What harness has the most utility?

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a saftey harness that works well with a linemans belt for hanging steps, is adjustable so I can get a good body fit, and simply attaches to the tree once in the stand. Lightweight and slim is a bonus but I dont want to pay much extra for weight savings. I just want it to work as it should

All the harnesses that come with modern stands are junk. The one that came with my XOP is worthless. My old harness that I got 10 years ago with a hang on finally started to show signs of wear. It was great.

What are you guys using? Thanks

ao9488

FNG
I just switched over to a rock climbing harness, specifically the black diamond BOD, and I don't regret it. It doesn't have specific lineman's belt attachment points but I just attach both to the front of the harness. The loops on the side allow me to haul up my top two sticks so I don't have to go up and down multiple times.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
Lots of love these days for those rock climbing harnesses, and I'll probably make the switch when mine wears out. I'm using a Summit PRO. Not lightweight, but it does everything else well. Frickin buckles always seem to be bumping into something though, so you'd want to do something to help mitigate that.

OP
S

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the rock harness advise. That doesn't break the bank and looks minimal. Those loops would be nice as well. Without going up over your back, do you think it would work good if you fell?

Btaylor

WKR
Thanks for the rock harness advise. That doesn't break the bank and looks minimal. Those loops would be nice as well. Without going up over your back, do you think it would work good if you fell?
Have you ever heard of a rock climber falling out of their harness? Me neither.;)

I also use a muddy harness. Old harness is a summitt seat of the pants. Both are light and comfortable.

ao9488

FNG
I feel extremely comfortable in mine and based on videos of people purposefully bailing out of a tree stand, I'm confident that it'll hold me. I use a hss tree rope and a 75cm dynaclip from the harness to the rope.

OP
S

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
I looked at the BOD and it looks like it will be perfect. I would like to get something like this assender to streamline the process so I dont have to use two hands for adjustments

But it is just too expensive. Any other cheaper or different options?

RCL

WKR
I second the Wild Country Ropeman 1.
Works great.
Seems to be highly recommended by the saddle hunters.

Cannot beat the Black Diamond rock climbing harness in my opinion.

I have hung upside down in mine, taken huge falls, etc. in a few rock gyms and it is infallible . Hard to find products I'd say I 'trust my life with' but that's one of them.

edit: hook up to one of these and you're bullet proof in a tree.

OP
S

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
My BOD arrived today from Outbound for 44 bucks after shipping and tax. First thoughts are it's super light, feels tough, took me less than 30 seconds to figure out how to put it on and get it adjusted. The loops are going to be awesome. I worked up some paracord to attach my steps to them. I ran around the house with it on and it didn't slip or otherwise effect my movement. I'm stoked

Going to be camping in southen illinois this weekend and hoping to put something on the ground. After I try it out this weekend I'll let y'all know how it works out. Thanks for the advice here, I never would have thought to look at these otherwise

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
My BOD arrived today from Outbound for 44 bucks after shipping and tax. First thoughts are it's super light, feels tough, took me less than 30 seconds to figure out how to put it on and get it adjusted. The loops are going to be awesome. I worked up some paracord to attach my steps to them. I ran around the house with it on and it didn't slip or otherwise effect my movement. I'm stoked

Going to be camping in southen illinois this weekend and hoping to put something on the ground. After I try it out this weekend I'll let y'all know how it works out. Thanks for the advice here, I never would have thought to look at these otherwise
Do you have a link to the one you ordered

OP
S

shader112

Lil-Rokslider

It was backcountry.com not outbound. The package it came in had outbound on the label.

When I got to their site they had a discount if you signed up for their email list

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
Question about the rock climbing harness. I’ve seen many people are switching to them. Where does your safety rope go? It seems to me that if your rope was attached to the tree above your head like usual and the other end is attached to the front of the loop on the front of the harness the rope would just be dangling over your shoulder onto your chest. Wouldn’t it get in the way of your draw with a bow? Or is this overthinking it? I’d just hate to be trying to draw on a nice buck and have my arm get tangled in my safety line.

ao9488

FNG
Gotcha, little far from me then. Good luck!

I have my line set up do it runs under my left arm and up, so even if I would have to draw while sitting down It shouldn't hinder me as I'm a righty. And then once you stand it falls down to waist level and is pretty well way out of the way.

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
I see. So you just keep it tucked under your bow holding arm and it doesn’t seem to be an issue? I’ve been thinking about switching as the harness I have came with the tree stand and as OP said, it’s junk. But I was concerned about the rock harness for the that reason. But I guess it makes sense, keep it under your arm and when you stand and get set up for a shot it should be loose enough and tucked under enough to be out of the way. Thanks for that.