What have i been thinking???

OP
BRTreedogs
I’ve got an old hand crank, a LEM if I remember correctly and it makes me not want to process at the house. So much work for a sub par finished product. Do those electric jobs make a more consistent, thicker product? The hand crank seems to more so smash and smear it through the plate and comes out like a paste.
Just like store bought.

Related to grinding meat, what is your method of cooling/storing the meat after grinding and mixing? I’ve helped a buddy process a bull and the last batch of grinding smelled really bad when defrosted. We ground and mixed and froze in ziplocks.

Sounds weird but if the meat is not below 40 degrees when grinding it, you should have a bag of ice on hand. Mix in the ice with the meat while it runs through the grinder. it'll chill the meat down .

If you're getting smelly meat its likely because it wasn't handled properly. IE it was never properly chilled/stored.. If its coming from a processor, then its possible that he's been dropping the ball somewhere in his processes

Wrench

WKR
Stuffing from a grinder tends to make good hotdog consistency meat at an incredibly slow pace compared to a dedicated stuffer.

Get your hands on sausage books by eldon cutlup, and a stuffer. A meat mixer that attaches to the grinder motor is worth it's weight in gold.

Wrench

WKR
Ps, when your plates get dull or dinged, a flat stone works well to bring them back. I have a machine shop and throw the plates and blades on my surface grinder and it changes the game on speed....but it could be done by hand easily too.

Sounds weird but if the meat is not below 40 degrees when grinding it, you should have a bag of ice on hand. Mix in the ice with the meat while it runs through the grinder. it'll chill the meat down .

If you're getting smelly meat its likely because it wasn't handled properly. IE it was never properly chilled/stored.. If its coming from a processor, then its possible that he's been dropping the ball somewhere in his processes
Yeah, my plan next time is to fill the sink with some ice and keep the containers on top of the ice. Seen it on Meat Eater.

Stuffing from a grinder tends to make good hotdog consistency meat at an incredibly slow pace compared to a dedicated stuffer.
It would depend on how the meat gets pushed through the grinder and then into the case or meat bag.

The meat doesn't get cut up any more when you use a "kidney plate" and no blade.

I'm not saying a stuffer isn't a nice tool, but with #12, 22 or 32 grinder, its actually not that hard to use it to stuff meat bags, but a 2nd set of hands is recommended. A stuffer eliminates the need for a 2nd set of hands

A vertical stuffer is highly handy.. I have an 11.lb stuffer and use it all the time

Stalker69

WKR

Get your hands on sausage books by eldon cutlup, and a stuffer. A meat mixer that attaches to the grinder motor is worth it's weight in gold.
What ? If you use the correct size grinding plate it will not be hot dog consistency. And I have a 1 1/2 hp grinder that will grind as fast as I can fill it. That grinder will stuff summer sausage and hamburger super fast with no issue. The stuffer works great for snack sticks or small breakfast sausage, the grinder will kick its ass on everything else.

Wrench

WKR
The auger mushes the meat when it pushes it. I have had 22 and 32's and one commercial 20161030_161951.jpgwith the second auger on the casing tube and they all do it.....and they're painfully slow.

When we cut meat it's usually several animals and time is important.

The stuffers are great too because you know how much they hold and can pick your casing to match.

I am not saying that you can't stuff from a grinder, I did 15 or so elk and bears with mine....but once you see how efficient the stuffer is and start making custom sausage that has a specific grind requirement....the grinder simply sucks.

Themic86

Lil-Rokslider
I’d check Wesson for parts as that’s what my Cabelas 1HP grinder uses and you aren’t locked to their brand. Meat might charge premiums and just rebranding. Foot pedal is well worth the $20 or so especially when bringing straight into bags from a tube. Make sure you get a tube that is large though and not one that is a 1/4 size of your output. Did 80# in my 1hp the other day and it will do it as fast as I can feed it typically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stalker69

WKR
Well, what ever works for yea. But we have proceeded 12 elk and probably twice that many deer recently and have no issues. Not sure why you do. But whatever.

Lhook7

FNG
Very nice! I switched to a vertical stuffer several years ago and there is no comparison. I also like the fact that I am keeping the heat exposure to a minimum by not running the meat through the grinder again.