What gear was a pleasant surprise?

This is the time of year to think about what to improve upon for next falls hunts. I thought I would share a few things that I think are "cant lose" products that I have stumbled upon that have surprised me in a positive way. In other words, you feel like you cant go wrong with your reccomendations. I'll go first.

1. Kryptek Cadog Pants. These are awesome for cold weather hunts with intermittant activitly. They have knee pads. They are warmer than they should be for their relatively low bulk.

2. Gaiters in snow. If you havent tried them, do it. You'll be drier and surprisingly much warmer.

3. Cabelas Euro Binoculars 10x42. The best binoculars that I have owned so far. Bright and Clear. Frequently on sale to put them on a price point with other much inferior binocs.

4. Tikka rifles...they are boring in a great way. They just do everything you could ever want. Smooth action, great trigger, accurate out of box with factory ammo.

5. Lowa Tibet boots

Last edited:

bsnedeker

WKR
First Lite Aerowool - I haven't tried a ton of merino stuff, but my Wick blew me away. It was my primary layer during a 9-day backcountry archery hunt in September, never stank and the comfort was amazing. I also wore it as my baselayer in November when I went back with a rifle for 8 days, same deal. I was extremely happy with the overall performance of my layering system this year, and the FL wick was the foundation of that system.

Next Mile Meals - Meatball Marina is the best dehydrated meal I have ever eaten! These meals also take very little water to dehydrate which is probably due to low-carb nature of the meals.

Crispi Nevada NI - Upgraded boots this year from my cheapo Irish Setters, loved them for both September and November.

Cabelas Space rain pants. Super light with small stuff sack. I wore them for a few sits in the white tail stand this year in some pretty serious rain and was bone dry.

I wasn't sure how long they would last because they are so thin but they have held up really well. I also wear them on windy days and they make a noticeable difference as a wind stopper.

Sitka Apex pants and the core lightweight hoody. This was my most comfortable September yet. The pants were breathable and durable enough to stand brush busting and very hot temperatures. The hoody was the most breathable top layer I have worn yet. I liked the hood as well. Never been a hood on a base layer type of guy. It has many uses though.

This thread seems to have turned more into a "great gear" thread than a pleasant surprise thread. I love most of my gear but wasn't surprised with much as I had done quite a bit of research beforehand.

One would be my Savage 116. I bought it more as a bridge gun but the dang thing is so accurate I hesitate to buy anything nicer.

Trial153

WKR
Mystery ranch pop up 18 was kick ass a day pack and meat hauler.

Sitka apex Hoody, slightly less warm then the core heavyweight but way way bigger temperature range.

Sitka grinder pants, I think they are the most versatile pants in the line up, easy to go from early sept to late October in these.

Garmin xero....total game changer, biggest archery product to be released since the laser range finder.

Also I been testing out a new puffy that I am almost ready to recommend....giving it another month or two of use and pretty sure it’s the best down puffy I have owned.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked the wildcat composites stock that I had put on the Remington 700 .375 I carry as my guide gun. I purchased it thinking I'd give a Canadian company my business and my expectations were exceeded. I gave Stuart my measurements and without ever meeting me in person I received the gun back and it fit me so much better than the factory stock.

TheCougar

WKR
Going with tenacious tape. I mean, the stuff works on EVERYTHING. Last year I fell backwards on a pack out and put a elk G3 through the pocket of my brand new Obsidians and ripped the other pocket with a sharp stick when I somehow walked into a deadfall branch. I cut out TT and put it on the inside and outside of both holes and it has held through 2 weeks of hunting and multiple washes. I never thought it would hold...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk