What happened on this shot?

Shot a mule deer yesterday, 40 yards down hill. Bucks head to the left, seemed to be broadside. I didn’t see the entrance but saw the exit on the the rear leg. Tracked deer for over a mile, no beds, no deer. Found this blood 100 yards from shot. One lung, exited the rear ham?

Attachments

• DF22994A-FD4F-4A92-867B-99FCD13288FC.jpeg
    DF22994A-FD4F-4A92-867B-99FCD13288FC.jpeg
    702.8 KB · Views: 113

Rob5589

WKR
That sucks. Hard to say what happened without video or a dead deer. Deer moved, too far forward and hit bone, too far back and clipped lung, too high, etc.

OP
S
That sucks. Hard to say what happened without video or a dead deer. Deer moved, too far forward and hit bone, too far back and clipped lung, too high, etc.
That is definitely lung blood, correct?

Moserkr

WKR
What caliber/ammo/bullet were you shooting?
New guys smh. Archery…

Get back out there and search, probably around water. That much bubbles in the blood, definitely lung. Obviously not a perfect shot, or did you accidentally bump him? Deer will die, question is when. Watch for birds circling…

OP
S
New guys smh. Archery…

Get back out there and search, probably around water. That much bubbles in the blood, definitely lung. Obviously not a perfect shot, or did you accidentally bump him? Deer will die, question is when. Watch for birds circling…
Not much water around these parts, tough to grid search in badlands country. Had to go home and never could find it.

go_deep

WKR
Looks to good not to find him. I'd go back and make another go at finding him.

New guys smh. Archery…

I came to this through the "New Posts" section and didn't see that it's under an archery forum. Some day I'll be as old and wise as you.

To the OP, how much time did you give him before tracking?

OP
S
I understand, but it's rut time, they got one thing on their mind, and it's not pain.
Ya I hear ya there but we saw a ton of does and very few bucks seeking them. This buck was just laying in the shade, didn’t seem to interested in near by does

Ugh, three hours seems like a decent amount of time if you indeed caught a lung (which the photo certainly seems to indicate). Sorry man, that's gotta be so frustrating.

OP
S
Ugh, three hours seems like a decent amount of time if you indeed caught a lung (which the photo certainly seems to indicate). Sorry man, that's gotta be so frustrating.
Ya. Six years of spot and stalk mule deer hunting, first shot at a buck, the gods could has blessed me with a little luck after all that work? Haha

And believe me, I feel your pain. I am only able to hunt public land whitetails here in the east, and it ain't easy to get a shot on a decent buck. Finally had one at 12 yards the other day and I sent it over his back.

Ok, I just heard of someone local the other day having the exact same arrow path on a whitetail and it was with a mechanical. Wondered if it was somehow an issue they have due to increased possibility of deflection or something.