What happened on this shot?

OP
S
Ya it was a clean pass through, buck was looking at me and moved as I shot, who knows what happened.

OP
S
So taking this down a different path. If you stalk into within 50 yards of where you think the buck is, do you just sit and wait or do you keep looking around to lay eyes on him? Very cautiously of course.

OP
S
Sorry I was referring to before the shot, when you are stalking in and trying to locate the buck

I have seen arrows and bullets do some very weird stuff inside of animals. As a guide sometimes it’s mind blowing to see what happens. My best guess is you shot and the arrow upon entrance nicked a rib just right which sent the arrow on a different path much like hitting a limb.

I’d say the arrow hit the one lung and exited the rear ham. An animal with 1 lung can go a long long ways, but unfortunately the deer is dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wellsdw

WKR
My experience in tracking with a dog says that long tracks 800+ yards with bubble blood, is not lung bubbles, but rather muscle blood (which tends to also be bright) that is agitated by the hide on a deer of a moving area, like a leg. Blood that starts heavy and stops also indicates muscle. No beds indicate likely not liver, also blood is not dark. Any chance of bringing a dog in?

4fletch

Lil-Rokslider
Shot a mule deer yesterday, 40 yards down hill. Bucks head to the left, seemed to be broadside. I didn’t see the entrance but saw the exit on the the rear leg. Tracked deer for over a mile, no beds, no deer. Found this blood 100 yards from shot. One lung, exited the rear ham?
If you one lunged it they can live over a week like that.

OP
S
My experience in tracking with a dog says that long tracks 800+ yards with bubble blood, is not lung bubbles, but rather muscle blood (which tends to also be bright) that is agitated by the hide on a deer of a moving area, like a leg. Blood that starts heavy and stops also indicates muscle. No beds indicate likely not liver, also blood is not dark. Any chance of bringing a dog in?
Thanks for the info, this makes more sense. I just don’t see how I would have lunged him, with the shot and how everything played out and never would have believed that until I found that bubbly blood, which gave me false hope.This was 7 hours from where I live and I searched until I had to come home yesterday.

Scoot

WKR
Blood like that = lung hit. I agree with the previous post that it likely deflected off a rib, nicked the lung, exited farther back. Or... it was quartering to you much more than you realized (this happens a lot). Unfortunately, that's a dead deer. I'd go back and look more. If you're unable to do that, then you're unable to do it. Bummer either way.