What happened to OnX this year?

OnX really sucked this year. From having to go back to civilization to redownload the maps after they didn't download properly, to terrible programming on the downloads, to topographical benches that end up being ravines, etc., I am thinking about trying something else. Luckily my brother had offline maps or we would have been in a world of hurt.

Anyone else have issues or have a better system?

Ucsdryder

WKR
Agreed. They were a pile. They should be giving free memberships for basically being borderline worthless this entire hunting season. Whoever made the decision to revamp the entire program at the beginning of hunting season should have their head checked!

BBob

WKR
I use both OnX and GAIA. GAIA is much more powerful, consistent and far faster downloads than OnX but a steeper learning curve with the layering they offer. Once you find what layers you want and figure out quickly selecting and deselecting layers it's great. GAIA is much faster uploading a new map when you have service when you fire it up in a new location far from when you last used it. I'm sure everyone experiences the OnX long delay when you fire it up in a new location. OnX failed me a week or so ago in the middle of an early morning dark approach following a track. I was able to quit the app and reboot the phone and everything came back including the track. Why do I have OnX? I have OnX because a couple of close friends use it because it's simple and we need to share things back and forth regularly.

FlyGuy

WKR
I too use both onX and Gaia. Neither is perfect, but I like features of each and the back-up of having two systems. So, I go thru the trouble of doing 2x of everything (dropping waypoints in each, tracking in each, etc) Its a minor pain but worth it in situations like several described above.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
No problems for me thus far this season, except for constantly updating offline maps. But they worked offline fine.

I have struggled with multiple items, on the web platform and on the app, for several years. I just pinged onX last week regarding four issues for resolution.

crazyhawksfan

Lil-Rokslider
It seemed worse for me this year as well. Had it fail me hard after shooting a bull and coming back to get a load of meat it would keep misplacing my location.. mainly used downloaded Google earth maps on my phone.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Anozira

WKR
OnX really sucked this year. From having to go back to civilization to redownload the maps after they didn't download properly, to terrible programming on the downloads, to topographical benches that end up being ravines, etc., I am thinking about trying something else. Luckily my brother had offline maps or we would have been in a world of hurt.

Anyone else have issues or have a better system?

I had an almost identical experience in August. My saved maps wouldn't load, so I opened a case with tech support at OnX. They tried to fix it through several emails and ended up telling me I had to delete the app and start all over. I literally had 32gigs of maps saved through-out AZ, CO, & NM. If it weren't for all of my saved waypoints I would have tried something else.

Ten Bears

WKR
I had to walk out and drive down to civilization after my ONX took a massive dump. My maps turned into a green blob. It still had my location and saved points of interest on top of the blob. Cost me half a day, the bonus was I got a burrito out of the trip.

Reloaded all the maps and bought Basecamp as a back up.

Huh... I had 0 issues this year and thought it was very sold (android) I work in tech and I know some of the more recent IOS updates caused issues with a lot of apps... maybe it's phone related/update related? Not sure... either way I wait to update both for at least a week and let kinks get ironed out first...

wapitibob

WKR
after years of no problems I had the disappearing offline map bug after an update. The next update resolved it and onx continues to work very well for me. GoHUNT is the only platform I might switch to but that is dependent on their final version sat imagery.

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
This was the first year I tried OnX while on a buddies hunt. Initially it seemed like a neat app, but as I used it more, I was not a big fan. I prefer the free topo maps I have uploaded to my Garmin instead as they were easier to read. The big issue I have is "No Ownership Data" shown for known private property that's been there for decades. Land was not posted no trespassing, and the gate was unlocked (even though it looked locked at a glance). There was no way to know whether we could hunt it, couldn't look up the ranch or owner via NMG&F since OnX gave no data. Ultimately did not go in. OnX should easily be able to download the e-Plus data from NMG7F and show, in real time on the maps, what's legal and not legal to hunt (who choose RO and who is unit-wide).
Saw a bull (beef) that was seriously hurting, and wanted to call the rancher. No phone numbers or contact info, What good is the ownership data other than listing ranch name?
There were several user things I hated about OnX. For example, if I have a map set to rotate with me (North isn't always up), and I touch the map to zoom or set a waypoint, it immediately reverts right back to North is up. This makes is much tougher to set distant way points. Usability just wasn't there...I have no plans to renew my subscription in the future.

Jethro

WKR
First year using OnX. Provided that we didn’t lose good cellular while using the app on cellular, we had no issues. In airplane mode, offline maps worked flawlessly.

For example, if I have a map set to rotate with me (North isn't always up), and I touch the map to zoom or set a waypoint, it immediately reverts right back to North is up. This makes is much tougher to set distant way points. Usability just wasn't there...I have no plans to renew my subscription in the future.

Ok I have noticed this too. I think it’s new. It used to stay in the rotate wirh user mode regardless. I like the old way better