What gear are you replacing in 2021?

manitou1

WKR
Replaced my Mystery Ranch Metcalf with a Kuiu Pro 3600 and Pro 6000. Wow, what a difference in comfort for me! Love the bag layout of the Kuiu also.

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
Upgrades made in 2021

Kuiu icon pro 5200 —> EXO 4800
Havalon —> Tyto 1.1 (not convinced this is an upgrade)
Leupold gold ring —> Swarovski ATS 65
Swarovski 8.5x42 EL —> NL Pure 10x42
Sawyer water filter —> Platypus QuickDraw / Steripen
Cabelas packable rain gear —> Kuiu Chugach NX

Also picked up a SO Cimarron and med uturn stove. But still have and use my other tent depending on the situation.

Last edited:

Eric375

Lil-Rokslider
Getting a new mountain rifle. My deer stand/target rifle I’d just too long and heavy for backpack hunts

Replacing my Seek Outside Revolution setup likely with an integrated SO pack, probably a custom 6300 bag with a full length zipper.

Replacing my Merrell Moabs with new Merrell Moabs, maybe a different color this time.

Replacing my Lowa Baffin boots with Kenetrek fire boots.

Voyageur

WKR
Replacing my Seek Outside Revolution setup likely with an integrated SO pack, probably a custom 6300 bag with a full length zipper.

Replacing my Merrell Moabs with new Merrell Moabs, maybe a different color this time.

Replacing my Lowa Baffin boots with Kenetrek fire boots.
Curious as to why you are replacing the SO Revo with the integrated system?

The revo is a great setup but IMHO it is a little too strappy and complicated. I realized that I could accomplish everything I needed with a Unaweep 6300 that would be simpler, lighter, and especially cleaner than the Revolution alternative. Before I had a Revolution pack I had a SO Divide - I think the SO frame really shines with the integrated packs.

ffiivvee

Lil-Rokslider
I hope to be getting a new pack soon. I'm torn between a Kifaru Shapecharge, MR Pup Up 28 and the Sitka Tool bucket. I'm primarily a whitetail hunter here in the north east. Specifically I am a one stick saddle hunter (I know...the meme) so I don't need a beefy pack but just a solid one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not necessarily an upgrade…. But during the Exo Black Friday sale, I added the 4800 bag, to my current 3200 setup!

I hope to be getting a new pack soon. I'm torn between a Kifaru Shapecharge, MR Pup Up 28 and the Sitka Tool bucket. I'm primarily a whitetail hunter here in the north east. Specifically I am a one stick saddle hunter (I know...the meme) so I don't need a beefy pack but just a solid one.

I own the Kifaru SC with Sherman Pocket and love it for whitetail treestand/saddle hunts. I have not used the other two mentioned, though.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
Cabelas Alaskan Pack -----> MR GLMT Selway
Leupold Cascade Bino's----> Vortex Razor HD
Hanwag Alaskan Boots -----> Hanwag Trapper Tops ( in all fairness, not an upgrade just trying another boot).

one thing I added that I had never used before, cost nothing compared to the items above and probably has had one of the biggest affects on my hunting is a binocular adapter for my tripod. I can't expalin how much of a difference this thing makes.

next on the list (in the new year) will be a new backpacking tent.

ffiivvee

Lil-Rokslider
I own the Kifaru SC with Sherman Pocket and love it for whitetail treestand/saddle hunts. I have not used the other two mentioned, though.

I took advantage of the black Friday sale this past weekend and bought myself a milticam sherman. I'm hoping that I'll be able to rig it up on my current pack (MR Scapegoat 25) and that it will tide me over on the urge of upgrading

Moserkr

WKR
“Upgraded” my tripod to an aoka off of amazon, added a pan head, shooting yoke, and bino adapter. Surprisingly nice for $150.
Bought new crispi briksdal boots too but not very happy with them. They dont exactly agree with my feet.

Been looking at other stuff for next year. Cutting some weight with a new sleeping bag, pad, and tarp. Thinking el coyote quilt, xtherm pad, and a dcf tarp - that would weigh less than my current sleeping bag…

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
Between work and a new baby, I haven't even gotten out to hunt anything other than grouse this year. I was planning to go after moose but was in the field for all but the last weekend of season and weather rolled in. I did replace a worn out pair of Zamberlan boots with a pair of Crispi Guide GTX. The Zamberlan's are good boots but I've had them for 5 years and they showed it.

As for the OP and his Black Diamond Storm, I use mine almost daily during PT down to -30 (any colder than than and I'm working out indoors). It's on it's second Alaska winter and going strong.

“Upgraded” my tripod to an aoka off of amazon, added a pan head, shooting yoke, and bino adapter. Surprisingly nice for $150.
Bought new crispi briksdal boots too but not very happy with them. They dont exactly agree with my feet.

Been looking at other stuff for next year. Cutting some weight with a new sleeping bag, pad, and tarp. Thinking el coyote quilt, xtherm pad, and a dcf tarp - that would weigh less than my current sleeping bag…

Can’t go wrong with El Coyote! Brian walked me through the fitting process, and I absolutely love my custom El Coyote quilt! Will never go back to a bag!!!!

Ryan47

FNG
I am looking to upgrade to a SO stove for my Cimarron. Going to sell my Kifaru Medium and TI Goat cylinder stove to fund it. Trying to save a little weight but still have a decent sized fire box.

Moserkr

WKR
Can’t go wrong with El Coyote! Brian walked me through the fitting process, and I absolutely love my custom El Coyote quilt! Will never go back to a bag!!!!

He has built a good reputation here. Actually just sent them an email to ask about thoughts on temp/sizing for me. Next season is a ways off but Im already thinking about the points Im going to burn.

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
Razor HD 10x42 binos; upgrade to Swaro 12x42 NL Pure binos
Weatherby Vanguard RC 300 WM ; upgrade to R Bros 7mm RM
Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 scope; upgrade to Zeiss V6 3-18x50 scope
Light: Fenix PD35 (1,000 Lumen); upgrade to Fenix TK26R (1,500 Lumen) white/red/green
2016 Kuiu Ultra 6000 backpack; upgrade to 2021 Kuiu Pro 6000 backpack

And I may be upgrading right shoulder...impingement has been bugging me for a few years.
I couldn't be happier with my upgrades. Used my new RBros 7mm RM, Zeiss V6 3-18x50, and 12x42 NL Pures taking a nice whitetail down in S. TX at the end of Nov.

not just one item but clothing. I haven’t hunted ina while and want to replace my gear. Looking at Sitka and firstlite