What gear was a pleasant surprise?

Mystery ranch pop up 18 was kick ass a day pack and meat hauler.

Sitka apex Hoody, slightly less warm then the core heavyweight but way way bigger temperature range.

Sitka grinder pants, I think they are the most versatile pants in the line up, easy to go from early sept to late October in these.

Garmin xero....total game changer, biggest archery product to be released since the laser range finder.

Also I been testing out a new puffy that I am almost ready to recommend....giving it another month or two of use and pretty sure it’s the best down puffy I have owned.

I finally bit on the MR pop up 28. Downsized from an Exo 5500. Realizing my treestand whitetail hunts are way more probable and reoccurring than my western bull elk hunts. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Injini toesock liners work great.

Kanab 2 pants took 7 days of AZ torture and never tore. Still getting cactus out of my ass but the pants are unfazed, must have got a good pair...Love those pants.

blackdawg

WKR
King of Mountain wool clothes. Should have prioritized this purchase 25 years ago. Combined with my merino underneath I am invincible to Mother Nature! I recently ordered wool lined super feet to complete the head to toe wool coverage.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed my Kenetrek Hardscrabble boots. I like the low uppers. Supportive but not too hot in the summer.

I was really surprised at the response I got from large Rio Grande Cutthroat trout when I started throwing big streamers in small high country streams. Gonna do more of that this year.

If they aren’t eating streamers I pretty much am not catching them. I might fish dries 8 times in a year between a couple hatches and a few hopper days. Otherwise I’m throwing meat. Just more fun when it works i guess and I guess when it doesn’t I still like it better

TannerP

FNG
Merino socks and layers.
Mystery Ranch Pack
Kifaru gun bearer
Good Binos... didn't think it would make that much difference.

I second all of this. I recently upgraded to a pair of ELs and when comparing with my old set and some buddies sets the difference is undeniable. Also blackovis merino gloves were awesome for under a set of heavy gloves

manitou1

WKR
Robby: I had been running Leupolds for quite a few years. I researched glass for months and then found out that MEOPTA gives a huge military discount. Something like 40%, so I purchased the Meostars (HD) in 10x42. I have compared them with a pair of SLCs, side by side on a ridge in WY while glassing with a buddy and I do not regret my purchase. They are much better at first and last light (and overall) than my two pair of Leupies too.

ODB

WKR
Exped mattress.
Kovea stove
Ditching my FHF and making my own bino strap

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Klymit Insulated Double V sleeping pad. I bought it on a whim when it was heavily discounted on a deal site. It's turned out to be more comfortable for two of us sharing a double quilt than the two pads coupled together that we had used for roughly a decade, and lighter weight than two full length insulated pads as well. For summer trips we still often take two short neo air pads and couple them to save weight, but for trips where we'd have hauled full length pads it's awesome.

I’ll second meostar HD 10x42..

It’s been what 3 years now since I did all my “testing” (going to the Florida’s and looking for ibex) so some of my memory is fading but. They control veiling glare better then swaro el’s, and the cold view with field flattened drives me nuts on the EL.

display less chromatic aberration the slc’s.. they have less pincushion distortion then Zeiss conquest hd’s And best razor HD’s in most all categories except weight and color bias. The silver coatings display a slight blue hue.

I can honestly say with a straight face that if you gave me 2 weeks to have meostars, slc’s, conquest hd, razors or el’s... i’d Pick the meostar hd..

I wish I would have tried more of the Leica and Zeiss higher end stuff but after a month or so shuffling bino’s I had buyer fatigue and knew the bang to buck ratio had been found with 600$ meostars.

AGC Bino harness for turkey season. I liked it in deer/coyote season too but for a minimalist setup with locators a slate and a mouth call it is perfect.

Red dot for my shotgun...just perfect.

Sitka timberlines. Just a nice pant.

Camper shell for truck! takes some of the pressure off my back seat for holding all my shit.

Millenium treestand sure is comfortable and light for its size.

..I’m gonna add that I have upped my knife game. Better steel sure is nice. Liking these Spydercos a lot. Also like the horizontal sheath that Case makes for the Sodbuster. That’s an EDC for me now.

2019 I want to get a skinner in S30v or better and I want to get my concealed carry and explore the 20-eleven blue million concealment options.

Last edited:

Muttly

WKR
Therma rest seat pads..14 bucks, grabbed em on a whim, and they are almost always either in the pack or grabbing em on the way out the door. No weight, no wet butt, no brainer..
Trekking poles.. Never thought I,d need them, but they made life a lot easier on my knees.
Hammock..been meaning to get one for years, got one from my wife for Christmas! Set it up in the shop, cause I really am a hillbilly.. Few days after I got it, ordered a custom hammock, little tougher fabric, enough weight capacity for me and the hound. Brought home a puppy yesterday, might hafta order one up with double fabric big enough for me and two canines..
SWFA 3-9x42..grabbed one used to see what the fuss was about. Know they are not everybody's cup of tea, almost hate to admit it, pretty sure I like it better than a Zeiss that has been floated onto a couple rifles..

manitou1

WKR
I will add, as the poster above, my AGC bino harness with basement. I would give it my #1 overall. I keep tags, wind meter, scope brush and cloth in there. I have used it on numerous occasions as a rifle rest too... on deer, antelope and prairie dogs.

ODB

WKR
Therma rest seat pads..14 bucks, grabbed em on a whim, and they are almost always either in the pack or grabbing em on the way out the door. No weight, no wet butt, no brainer..
Trekking poles.. Never thought I,d need them, but they made life a lot easier on my knees.
Hammock..been meaning to get one for years, got one from my wife for Christmas! Set it up in the shop, cause I really am a hillbilly.. Few days after I got it, ordered a custom hammock, little tougher fabric, enough weight capacity for me and the hound. Brought home a puppy yesterday, might hafta order one up with double fabric big enough for me and two canines..
SWFA 3-9x42..grabbed one used to see what the fuss was about. Know they are not everybody's cup of tea, almost hate to admit it, pretty sure I like it better than a Zeiss that has been floated onto a couple rifles..

Good call on the thermarst seat pads. Forgot about them. Indispensable now.

Agross

WKR
Grangers waterproofing wax. Every other leather treatment ive used is worthless, and I figured this stuff would be as well. It isnt. It flat works. And LASTS. For reference, ive used bee natural, mink oil, oubenauffs, crispi, bickmore, ray holes, redwing, sno seal, toilet wax rings.....I think thats it. It works in wet snow, day after day. The ultimate test in my view.

Thanks for the heads up on this stuff, you only cost me $11 . A lot better than some others on this forum have cost me😁

FNG
OR expedition gaiters - they're indestructible
Good glass - get the best you can afford
Stone glacier pack - so versatile and tough

eamyrick

WKR
If you duck hunt the Adrenal Line Finisher. It’s basically a small spike insert into the back of the head of ducks/geese. Much better than ringing necks and they die almost instantly.

Binos on a tripod. Bought Swaro SLC 10x42 after years of sub $300 binos. Zero regrets.

Kuiu glassing pad. I was given the pad and laughed about how much of a gimmick it was because it was Kuiu camo. That sucker is a real winner. Super thin you can throw it in a pocket but just the right amount of pad for rocky sits. Got rid of my lightweight chair.

bracer40

Lil-Rokslider
Nemo Disco 15 sleeping bag! What a game changer compared to my older Wilderness Experience mummy bag.
Plenty of room to move around and comfortable into the 20’s (lowest so far)

@ 2lbs 11oz there are lighter options but not as comfortable for this floppy camper...

Schaaf

WKR
Javelin Bipod and my Geovid HD-B.

These are a rifle hunters dream. Especially if you do a lot of guiding for buddies and family members.