, and i like the storage it has. i pulled my rain fly out of the bottom and carried a lens pen, and carried a couple lens wipes in the mesh pocket between the harness and your body.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crazy, but I don't think I'm changing anything for next fall :) (I lied, I have new boots- Crispi Thor II's replacing well worn LaSportiva Omega's)

I did book a 2023 Dall hunt though and have decided to give my inherited M70 Featherweight a complete overhaul- Bansner stock w/ bedding and Cerakote action/barrel

Fireman5569

Lil-Rokslider
I upgraded from a 0deg big agnes sleeping bag to a UGQ xl bandit 10 deg, super warm and very light at just over 1 lb, nemo tensor alpine and a xped downmat 7 for winter excursions, Seek outside dcf cimarron with large u turn stove, soto windmaster lighter and more powerful than my pocket rocket. also looking to lighten my load where I can.

tclipse

Lil-Rokslider
Got a FL leafy top to replace the one I've been using for the past 15+ years, and a set of plythal cold weather camo from the recent camofire sales.

Also finally splurged on some decent binoculars, got the Vortex Crossfires with a Kuiu harness in Valo. Mostly hunting eastern hardwoods and didn't need anything crazy.

JDJHNTR

FNG
Replacing EL Range 10x42’s with something smaller and lighter. Thinking Leica Ultravid 8x42’s.

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Already replaced:
Pack: SG Avail 2200 -> SG Archer 6400, so far I love the new big pack
Headlamp: Cheapo brand -> Fenix HL60R
Rangefinder: None -> Sig Sauer KIL 1800BDX

To do:
Bino Harness: Marsupial -> SG Skyline, the Marsupial messes up my compass for land nav so I'll be selling it soon
Stove: No-name stove -> MSR or Jetboil, still undecided
Also looking to get 15x binos (probably Swarovski SLC) and my first compound bow

Replaced my Arctic Oven 10 Extreme with a AO 12, with vestibule. Replaced my Toaks cook pot with a Sterno pot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk