What heads are you shooting?

Looking for opinions on what heads all the trad shooters are running this year.

Building some arrows for my longbow and have to decide what im going to shoot for heads.

I shoot 125 grain stingers, 150 grain cutthroat 2 blades, and 175 VPA 3 blades, depending on which arrows I’m running. Both the VPAs and the cutthroats are super easy to sharpen and they hold an edge really well. Stingers are cheap, fly great, and get the job done

OP
Bighunt531
I shoot 125 grain stingers, 150 grain cutthroat 2 blades, and 175 VPA 3 blades, depending on which arrows I’m running. Both the VPAs and the cutthroats are super easy to sharpen and they hold an edge really well. Stingers are cheap, fly great, and get the job done
I have killed deer with stingers good heads

Geewhiz

WKR
I killed a bull last year with 300 grain non vented vpa’s. No complaints.

Iron Wills. They're expensive, but for elk they've been great. I figure I put a lot of effort into elk. Might as well spend some extra coin on a premium head for when that moment comes.
The edge retention and ease of sharpening is really good!

For a cheaper head I really like Simmons. You just need that Rada sharpener and plan on putting your own edge on them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

blazingangel09

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to try some NAP Thunderhead 125's this year because I caught a bunch on a steal of a sale. Next year I may take the plunge into 2 blade single bevel.

Beendare

WKR
Lots of good choices. If I feel like shooting American made I shoot the Magness buzz cuts or the VPA’s.

if I have my cheap shoes on I’m shooting the German Jaegers for about five bucks each on eBay. both good heads.

FWIW, from what I’ve seen of these very efficient broadheads is they do not need to be expensive knife steel to hold a good edge through an animal. The design of these tapered two blades puts very little pressure on the edge, so decent steel holds a razor edge through everything I have shot even with my compound.

Last edited:

WMag338

WKR
Iron Will S100’s for me. Fly great. Tune easily. Bill is a sponsor on here and is a great guy. They also have a great warranty on their heads if you have any issue. I recommend them to everyone.

this year i'm shooting 2 different heads with plans of narrowing my choice to a single head to shoot in the future.... i like simplicity, i'm just not very good at it.

i'm shooting iron will (S200) and valkyrie blood eagles, of course also in 200gr..... if the blood eagles don't rust easier than IW, it may be a difficult choice.... i like what both offer. the valkryrie heads just look like they will penetrate so well, and i'm shooting low 50#'s in draw weight with a 28" draw, pretty low energy setup for elk, and both heads are top shelf and efficient.

Btaylor

WKR
Gotcha. There’s a wide 3 blade now.
I got the 2 blades very sharp but wasn’t sure about if I also got the tips shaving sharp .
What wide 3 blade are you referring too? I havent found one and I have been looking. That said I am looking for glue on heads though.

J Curlee

FNG
160 gr Ace heads for everything except turkeys, they get to meet Mr. Snuffer. lol
I can get-em razor sharp, they are very durable, they kill critters, and I don't have to take out a loan to buy-em.
Oh yea, I glue them on tapered cedar arrows.
Jim

I have used a bunch over the years and settled on VPA 3 blade 200s a few years back. I have also had great success with Simmons Safari's. I recently switched over to Day six arrows and considered trying his heads, but have so many VPA's now it was hard to switch and make the investment. I have buddies using Iron Will and Valkarie and love them, but I will be using the VPA 200 for elk, lope, whitetail and pigs this year. They are just an all around versatile head, easy to sharpen, and penetrate well with their close to 3 to 1 design. I dont cry when I lose one either haha!