What gear are you replacing in 2021?

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
So far,
manfrotto with hog saddle replaced by slik 834 with a va-5 head

giant 500lb spotting scope with a athlon cronus (tripod, head and spotting scope thanks to cameralandny for the killer deals!)

my old gravity system that kept clogging with a platypus gravity system. bought the charcoal element as well in the event base camp is at the truck.

I posted earlier in this saying not much. I just booked a 2022 Coues deer hunt though and I don't have a lot of gear suited to that environment so I'm now gearing up for that.

Vandy321

WKR
off-season was spent dropping weight where I can and increasing slightly for a more dependable tent.

AGC -> Marsupial Gear bino harness
Kifaru 44 mag -> SG 5900
Cut bottom 2 legs off my promaster tripod
Built lightweight 7RM (7lb scoped)
Kifaru supertarp -> Hille Soulo

Ended up dropping about 4lbs not including rifle weight.

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
Razor HD 10x42 binos; upgrade to Swaro 12x42 NL Pure binos
Weatherby Vanguard RC 300 WM ; upgrade to R Bros 7mm RM
Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 scope; upgrade to Zeiss V6 3-18x50 scope
Light: Fenix PD35 (1,000 Lumen); upgrade to Fenix TK26R (1,500 Lumen) white/red/green
2016 Kuiu Ultra 6000 backpack; upgrade to 2021 Kuiu Pro 6000 backpack

And I may be upgrading right shoulder...impingement has been bugging me for a few years.

Last edited:

TN2shot07

WKR
Just dropped off the 25-06 for a cerakote job and added a vx5.

I’m strongly considering a Hatch bipod, the flexibility looks nice although they aren’t super light. I’d also like to swap out my avail for an Exo but that may have to wait another year.

hunterjmj

WKR
Adding the Kifaru Minikeg to the lineup this year. Have hunted for years with a Kifaru Longhunter but it's overkill for what I do. I'll still pack meat with the Longhunter but hunt with the minikeg.
Last year I started organizing my gear with seatosummit lightweight dry bags and have really narrowed down what I bring in my pack in a more organized way. I know exactly what and where everything is. I'll be getting an inReach as well. If I can swing it I'd like to upgrade my rangefinder but we'll see.

bline

FNG
I just got a MR Beartooth 80 to fill the needs of my daypack and large framed backpack. Last fall I had a rough pack out for my cow elk and would have saved a trip if I had been able to haul more meat out the first trip back to the truck to get my framed pack. Hoping to get an inReach this fall too.

So far this year I have replaced:

Binos: went from 12x50 BX4 Proguides to 15x56 Santiam HDs.

Spotter and Tripod: Had Viper HD 15-45x65 and got its big brother the 20-60x85 and a SLIK CF tripod.

Rangefinder: Leupold VX1000 TBR to SIG 1800 BDX

I also picked up a KUIU 7000lt bag to go with my 3600.

I am thinking about selling a VX5HD 3-15x56 and buying a Mark5 HD, still on the fence. That particular VX5HD is one of the best low light scopes I have ever owned.

The main change I made this year was my main rifle for deer/bear:
Remington 760 30-06 --> Tikka T3x .308

Just got a Kuiu Peleton 240 vest and Kenai Ultra vest to add to my clothing system. Still looking for some insulated pants to replace my heavy Cabela's bibs.

Adding the Kifaru Minikeg to the lineup this year. Have hunted for years with a Kifaru Longhunter but it's overkill for what I do. I'll still pack meat with the Longhunter but hunt with the minikeg.
Last year I started organizing my gear with seatosummit lightweight dry bags and have really narrowed down what I bring in my pack in a more organized way. I know exactly what and where everything is. I'll be getting an inReach as well. If I can swing it I'd like to upgrade my rangefinder but we'll see.
You just reminded me I need to replace my old delorme se inreach. I sold it a few weeks ago and need to replace it with something before the spring bear hunt. If I don’t my wife will lose her mind. She hates I hunt in grizzly country.

Hofhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Went on my first backcountry hunt this past fall and man I found out fast on what I liked and did not like.

Replacing my fold up knife with a fixed blade
Redoing my med kit
New pillow - thinking about one of the down ones.
Water filter - going to a hand pump. Switching to the Katadyn Hiker Pro

SquirrelyDan

Lil-Rokslider
Maven c1 10x42 - B2 9x45
Maven cs1 spotter - kowa 773
Danner boots- kenetrek mountain extremes
Badlands pack - kifaru 44 mag
No tripod - slik 634/va-5
Cheap Costco bag- marmot helium 15

Will likely replace my black Kifaru ZXR with Kifaru ranger green 44 Mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peaceman

Lil-Rokslider
I rarely upgrade because gear that has proved the test of time is typically reliable gear. My 1993 Dana Designs pack can still carry more meat than I would dare carry.
I have a '93 Dana Terraplane (or Astraplane) Just like this i am selling. Used on one trip and is as new, asking $175 plus shipping. Its a size Large and too long in the torso for me. It is also red if that matters.

CTXhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Last year was my first western hunt. Completely DIY and my gear showed it. I probably carried 65lbs into the mountains despite my weight conscious efforts. I got an exo this year, swapped my puffy to the SG Grumman, swapped to the Grakksaw game bags, picked up a much lighter rifle, among a few other things. I also grabbed a SO LBO and a stove. I froze my butt off for too many nights!! Lol I have very much enjoyed the gear part of all of this and I’m looking forward to a time when I just buy a tag and a lot less gear, but as a beginner, it seems like it’s more gear than tags.