What GPS are you carrying?

450t seems to be a good choice. I have messed with one some and am interested in getting one myself. What does the extra T version get you? is that just the Touch screen??

OBP

WKR
Just looking on cabelas it appears both the 450 and 450T are touch screen, I believe the T model adds pre-loaded topo maps, but I may be wrong. I'm also looking to upgrade my GPS unit this year so I'm following this one close.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
For trips where we plan to sty together or Luke goes alone, we use an etrex 20 because its small and doesn't weigh much. When there is any chance we might split up, we each bring a Garmin rino 530hcx. It's illegal to use the radio feature for hunting or tracking animals, but we have found it indispensable for other situations. The ability to communicate with each other and poll the other users location provides a lot of peace of mind and safety anytime we separate in the field.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've tried a hand full of GPS units for hunting and rafting. I finally found the one that does what I need and alleviates the need to print topos to take afield.

Garmin Oregon 450T. It's an asset fo sho!

But, I have only used the preloaded map system and use it exclusively in Alaska. I've heard some say that Lower 48 map data are outdated. After market map downloads might help.

Larry
http://www.pristineventures.com

Shrek

WKR
Anyone using a Magellan Triton 1500 ? I can pickup one new for $117 total and looks good but would like inputs before I buy it. Comes with topo usa.

dotman

WKR
Anyone using a Magellan Triton 1500 ? I can pickup one new for $117 total and looks good but would like inputs before I buy it. Comes with topo usa.

IMO it is kinda like when I asked about a REM (Magellan) vs a Savage (Garmin), go with a Garmin you'll be happy you did :)

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
I got the oppertunity to test out the 550 450 and the dakota 20 a few years back it was rigth after the 550 came out. And I now own the dakota 20 it is the same on sattalite reception and satelite reliabilty .. All my testing was done in the cebntral cascades in some really steep heavy canopyed country and they all worked flawless in those enviorments.. I have had my dakota20 now for 3 years and youus in nearly ebvry week for hunting, hiking and trail running.. And it has been flawless. Durring that time I tesetd the delorme pn 40 and the maggelan top line series and they do not holfd up there end of satelite recovery when put in any comprimising terrian ... Good luck on your search

Shrek

WKR
Dotman , what's the Sako 75 equivalent ? Hard to find a new in box with warranty topo gps for $117 including tax. It will not come out of my pocket often and nothing orients me like a paper map so I will always have one handy. If I could find a Garmin 60 series or an Oregon 450 for $117 I would be all over it. I just want to know if it has any glaring problems.

Lawnboi

WKR
Oregon 450. Got a smoking deal on it. If you are patient you should get it any gps for a decent price.

Don't waste your money on the t version if you get it.

dotman

WKR
Dotman , what's the Sako 75 equivalent ? Hard to find a new in box with warranty topo gps for $117 including tax. It will not come out of my pocket often and nothing orients me like a paper map so I will always have one handy. If I could find a Garmin 60 series or an Oregon 450 for $117 I would be all over it. I just want to know if it has any glaring problems.

I would say the Etrex is Savage and Montana/Rhino series are the Sako 75, just a nicer overall finish but the Etrex 20/30 hold their own very well and will do all you need for a lower overall price.

Don't use Garmin maps, they are wrong and I pointed this out to them when I did some testing for them last year. The huntinggps maps are the best I have found.

You can always find a sale on the Garmin Etrex 20 for around $169 and it can do everything the more expensive models do as far as navigating and topo/birdseye imagery.

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
I'm drinking good beer at the moment so if I make no sense you know whats going on. I can get a new with warranty Magellan Triton 1500 with topo usa maps for $109 + tax. I can't see me using it much , just checking location to place myself on a map mostly. If I was really going to depend on the gps I would already have a Garmin 450 or 650. I'm just trying to make sure the triton isn't junk or impossible to operate.

I have the Montana 650t and added the Birdseye satellite imagery to it. I'm going to pick up some huntinggps maps as well this year. I can't imagine any other features you would want in a GPS. The location/communication features of the rhino are nice. But the only real complaint I have with the Montana is the size/weight. I see no need to carry a paper map ever again with the modern GPSs. Besides, one of the key features of the GPS is that it tells you where you are on that map. I've stepped foot into areas for the first time and been able to navigate them like I've been hunting there all my life. I wouldn't have that kind of confidence with a paper map.