What gear are you saving or gaining weight this year?

boom

WKR
none. if anything, i think my bow got HEAVIER.

i am however, trying to drop 20lbs off my fat ass. i have dumped 13 already..by 20, i mean 20 more. i am finding that this is going to get costly. with the short days, i might have to join a gym.

Browtine

WKR
I'm wanting to pick up a WM Apache or Alpenlite bag which will save me almost a pound over my WM Antelope. Also going from a Kifaru small box stove to the medium oval 7" will which save another 1.5lbs. I already have light weight insulating layers and hardshells so the next item that goes on the ounce counting chopping block will probably be my older G2 Longhunter.

gdavis

Lil-Rokslider
Leaving gators at home. I find when alpine hiking while sheep hunting I end up packing them more than wearing them so my feet can breathe, keeping my socks dry and feed fresh longer. Saves about 1lb.
Switch from 0 degree synthetic down bag to 20 degree down quilt, while wearing my SD Ultra hooded jacket and pants to bed. Saves me about 3lb.
Switch from Vortex GT Pro tripod to Slik, saves about 3lbs.
Wearing Chugach rain pants as only pants while sheep hunting, leaving sides open on hard hikes instead of packing on my back. Saves about 1lb.
Total sheep hunt lb cuts: About 8lbs.

bobhunts

WKR
Changing out the Jet Boil to a MSR Pocket Rocket 2 and Titanium pot. Ditching my Big Agness Copper Spur UL2 for a Nemo Hornet Elite 2p. Still looking at other options too besides myself.

cmahoney

WKR
I picked up the solo copper spur last year and it has plenty of room with the vestibule plus the weight savings from the 2 man I was using. It was the way to go for me this year for scouting with the bugs that would have killed me in a floor-less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mosby

WKR
I just got a new tent. Going from a 4 season to a 3 tent saves over 2 lbs. Buying a new sleeping bag and going with a lighter weight pack. There my big 3. Wife not pleased. Joined a new gym. Started a new lifting program for this year. I need to get stronger and thinner. Going to do a lot more lifting this year and overnight hiking trips. I am hoping to take least 20 lbs off before fall, as well. I think I can tweek my cook kit, food, kill kit etc and save some weight there also. I bought a small electronic scale, so I can compare equipment and options. Gives me something to do at night.

Would love to switch out my frame on my Kifaru from the hunter duplex to the newer UL frame. Would not save a lot of weight but I did try one out and it felt extremely comfortable. Just not sure I can justify the expense!

Those are some solid changes. I hear you on the Hilleberg. I shared my Nallo 4 GT with my partner for years but now the MegaTarp with TiGoat bivy combo saves us a bunch of weight and space in our packs with very little compromise in comfort.

My minimal changes for 2013...

Crocs to New Balance Minimus trail shoes. (-4 ounces and 10.0 ounces actual weight) These shoes are a huge improvement in usability. I can do anything in them if need be and they make amazing stalking shoes. They are also great rock climbing shoes. :)

Kifaru T1 modified w/ aluminum stays, small belt pocket and standard lid to Kifaru BT1 modified with gutted LH lid, small belt pocket, and 1 lash straps. (-0.9 ounces and 96.1 ounces actual weight)

Exped UL7 M to BA Q-core SL (long). (+4.5 ounces and 22.6 ounces actual weight with seam sealer lines) This is 4.5 ounces that I would add any day of the week for what is gained. This is the most comfortable pad out there for the weight and R-value and not having my feet hanging off the end is an added plus.

Kuiu Spindrift to Kuiu Superdown. (About -4 ounces and 11.0 ounces actual weight)

My entire pack weight for 10 days with everything except my bow and water comes in at less than 44 lbs. That with a great deal of luxuries and comfort foods. My packing list/spreadsheet is to the point that there is no longer buying 'better' or lighter gear. I'm sure I'll find something new to try next year however. I would love to pickup Luke's 10x32 Zeiss Victories and trade in my old 10x42 Monarchs. Lol.

Can you share or PM me your list? The lowest I can get my gear right now for 10 days would be around 50 lbs.

Pro953

WKR
Anyone here going to ditch the stove this year? I have heard the crew on hunt backcountry discuss this I think.

After chewing on the idea a bit i think I am giving it a shot on some early season hunts. I love coffee so that will be missed but I can survive without a mountain house for sure.

Still trying to figure out how to make it work without gaining weight on the food side but not having to pack in a stove does seem like a nice simplification.

For late season when it drops below freezing and the days are short, not sure I could do it. The hot beverage is quite the morale booster. But who knows.

slim9300

WKR
Can you share or PM me your list? The lowest I can get my gear right now for 10 days would be around 50 lbs.

Of course. PM me your email address. This is a super old post so my setup has improved but weight is still basically identical.

slim9300

WKR
Anyone here going to ditch the stove this year? I have heard the crew on hunt backcountry discuss this I think.

After chewing on the idea a bit i think I am giving it a shot on some early season hunts. I love coffee so that will be missed but I can survive without a mountain house for sure.

Still trying to figure out how to make it work without gaining weight on the food side but not having to pack in a stove does seem like a nice simplification.

For late season when it drops below freezing and the days are short, not sure I could do it. The hot beverage is quite the morale booster. But who knows.

No way for me. I have been backpack hunting now for 15 seasons and I would never go without a stove. I eat home cooked dehydrated meals. An 8-8.8 ounce meal ranges from 950 to 1250 calories depending on which one. Not only would I gain weight by ditching my stove, but eating my meals every night is one of the only foods I look forward to. This trend of nuts and bars was something I did when I first started. I will NEVER go back to that. I pack only things that taste good and have high calorie counts (for the most part).