What happens to EXO ?

How does the weight of the Kifaru compare to the KUIU?
I'm not concerned with weight. They're both light packs. I am concerned with quality and sourcing. Kifaru has Kuiu beat in both areas. Kifaru also has hunting freaks that work for them, and severe outdoor enthusiasts.

I'm not concerned with weight. They're both light packs. I am concerned with quality and sourcing. Kifaru has Kuiu beat in both areas. Kifaru also has hunting freaks that work for them, and severe outdoor enthusiasts.
So does KUIU - weight is a factor for me. Kifaru weighs significantly more I think.

ODB

WKR
Only mistake the EXO guys are making is building bags that will outlast me. I have a K2 and it's amazing. No plans to upgrade to a K3 because I am still 100% happy with the K2. Love those guys and hope they stay independent and growing.

So does KUIU - weight is a factor for me. Kifaru weighs significantly more I think.
Kifaru just makes a higher quality bag. In the end I'll put up with 8 extra ounces for a better bag, with better customer service, and a belief system that more closely aligns with my own. That being said I love my Kuiu 7000. HMU if you wanna buy it. Its the pro suspension, 2 hip pouches, and the ultra 7000, all told I think I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $450-500. I'd sell it for $375. I gotta look up prices though and make sure that aligns with what a 18 month old pack is worth. It's got blood from 3 whitetails cause I'm a terrible elk hunter.

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
Kifaru just makes a higher quality bag. In the end I'll put up with 8 extra ounces for a better bag, with better customer service, and a belief system that more closely aligns with my own. That being said I love my Kuiu 7000. HMU if you wanna buy it. Its the pro suspension, 2 hip pouches, and the ultra 7000, all told I think I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $450-500. I'd sell it for $375. I gotta look up prices though and make sure that aligns with what a 18 month old pack is worth. It's got blood from 3 whitetails cause I'm a terrible elk hunter
My complete 5500 kuiu weighs the same as kifarus frame. Pounds lighter, not oz. I’m not saying the kuiu is better, but it is much lighter. Lots of options for people looking for different things.

My complete 5500 kuiu weighs the same as kifarus frame. Pounds lighter, not oz. I’m not saying the kuiu is better, but it is much lighter. Lots of options for people looking for different things.
This is exactly right. I am not saying weight is a factor for everybody, but ounces turn into lbs at 10k feet in the Rockies.

gelton

WKR
I haven't used Kuiu's frame so I can't comment on how well they haul. I do like their clothes even if some of their items feel like what I would imagine skinny jeans fitting but there is always a tradeoff between lightweight and durability and each person's allowances are different. I would also wager that heavier duty packs haul better but because, as you correctly point out, everyone is different the ability to prove that is fleeting.

OP
S

Stalker69

WKR
Well, EXO got my money. And my son has kinda taken owner ship of the pack.

ElkNut1

WKR
My Son & I run the K3 3200, absolutely awesome packs! I too have owned the top 3 mentioned & Exo has my vote 100% -- They're light weight for all day hunts yet packs a 100# load with zero issues mile after mile! Too, Steve is a hell of a nice guy to boot!

ElkNut

jpalmer83

FNG
I just ordered a 4800. I like the fact that all they want to do is a make a good pack and they stick to a few options. I couldn’t figure out which Kifaru worked best because there were so many to choose from. Was considering a stone glacier but liked the pocket options better on the 4800. I think they are doing quite fine from everything I’ve read.

OP
S

Stalker69

WKR
My son just got back from a 10 Day pack trip. The EXO did great, he absolutely loves it compared to his “ older” pack. Looks as though there is no way I am getting it back now. They did hike out 10 miles in the rain, and he wished he had a rain cover, but at least it was on the way out and not while hiking in. I know they offer a dry bag, but then you need to take everything out to get into it. I will be finding a rain cover for it shortly.

Last edited:
I think the pack market is great. So many options depending on your needs and goals. For me the biggest thing I noticed on chats is that there are definitely different people and most don't really know what they want. They want light weight great hauling abilities..tons of space Cadillac comfort you name it. Some want a pack with a million options (Kifaru wins these guys). Ultra light. SG has that! Comfort function and fairly low weight with all in one solution? Exo wins that one IMO. Durable and budget friendly? mystery ranch!

Bottom line back to the original question. Kifaru def owned this sight back in the day and others have moved in. But if your going to spend money you gotta figure out what works for you... I don't think exo Is a marketed and they don't have all the options and bag types as the rest. But having ran all the major bags and frames before. I can tell you my Exo K3 wins the comfort test hands down and the bags are so functional with out all the excess crap and weight...I'm a big fan. I run the 1800 and 4800. Day and multi day set up. Super happy!

I switched to an exo k3 4800 after my kuiu pack starting squeaking and I could not get it to stop. I would never go back, the kuiu frame made me feel like I was strapped to a board. Kuiu pack is not even in the same league as the k3 when it comes to comfort. The fact EXO is made in the USA is a huge plus to me as well.