What have I done.....??!!

Congratulations, you life is about the change in a big way! It will be fun and difficult, but way worth it. Enjoy the ride as it goes by way to fast, although it may not seem like it at the time, expecially at 3 a.m. You got this!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Congratulations. A friend who had twins said keeping a schedule was really important so that they would both sleep at the same time.

cjdewese

WKR
What everyone above has said as well. My wife has twin sisters and when talking to her mom about it she said two things really helped out. Back in the day there were twin support groups of sorts that you could get in and do activities together. She said it really helped out realizing that other people were going through what she was and that it was comforting hearing from people that had actually already done it.

Second was getting them on the same schedule. As is 1 baby takes up a lot of time feeding and napping and everything else. If you can do it both at the same time it makes things way easier.

Parenting is the hardest and most rewarding thing you will ever do. My youngest is going to turn 4 and I am amazed at what an incredible kid he is. So much fun to parent and see how they grow.

My grandmother had 4 kids. Then she had twins. Then 11 months later she had twins again. I have no idea how she survived raising 4 kids in school and another 4 in diapers. My grandfather bolted once he found out she was having the 2nd set of twins. She did indeed lose her mind, completely and absolutely, but I give her a pass on raising 6 relatively normal kids, and 2 of them that are full on bat-s nuts as well. 75% of just about any sports stat and your in the hall of fame. So in pantheon of parenting, she is in hall of fame. Oftentimes we would have to have local search parties to find her. Sometimes she would be a few cities away - and she didnt drive. Sometimes she had us buy her cigarettes, and when we got back she remembered she didnt smoke. We couldnt convince her ahead of time she didnt smoke. But being 10 years old, we just went buy the cigarettes. The gas attendant was one of my aunts on my fathers side and she would ask "are these for your grandma that doesnt smoke?" "yes", and she'd let us buy them. Still, my grandma was a hero in my book. Thats not the point. I digress. But...I think youll be ok with 1 set of twins.

I have 2 girls and 2 boys. The 2 girls are 2 years apart, then 6 years between the 2 boys that are 2 years apart. I think youll be fine. Those kids will be closer than you can imagine. Embrace it, and congrats!

RS3579

WKR
Congratulations. You’ll never know how much more or less work twins are. You have nothing to compare it to. It’s the greatest thing in life to come out of the previous greatest thing in life! Good luck!

brimow

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats! I was in the exact same scenario about 9 years ago. (struggle to get pregnant, IVF, Twin A & Twin B) We were blessed with a boy and a girl (now 8). They were our first and only kids. We had no idea of what we were doing and were scared to death. They also came 2 months early so had to deal with that right out of the gate (51 days in the NICU). I agree with some of the poster's above and will put those points below.

Biggest thing I can tell you as a dad that has been through this is do everything you can to help and make your WIFE's life easier. The 1st year will be extremely demanding on her especially if breastfeeding. Do everything you can to enable her to have breaks and time to herself. You need this time to bond with the kids as well. The 1st year can be very challenging emotionally and physically on the both of you (speaking from experience).

Having twins is all that we know but it has been incredible. I cannot imagine not having them grow up together. Yes (2) of everything but you also get a built-in companion for each of them.

Having family close by is very helpful. There is a lot to juggle and sometimes you just need a break. Especially when both working full-time. We fortunately had 1 set of grandparents 2 miles away. Rest of extended family lives across the country.

Early-on getting schedules similar is paramount. Feeding and napping schedules are very important for both you and your wife's sanity.

Don't be scared to make mistakes! I lived like that for way to long. Keep them all safe and fed and the rest will come naturally. I did this when I turned 40 and couldn't trust my instincts but I should have.

Lastly, get ready for the ride of your life!

Feel free to pm me if you want to discuss anything.

ZDR

WKR
Father of twin daughters here. Be ready for the most amazing and rewarding adventure you will have in life. The first 3 years will be tough, but as others said, getting them on a routine is critical to you and your wife getting rest. My daughters are now 23, both graduated college and love the outdoors. My wife and I took them on hunts, fishing, camping, ski, climbing trips starting when they were 1. Now both of them are into backpacking, climbing 14ers, skiing, snowshowing, running and archery. So dont hesitate to live an active lifestyle with them early on, theyll pick it up with you.
Congrats!
PS: dont forget to take care of your wife...the first few years will be particularly draining for her.

Opah

WKR
They will be all grown up before you know it, enjoy, remember each will have their own unique personality. and one thing to know is you can only provide them the tools and instructions it is up to them if they use them or not.

dtrkyman

WKR
My best friend has twin daughters currently attending DePaul university

He’s a working man, no idea how he pulls it off!

Fortunately both are amazing young ladies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rclouse79

WKR
This is not related to hunting at all. But this community has been clutch in a lot of ways, I'm seeking advice. Those of you with twins, what have I got myself into? We've been trying for years, and finally were able to get my wife pregnant through IVF. We were shocked yesterday when we went in for our first ultrasound and saw two little nuggets in there! I'm beyond excited, but have no idea what I am in for.

View attachment 270933
I have never experienced twins, but based on one at a time I would guess you are in for many long sleepless nights. I am guessing the due date will be somewhere in the middle of hunting season. I lost a good chunk of a season because I couldn't really be out in the middle of nowhere in the event of an early and unexpected delivery. Good luck!

Fatcamp

WKR
September/October due date? SMH, bro.

I bet you're one of those guys with a Fall wedding too. Hope you like ice fishing.

I kid. I kid. No twins here but a pack of pretty good kids.

Yes you will make it, I've had the same thing happen twice!!! My first two girls are 5 now and the latest 2 girls are 1, busy times. Definitely get them on the same schedule otherwise you will go crazy. Congratulations!! Yep and you will roll your eyes when people complain about one.

Life is wonderful... and hard. I had to get married at 18 and had a baby and a house payment before I could grow a beard. I found a way to rise to the challenge and so will you.

jmez

WKR
I have twin boys and two other boys. Twins are now 7. Like has been said, schedule is everything with twins. Get them on one and stick too it.

Once you get a schedule established with them it isn't too bad.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Agross

WKR
Congrats man twins are pretty awesome I have twins along with an older child. It is a lot of work but you have an advantage you won’t know any different because you didn’t have a single child first! The best part about it is the bond they have and how they already have someone to play with. The feeding, changing and sleeping is a lot of work but once you get it dialed in it isn’t that bad. I say all this as mine are 6 now and honestly it was all a blur and time went so fast since so busy. Congrats again it will all work out and will be awesome watching them grow up with a best friend!
This is spot on. I have an almost 11 year old daughter and almost 9 year old twins( boy and a girl). So cool to watch their bond. Load up on sleep now and I think it’s been mentioned but start stocking up on diapers. Most of all enjoy it . Congrats.