What heads are you shooting?

in the past year I've run145 grain eclipse, Zwicky eskimo & no mercy, Vpa 3 blade, Simmons tree shark and tiger shark (or whatever the smaller glue on used to be that looks like the tree shark), Tuff head, Cutthroat 2 blade, Ace standard (great to sharpen), Magnus 1 (the old ones super wide). cant say I see much of a difference given the shot is good. Id shoot whatever is easiest to sharpen which ive had a hell of a time sharpening VPA 3 blade heads to the sharpness I like. I also personally wouldn't want to be shooting an expensive head as Ive lost 4 arrows since January hunting...you don't wanna be not taking the shot cause your worried about loosing a $60 arrow haha. I think the Simmons heads are mellow to sharpen with a rat tail file and round ceramic rod though they don't touch the cutthroats and tuff heads on penetration. Currently shooting Simmons and tuffhead on carbons but half of those heads I listed were 125 grain glue ons on wood arrows. Ive had great blood and ive had horrible blood from every head and every size minus the tree shark which is great if you can get them to fly well and shoot a heavy enough arrow to compensate for lack of penetration. I only bring up penetration cause I shoot wild hogs and they can be tough on arrows. Just get what you can get the sharpest which for me were ace and eclipse...the eclipse glue ons with an adapter are bombproof for the price, really sturdy head.

Titan_Bow

WKR
You guys should stop running with your broadhead tipped arrows, Remember, SAFETY FIRST :p I have probably shot more stuff with 160 grain STOS heads, I really like those and still have a dozen of them in good or new condition. I also really like RMSG CutThroats. I'm using the 150s this year out of my recruve. I've shot a couple deer with my longbow with CutThroats as well. After digging them out of the dirt after complete passthroughs, its hard to tell the difference between them and brand new ones. That is one big plus for these "premium" broadheads. My STOS heads tend to get bent tips or beat up pretty bad after passing through.

hockey7

FNG
Abowyer single bevel...hard steel that holds an edge...variety of weights...
The large, wide "bonehead" is my favourite

In 2 blade I love the Simmons 165 land shark & my 3 blades are VPA’s or Wensel Woodmans. All are great as I’m just primarily a Whitetail hunter.

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider
Still running the valkyrie system & loving them. But I may try a couple of RMS 3-blades on Ethics inserts as a less-expensive alternative for certain different applications

Last edited:
On my Dorado, 190 grain Simmons Treesharks and 205 grain Simmons Safaris on a 2018 aluminum arrow.
Total arrow weight is 630 grains
If I hunt with my Bear K Mag or 76'er, I'll be using Rocky Royals (a blast from the past) on a Gold Tip 35/55.

Kentucky

WKR
Ran into a good deal on some 250g cutthroats.. I was using ace, some zwickey, and a couple years ago kudu heads.. been looking forward to getting some cutthroats just couldn’t stomach the price knowing that an Ace head is as good once as any high dollar head.. at the end of that day it’s all about shot placement