What gear was a pleasant surprise?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ryo bino harness. Simple, effective, inexpensive.

Sitka traverse gloves. True liner gloves never did much for me. These bring some warmth and protection with minimal bulk. Sitka did their homework to maximize dexterity.

Tension lock with webbing as my belt. Simple, effective, inexpensive.

Phone case that holds a few cards. You don’t realize how much junk you are carrying with a wallet.

Wrangler nylon pants. Seriously for those trying to budget into hunting spend $25 on them and put your savings towards boots, pack, shelter, tag & travel costs.

Those kuiu socks. I gave in and bought the lighter and heavier version. They really do add just enough arch support and padding where you need it, definitely cut down on fatigue.

S.Clancy

WKR
Kayland Cross GTX boots. Super lightweight, waterproof, surprisingly warm and the fit is awesome. Plus, the price on STP right now is 109$

Whitty

FNG
I agree with the above post regarding the Kifaru gun bearer...works awesome. Second thing for me was a pair of $9.99 Walmart "crocs". Weighed 9.6oz and being able to put them on around camp after a long day in boots was money and just slipping them on to step out of the tent at night for bathroom breaks made for the best addition to my pack!

KUIU Yukon Gaitor. Never thought they could be so handy but, I was wrong. I ended up wearing them almost every day I went hunting this year.

Browning Tommy Boy Jacket. Best puffy I have ever owned. And, the weight is ridiculously light. Squishes up really small to go in the pack too. Great value and a much warmer jacket then I thought possible after unwrapping it. Wore a light baselayer, a midweight fleece, and this jacket into the teens setting for hours and stayed toasty warm. Multiple times.

Rick Young Bino harness. Didn't think the stretch cord would hold the bino that tight to my chest. But, they surely do. No flopping around and, the range finder attachment works great and holds them exactly where you need it. It is a great setup and now my favorite by far for eastern hunting.

Last but not least, my Kifaru lite frame. I spent a lot of time hunting both my older hunter and this frame this year. After a summer of training in both, I was still favoring the hunter frame. But, after using the Lite with the vented back and, the superior rigidity under heavy loads, i has become my favorite by a margin.

Agross

WKR
Brambler gaiters. For the longest time I couldn't figure out why the hell people wore gaiters. I tried em this past winter. Man they are great
Those wrangler mountain flex whatever pants. I now have three pair, two lined and one not. Flat out great pants, cheap.

Ac338

WKR
Iwom Xt. Was definitely a game changer for my cold weather bowhunting. Never did I get cold during all day whitetail rut sits in the midwest,which I could never say before this.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crispi Briksdal SF GTX - Fit my foot great right out of the box. Driest boot I've ever worn. Love them and hope they last for a few years.

Grangers waterproofing wax. Every other leather treatment ive used is worthless, and I figured this stuff would be as well. It isnt. It flat works. And LASTS. For reference, ive used bee natural, mink oil, oubenauffs, crispi, bickmore, ray holes, redwing, sno seal, toilet wax rings.....I think thats it. It works in wet snow, day after day. The ultimate test in my view.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Grangers waterproofing wax. Every other leather treatment ive used is worthless, and I figured this stuff would be as well. It isnt. It flat works. And LASTS. For reference, ive used bee natural, mink oil, oubenauffs, crispi, bickmore, ray holes, redwing, sno seal, toilet wax rings.....I think thats it. It works in wet snow, day after day. The ultimate test in my view.
Curious does the tub say waterproofing wax on it? I know Granger makes a few different ones. I might give it a try on my new boots

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

tttoadman

WKR
Most of my gear is only bought after hrs or research. I usually have higher expectations than most gear is capable of. These are a couple things that come to mind for me.

the strange "balaclava" word we all hate. I can't believe how much this thing takes the edge off and keeps me warm in heavy winds or sitting.https://www.backcountry.com/outdoor...wukCfcCO09-VQwyaf18aWmuESW-Czp1EaAhCpEALw_wcB

Trekking poles. It is absolutely amazing how much they do for me. I can cover many more miles than I ever dreamed of before.

AGC Cub Max. I just wanted to step up to a bino harness and something convenient. I have been really impressed with this pc for carrying all of my emergency gear, lighting, calls, tags. I carry my gun on top of it all day in the field hunting.

OP
B
Iwom Xt. Was definitely a game changer for my cold weather bowhunting. Never did I get cold during all day whitetail rut sits in the midwest,which I could never say before this.
Never heard of this. just looked it up. Very interesting!