What have i been thinking???

So for the last 5 elk and 2 deer our cheap asses have suffered thru an el cheapo department store grinder.
Well this year while still on my high from arrowing a bull I purchased the meat you're maker 1.5 hp #32.

Ohhh my,
Make grinding meat great again.
Last yr it took me about 5 hrs to do 60 pounds.
This baby did 40 in about 30 min.
Grind meat , then fat, mixed and 2nd grinding.
🥰🥰🥰
20211013_143715.jpg

Ksfarmer

FNG
I have 2 friends with the 1.75 hp cabelas grinder. One of em gave 300 bucks for one of em in bargain cave. It had a bad $20 dollar switch, he scored! It takes as longer to set it up and clean when your done than it as it does to grind a whole elk. They are sweet.

Trust me put a decent stuffer on your to get list. Stuffing with a grinder sucks and you'll never do it again after you have a decent stuffer.
^^^ This. A vertical stuffer is well worth its cost vs the stuffer attachment that comes with the grinder. The stuffer attachment works, but picked up an LEM vertical thing year and it’s amazing.

Related to grinding meat, what is your method of cooling/storing the meat after grinding and mixing? I’ve helped a buddy process a bull and the last batch of grinding smelled really bad when defrosted. We ground and mixed and froze in ziplocks.

OP
BRTreedogs
Related to grinding meat, what is your method of cooling/storing the meat after grinding and mixing? I’ve helped a buddy process a bull and the last batch of grinding smelled really bad when defrosted. We ground and mixed and froze in ziplocks.
Got to get the air out.

I use saran wrap and paper. And have had very good luck.

But the last time I used a processor I had them do pork fat and had to throw away 60 plus pounds of elk burger.
Only thing anyone could figure is that pork fat goes bad much faster.

We didn't get sick but I smelled and tasted bad.

Did the meat smell before you ground it?

Got to get the air out.

I use saran wrap and paper. And have had very good luck.

But the last time I used a processor I had them do pork fat and had to throw away 60 plus pounds of elk burger.
Only thing anyone could figure is that pork fat goes bad much faster.

We didn't get sick but I smelled and tasted bad.

Did the meat smell before you ground it?
That’s exactly what we did with pork fat from a pig I helped butcher. It didn’t smell before grinding so my guess is the same that the pork fat went bad faster. I’ve had good luck buying big packs of cheap bacon but wanted to try out the pork fat. I think I’ll stick with bacon, it adds good flavor too.

OP
BRTreedogs
That’s exactly what we did with pork fat from a pig I helped butcher. It didn’t smell before grinding so my guess is the same that the pork fat went bad faster. I’ve had good luck buying big packs of cheap bacon but wanted to try out the pork fat. I think I’ll stick with bacon, it adds good flavor too.

I mean who knows on mine because I used a processor.
But I switched back to just doing my own and using beef fat.

Just sucks that was the only meat I've lost so far and it was a huge batch.

Only other thing was we left more tendon and such on that batch to.

I'm trimming so much out now I feel like I might be waistfull but at least what we do get us super good.

I mean who knows on mine because I used a processor.
But I switched back to just doing my own and using beef fat.

Just sucks that was the only meat I've lost so far and it was a huge batch.

Only other thing was we left more tendon and such on that batch to.

I'm trimming so much out now I feel like I might be waistfull but at least what we do get us super good.
Yeah, we lost around 40lbs of delicious potential burgers. We did trim really well so probably the pork fat.

Like you I suffered a lot of years with a small grinder, 4-5 years ago I got a bigger one and the difference is amazing, can’t believe I went so long without a good one.

We pitched in together and bought the big bite 3/4 hp grinder. Works pretty good with a 20lb meat mixer next to it to get an even mix. I think I’ll have to move the processing to the garage where it’s much cooler than the kitchen. Probably keep the meat cooler longer.

OP
BRTreedogs
I found a solid top coffee table for free and got a set of folding brackets off Amazon
And used some 4x4s I had to make it 40" soooooo nice not being stupped over.

I found a solid top coffee table for free and got a set of folding brackets off Amazon
And used some 4x4s I had to make it 40" soooooo nice not being stupped over.
That’s a good idea. I use a plastic folding table with extending legs to adjust the legs up. It’s nice to be able to wash it outside and fold it up but it isn’t the most stable thing. Toss a good size quarter on it and it practically folds itself.

Stalker69

WKR
It came with stuffer attachments.
Stuffing larger stuff like hamburger bags and 2-3 inch summer sausage casing are easy with the grinder. If your going to do snack sticks and smaller breakfast sausages, a small 5 lb stuffer works a lot better. Thin the grind down for those small snack sticks with liquid, and it makes it a lot easier.

I’ve got an old hand crank, a LEM if I remember correctly and it makes me not want to process at the house. So much work for a sub par finished product. Do those electric jobs make a more consistent, thicker product? The hand crank seems to more so smash and smear it through the plate and comes out like a paste.