What happened to cheap USPS shipping?!?!

16Bore

WKR
My pack was $55 to ship from Seattle to VA last year, parcel post and I beat it home by 10 days. You really have to think your way through the packing and shipping for sure. Reckon it's another way to justify ultralight/compact gear.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
What's included in your "pack"? Just the frame and bag or loaded with gear?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
Small details help...

It was an Outdoorsmans pack and some random gear, around 20# total. I'd shipped my LRF, binos, knives and as much junk as I could stash in 2 large flat rate boxes. At the end of the day I'd been better off with the baggage charge. Rinella did a good podcast about it awhile back. I would have been happy to foot the extra baggage charge with a cooler full of meat, but that's the way it goes.

Just a little better planning the next go round, no biggie. If you're gonna go, then go. No sense in fussing about the money. I haven't found any anti aging elixir yet. Just a little better organization next time.

There are different rates for shipping. A company gets a discount for having a shipping station, but they usually opt to tack on extra and make a profit from the shipping charge, which you pay for. If you walk into USPS or UPS they charge you what a business would charge you.

PayPal usually passes their discount down to customers, that's why it's cheaper to print a shipping label through them, EBay does the same thing.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Small details help...

It was an Outdoorsmans pack and some random gear, around 20# total. I'd shipped my LRF, binos, knives and as much junk as I could stash in 2 large flat rate boxes. At the end of the day I'd been better off with the baggage charge. Rinella did a good podcast about it awhile back. I would have been happy to foot the extra baggage charge with a cooler full of meat, but that's the way it goes.

Just a little better planning the next go round, no biggie. If you're gonna go, then go. No sense in fussing about the money. I haven't found any anti aging elixir yet. Just a little better organization next time.

Ok, that makes sense. I agree, it's all about planning so hopefully this thread helps folks when they are planning a cross country or Alaska trip. It's just sad that the old rates of around $1-1.5/lb are gone but so are nickel sodas and all those other things our fathers used to always talk about.

sniper61

Lil-Rokslider
I just used USPS priority mail, 3 to 4 days to get from Pa. to Ak. I sent 2 packages 70 lbs. and 30lbs at a cost of $224. You can mail stuff that you can't take on a plane. A flask, wine , maple syrup, many other things plus I like the security of the US mail. If you can find a better cheaper safer way, let us know the details.