What gun vise/ lead sled should I buy?

snik

FNG
Looking at buying a lead sled and or gun vise to sight in guns and also clean my guns. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

OP
S

snik

FNG
A Tipton to clean your rifles. I would never recommend a gun vise or lead sled to sight in with.....but that is just my own personal opinion. I’m sure I’ll be the minority.
I was leaning towards Tipton. Thanks for the reply. As far as sighting in goes I typically just use sand bags, but I was thinking a vise/lead sled would he nice just to get it super close then a few shots off the sand bags to polish it off.

Skip the sled. If you can't shoot well without one, you can't shoot well. Keep practicing and your results will improve, a sled is just a crutch and an excuse. I don't mean to offend, there's simply no replacement for practice.
Exactly my thoughts. I was just trying to be nice atleast one day this week :)

elkguide

WKR
Tipton for cleaning/repairs etc.
Lead sled for breaking fiberglass stocks.
Plenty of bag/bipod options for your bench time.

RO1459

FNG
For my rifles other than my 300 Win Mag, I don't use a lead sled. However, when sighting in my 300, I use the sled. It saves my shoulder. After sighting it in however, I do shoot it several times each in positions I might be in while in the field. I pad my shoulder well, however.

OP
S

snik

FNG
Thanks everyone for the responses. Next question, what set up do you use while sighting in? Couple of sand bags? Tripod?

sndmn11

WKR
Bipod in front, sand bag/backpack/nothing back, and sometimes the stars will align so the backpack is stuffed just right to where it can me mid gun with the sand bag in back.

tdot

WKR
Berry's Manufacturing Versacradle is hands down the best gun vise I've used. It is far more robust and versatile then the Tipton or similar plastic rests.

You can set it up to shoot off it as well, but I haven't tried that. I prefer a front/rear rest over any type of lead sled. When I was doing alot of load development for my unbraked 8lb 300wm, I started to use a shotgun shoulder pad. Otherwise after 40-50+ rounds a day, I really started to notice it.

After several years of frustration with my lead sled pushing my shots all over the place and always leaving me with a nagging suspicion of my zero, I spent the money on a Bulls Bag and love it. It is night and day better than the lead sled. When sighting in I could tell what was my rifle and what was me, which gives me confidence in my zeros. But now it means I have to actually learn proper shooting technique to tighten up the errors on my part.

These guys make good points... I had a vice years ago because I wanted to “rule out the shooter.” It didn’t work well, not for me anyhow.

I’ve got a handful of the Harris bipods (and a few knockoffs from Amazon) and a rear bag that I used on several dozen rifles.

HBLMS Harris Bipod extends from 9" to 13" (swivels, Notched Legs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OLZ67TS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_e4ntFbGT3P5Z6

Caldwell Deadshot Filled, Rear Shooting Bagand Tack Driver Shooting Rest - Filled Bag https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007WJSN6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_o7ntFbFWJ1MND

Axlrod

WKR
I shoot off a bipod and rear bag/pack. For cleaning and mounting scopes i use the CTK precision with the vice attachment. You can also shoot off it if you want.

rayporter

WKR
ya, until they break something.
last year a bud that has one was having scope trouble and he came over to see if we could figure it out. i put it on my scope checker and sure enough it was bad. moved all over with each shot.
he sent it back to bushnell and they refused to warrantee it. wanted him to buy a new scope or some such --anyway ridiculous crap. he said put it together and send it back and i will shoot it.

the guy says 'what it is no good'
he said "you dont understand, i am going to stick it in the berm and shoot at it"
"and never buy another bushnell"