What GPS are you carrying?

dotman

WKR
I have the Montana 650t and added the Birdseye satellite imagery to it. I'm going to pick up some huntinggps maps as well this year. I can't imagine any other features you would want in a GPS. The location/communication features of the rhino are nice. But the only real complaint I have with the Montana is the size/weight. I see no need to carry a paper map ever again with the modern GPSs. Besides, one of the key features of the GPS is that it tells you where you are on that map. I've stepped foot into areas for the first time and been able to navigate them like I've been hunting there all my life. I wouldn't have that kind of confidence with a paper map.

My view is that a GPS is a tool that can fail, I'll always have a map and compass.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Daveinjax,

Forget the Magellan.

Most 3rd party maps including gpsdepot.com and Huntinggpsmaps.com maps are ONLY compatible with Garmin. I tried the Magellan because I got a good deal on it too, and sold it fast to get a Garmin Oregon. Love those state huntinggpsmaps.com chips.

owyheerat

FNG
Another 60csx user here. Had mine for at least 5 yrs. I use it a lot, never had one problem. I did buy the Idaho huntinggpsmap. Great reception, and pretty easy on batteries.

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
Did you purchase any add ons or just the pro version? I'm going to give this a try with my wifes old andriod phone this year while scouting for whitetail.
I have a 60csx and started using backcountry navigator on an old android phone last year. I carried both for a couple days to compare them. For the way I use a gps the backcountry navigator worked better. The topo and ariel maps are free and you can purchase other maps. I did purchase the Accu Terra maps because they show private, BLM, State and forest service in different shades. It also displays the trails more visably.

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
I run a 60CSX with huntingmaps, and I will not be upgrading anytime soon. It's been an awesome GPS.