What gear was a pleasant surprise?

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
Most of my gear is only bought after hrs or research. I usually have higher expectations than most gear is capable of. These are a couple things that come to mind for me.

the strange "balaclava" word we all hate. I can't believe how much this thing takes the edge off and keeps me warm in heavy winds or sitting.https://www.backcountry.com/outdoor...wukCfcCO09-VQwyaf18aWmuESW-Czp1EaAhCpEALw_wcB

Trekking poles. It is absolutely amazing how much they do for me. I can cover many more miles than I ever dreamed of before.

AGC Cub Max. I just wanted to step up to a bino harness and something convenient. I have been really impressed with this pc for carrying all of my emergency gear, lighting, calls, tags. I carry my gun on top of it all day in the field hunting.

Which trekking poles did you go with?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
First Lite Furnace Top, Fuse Bottom, Uncompahgre Puffy Pant, and the Catalysts all were new to me and worked well

and although not new to me this year, still liking that Kenetrek Hardscrabble boot. Melted the glue in the toe when I snoozed a bit by the fire, quick fix with their brand shoe goo and back to normal.

Still waiting on a Kanab>Obsidian that doesn't shred in brush...

Really enjoyed my Kenetrek Hardscrabble boots. I like the low uppers. Supportive but not too hot in the summer.

I was really surprised at the response I got from large Rio Grande Cutthroat trout when I started throwing big streamers in small high country streams. Gonna do more of that this year.

Iwom Xt. Was definitely a game changer for my cold weather bowhunting. Never did I get cold during all day whitetail rut sits in the midwest,which I could never say before this.
Curious does the tub say waterproofing wax on it? I know Granger makes a few different ones. I might give it a try on my new boots

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Yes, the lid on the tin says grangers waterproofing wax.

Agross

WKR
Grangers waterproofing wax. Every other leather treatment ive used is worthless, and I figured this stuff would be as well. It isnt. It flat works. And LASTS. For reference, ive used bee natural, mink oil, oubenauffs, crispi, bickmore, ray holes, redwing, sno seal, toilet wax rings.....I think thats it. It works in wet snow, day after day. The ultimate test in my view.
I'm gonna have to try this stuff

twall13

WKR
Grangers is good stuff. It's what Crispi recommended before they came out with their own product. I haven't bought any for a few years but it was fairly tough to find when I bought some. Hopefully it's easier to get ahold of now cause I'm about due for some more.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Grangers is good stuff. It's what Crispi recommended before they came out with their own product. I haven't bought any for a few years but it was fairly tough to find when I bought some. Hopefully it's easier to get ahold of now cause I'm about due for some more.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Just bought some on Amazon for $10. Prime also so free shipping.

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
Sawyer water filter kit. I have always been a MSR pump water filter guy until I decided to pull my old dromedary bladder and hose out of retirement and attach the sawyer quick connect to it. Very cheap, rugged, and effective. Being able to fill my bladder without even taking my pack off was a bit of a revelation to me. I always have a nalgene in the pack just in case but not having to balance it next to a stream while I pump at the same time is great. Its much lighter too.

Sleeperls

Lil-Rokslider
13.00 China headlamp. Going on 7 years, had some spills, been underwater etc. Expected them to last maybe a few weeks.

Pleasant surprises:

FL unpronouncable vest

Trekking poles (Black Diamond lower end) - unbelievable difference

Kifaru gun bearer - didn't trust it at first but now don't even think about it

The bonus one is the Rtic coffee mug - $8 to solve cold coffee

HMG Ultamid 4. I had a U2 for a couple seasons then decided that I wanted more room for when I’m not going solo. I was a little worried about how it would hold up in storms with heavy winds beings that it’s quiet a bit larger than my old proven U2. Well, there was no need to worry, the thing is practically bomb proof. With two people and all your gear there’s still plenty of room to spread out and it weighs just over a pound (material only).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbljack

WKR
for me it was leuko tape. I added it to my first aid kit this fall, and lucky I did. While using a folding saw cutting wood I got into my thumb with it and yep...it bled. Got some gauze on there, wrapped it up in leuko tape and hunted (on a backpack hunt) for 4 more days then showered at a hotel, got a nights sleep AND drove home 16 hours without that stuff ever coming off my thumb. I took the time to get it on there right when I first got injured hoping it would stay in place. I never would have thought it would have stayed on all that time. Hell...I had to get a knife to get it off when I got home. I was truly surprised by that.

The other item I wasn't so much surprised by them, but was glad I had them...and that was the FL puffy pants. They were great for glassing in cold conditions. I also bought them for the fall elk hunt and SO glad I had them with me.

Rolando

FNG
New stuff that I was happy with -
FL Klamath, Merino X neck gaiter, & Talus gloves

Older stuff that has continued to impress-
Cabelas (Meindl) Perfekt Hunter boots
Slick Trick broadheads

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
Crispi Wild Rock GTX - best bootsI have ever owned

Black Ovis merino long underwear and gloves - wear them almost daily here in MN

Sitka Timberline pants - wish i could find them in Moss in a 34R to go with my other pair

Goal Zero Sherpa 100 power pack - spent five days in an antelope blind in August; it saved my sanity by recharging my tablet over and over

Katabatic 15: Maiden voyage was Chugach in October. I’ve gotten cold in 0 bags in similar temps and this thing kept me toasty. Best I’ve slept in years while backpacking.

OR Archer

WKR
1. Luxe Gear Minipeak shelter. Great one man setup.
2. Kifaru Woodsman bag. Great late season bag.

manitou1

WKR
Merino socks and layers.
Mystery Ranch Pack
Kifaru gun bearer
Good Binos... didn't think it would make that much difference.