What gear was a pleasant surprise?

Gaia GPS App.

Gaia GPS, and improvements in smartphone ruggedness, have finally convinced me that the phone can be a very good replacement for a Garmin.

Additionally, I left my mirrorless camera home during a recent backing trip and shot video and stills with my smartphone. I used a small Joby Gorillapod to steady the smartphone. I edited a 90-second video together when I got home and the quality is pretty good.

I love photography and will continue carrying a mirrorless camera on some trips. There is a differential in quality. But for fast-and-light blitzkriegs into the backcountry I will not hesitate to leave the Garmin and mirrorless camera at home.

Hopefully the next iteration of smartphone will be in collaboration with Garmin inReach, and then we will have everything possible in one small device.

Scottyboy

WKR
First lite Klin hoody I believe it’s called. Actually, I have been overly impressed with all my FL gear after using KUIU for the last 5 seasons. My only gripe is the lack of vents, which after having with KUIU, I feel is needed.

mym93

FNG
Absolutely in love with my Marsupial Bino Harness. I was worried it would be too minimalist but I find it perfect.

lak2004

WKR
First year using a tripod with my binos, awesome!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

First Lite Obsidian Pants and Kifaru Lite frame with a 44 Mag bag are both new gear for me this year. I really like the Obsidians over the Kanab pants. Pockets are better thought out. The new Kifaru pack was great. I could really cinch the bag down small for day hunting and it was plenty big for spike hunts when I needed to carry more gear.

ctowntex

FNG
Dead Ringer Hammock Chair. I thought it would be a gimmick, but a buddy let me borrow it for a public land hunt and I love it. Lightweight and quick to deploy and pack up. Very comfortable and sure beats sitting on the ground. I use it for whitetail hunting public land when the area dictates hunting from the ground.

Sitka Core Lightweight Hoody. I wore it every single day - washed it a few times of course. Lightweight, can unzip the front to vent and the hood is nice to keep the sun off of you without overheating.

chops24

WKR
Exo 3500 with the crib load panel.

same here. I have really nice gear so its no surprise i like it but i was surprised how much more i like my Exo 3500 than my Kifaru w/AMR.
that and my Chama hoodie. im like linus and his blanket with that thing.

gibbons025

Lil-Rokslider
My Lowa Tibet Hi’s are hands down the best boot I’ve ever worn. When the going gets tough I never have to worry about my boots failing which is nice.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
The new version of the Sitka Stormfront gaiters. So much quieter, lighter, and easier to put on than my old pair, and bomb proof, super happy I couldn't find my old ones and bought the new ones.

Was already a huge fan of the FL wick baselayers but added the short sleeve tee this year, great purchase, I wore it under the Sitka ultralight hoodie and seemed to help with the stank of the polygene. FYI I wear the Sitka ultralight over the wick hoodie because it has the built in facemask, money when the wind starts blowing.

Talus fingerless gloves were freakin awesome, gave me just enough warmth on the hands when I'd first start walking in the morning and not so heavy that I had to peel them off quickly. And they fit nicely in my thigh pocket.

Enlightened Equipment sleeping bag, 20 degree, shaved 2 lbs! off my sleep system, amazing early season bag.

Leukotape - complete game changer for me as I am prone to blisters no matter the boot/sock combo

Swarovski binos - obvious reason

Feathered Friends & Western Mountaineering sleeping bags

Kuiu Yukon gaiters- better than the Sitka or OR ones I have by a mile

Everything else is good to great, but the items above made a huge impact.

rsiwuda

Lil-Rokslider
Crispi Thor GTX, Meopta B1, Sirui VA5 head, Adak bino harness, Nock 2 it, kifaru 44 mag.

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
First Lite kiln hoodie and Wrangler outdoor pants ...I wore them the entire 9-day hunt.
Outdoor Vitals 0* Atlas sleeping bag...really warm, compresses small and synthetic.
Spam sammy (not gear)...added mustard packs from a truck stop and I looked forward to this more than anything else in my food bag every day.
Lastly, ibuprofen lol