What gear are you replacing in 2021?

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
Sleeping pad - Exped synmat
Stove - BRS and Sterno pot
Rifle- McMillan stock, Leupold scope, brake, and trigger on my old Weatherby.

HNTR918

WKR
Vortex SSP Tripod ---> Sirui VA-5 & Slik Pro CF 634

Crispi Thor II size 10 ---> Crispi Thor II size 10.5

+SO Talon in Spectra

+SO Revolution Hipbelt Pocket in Spectra

Drenalin

WKR
Replaced my cheap Cascade Mtn aluminum trekking poles with cheap Cascade Mtn carbon fiber poles.

Replace Vortex High Country tripod with Vortex Summit SS-P, now waiting on BlackOvis Treeline CF tripod and RRS ball head to show up to replace the SS-P.

Replaced inflatable sleeping pads with self-inflating...we'll see.

Replaced BRS stove and Toaks pot with Jetboil, then went back to the BRS.

Replaced Vortex Dimaondback HDs with Leupold BX-4s.

Replaced Tyto with Benchmade Mini Bugout.

Going to try out a BTR stool in place of the Thermarest Z-Seat.

Replaced my random tripod that I found at a garage sale with a used vortex summit Tripod. Why- the Tripod is won't hold the spotter up and I broke the mounting plate. Also upgraded my bushnell spotter to a Hawke, shout out to doug. Why- the bushnell was not sharp and is dark in low light. Saving up to upgrade my binos from 12x50 diamondbacks.

jlh42581

WKR
Trying different ammo in paps gun, its a first year savage 110 .270. Thanks to a member here for helping even find ammo. I loved the gun for its sentimental value but i realized last year just how nice it really is in the action, the length of pull, the old man had it DIALED. Only had to replace the leupold after my uncle owned it for awhile.

I sold my 30.06 for a 45 colt rossi 92. I havent worked that in yet either but I wanted something extremely light and small as most of my shots are treestand distances here in the east. Going with the buckhorn open sights, no scope.

Sold all but 2 pieces of my sitka. Felt like I was glowing in the woods. Moved to mostly all solids. Bought the leafy from FL in a large and had to send it back for an XL.

Traded out my rock climbing harness to go back to a HSS. We will see how that goes. I think they all suck but im not willing to die.

- Replaced my Lowa Spotter / Vortex Tripod set up with a pair of Vortex 18x56 and Kestrel Monopod
- Upgraded from Vortex Razor HD 10x42 to Swaro NL Pure 10x42 ... This "hurt" and hope I didn't just buy into the hype with that one but we'll see
- Testing out the Jetboil Stash
- Replaced my puffy and mid-weight fleece with a Kuiu Kenai Ultra jacket
- Replaced my Exo 3500 Pack with a Kuiu 4000 Pro LT pack - saved 2 pounds and love the adjustability and simplicity of the Kuiu - also not of fan of Exo the company
- Replaced my Salomon 4D boots with Crispi Thor II. Really liking the stiffer sole and light weight of the Thor IIs.
- Replaced my aqua tabs for the BFree
- Replaced my old Vortex 1000 range finder with the Leopold Rx4 Draw
- Tested several other bio harnesses, but stuck with my Mystery Ranch. I can fit the range finder in one side pocket and wind checker in the other. On the bottom mounted my Glock 20 one it's side using the ACG pistol harness to the molle strips on the bottom of the harness. Really tight, compact system. I have a used green new-style sitka binocular harness for anyone interested.
- Testing a move from a OR Helium Bivy to a Tarptent Aeon li tent - same weight. I've run the OR Helium Bivy for years and love it's ease of use and small foot print - can't tell you how many deer beds I've slept in. We'll see if the tent lasts ...
- Switched from my old Prime Logic to a Bowtech Solution SD ... Love the deadlock cam system for tuning.
- Stiffened up my arrows to 250 spine and moved from 475 grain to 615 and 20+% FOC. Building a 650+ grain arrow for elk. Really geeked up on arrow builds - bare shaft tuning, nock tuning, etc.
- Shifting from Sitka camouflage to solid colors. Switched pants to Black Diamond Alpine Light and Alpine Pants (check them out). Moving to cheap brown and green sun hoodies from amazon and testing the 97 fleece tops from Kuiu. If the fleece tops work - it's a 10 oz. savings over Sitka Heavy Weight.
- sleep system (enlightened quilt, thermrest pad) have been solid for years.

Current overnight pack weight with this new gear is around 24 lbs including 3L of water and 1 day/night food. Needed for arthritic knees and hip replacement last fall and foot fusion 2 years ago ...

Last edited:

Savage99

WKR
Not replacing, but looking at better glassing options for longer sessions. Maybe actually get a tripod and spotter or tripod and bino strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update:
- Picked up Sirui T-004SK & VA-5 from gohunt. Basically an almost free tripod with VA-5 head.
- Got a Minox 50 from another member today!

I’m not judging animals really, just wanted something to reach further and more stable than my 10x’s sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did not need another spotting scope due to already owning and loving my Swaro STX 65/95. Kept telling myself that if I bring the STX 65 on my upcoming mountain goat hunt, I'd basically be paying myself $1500 to carry it versus buying a Kowa 554 and saving 30+ ounces (some expensive weight savings on a per-ounce basis).

But Doug's price was too damn tempting so I went ahead and ordered a 554 last Friday. Looking forward to taking it for a spin on black bear in AZ and then on Kodiak in early October.

BSLugnut

FNG
For me, this is what I have changed so far:

Replaced my 12 year old pack with the Stone Glacier EVO 40/56.
Replaced my Burris rifle scope with the Leopold VX-3HD 3.5-10x50 CDS-ZL Duplex.
Upgraded my APA Nano bow to the APA Black Mamba 28.
Replaced my old Garmin GPS with OnX
Replaced my SPOT Messenger with a Garmin InReach Mini
Added the Platypus GravityWorks 6.0L Filter System
Replaced my old Gerber Knife with the Argali Argali Carbon Knife

Presto

FNG
Looking to upgrade scopes to a 4-14 scope for a browning .270 wsm and .338 wm that I got passed down

Presto

FNG
Also replaced cheap tripod with a vortex gt pro tripod and added first gen 20-60x85 razor spotter.

gelton

WKR
Jet boil ti for an MSR Reactor, no other reason except I have bunrnt up one ti trying to melt snow and its 5 years old...

1. Infinite Edge Pro replaced with VXR 28: I had the Pro for a year and a half and took my first buck. Hooked on bow hunting now and decided to invest in a one and done bow

2. SCAR 17 replaced by home brew 7.62x39 URG on Colt lower [Hog Hunting]: 308 is too expensive for hogs now so switching to 7.62x39, still use the SCAR for white tail