What height boot do you wear?

vegas hunter

Lil-Rokslider
What height boot do guys prefer for long hikes? I know a lot of people on here like the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes, but I also see some lower 6" to 8" boots being favored. I have a pair of Crispi Mountain Hunters that are 10 or 11" that i love, but I see the Hanwags and Lowas are almost all 6 or 8". Does the lower height have a benefit, or is it just personal preference?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
For me it depends on terrain and pack weight. I have done lenty in Solomon hiking shoes with a 4" height and for the most part don't go over 8" on anything.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
My Lowa boots I wear a lot were 10" which were VERY nice to have the extra freeboard under my gaiters when crossing the mountain creeks. But right now I am using Hanwag Alaskans from L&S which 8". Like Rosin though I do a LOT of hiking in standard Solomon hiking shoes when scouting and hiking in the summer.

OP
V

vegas hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I use a pair of Merrel hiking boots for trail hiking. I get alot of crap in my boots though. Just got the Kenetreks on the STP super sale. Not sure I want to keep them or go for something a little shorter. The Kenetreks are so dang supportive and well made, and I have become such a gear freak, I can't decide! :)

ElkNut1

WKR
10" is my favorite, 8" will work but not as well for me! We hunt extremely tough terrain with lots of downfall, the 10" gives great support for normal hunting but are really needed once we're loaded down with elk quarters & headed out where we need all the ankle/foot support we can get! At present I'm wearing the Crispi GTX Hunters 10" high. Personally I stay away from 8" & lesser boots for elk hunts!

ElkNut1

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
8" works great for me. I personally believe it is much more important to have a good wide heel to stabilize your foot than an extra 2-3 inches of heigth. JMHO

dotman

WKR
I prefer a 6in, for some reason I never could get used to or like a 10in.

I have always noticed that tall boots seem to bunch up at the ankle and not give quite as much lateral support. The downside is debris in the boots and less height for Gore-Tex to work. Hiking boots were designed before good hunting boots were around. It is good to see things evolve for the hunter as in boots and packs and other gear. I am a boot junkie from being born with flat feet, always searching for the best and most supportive footwear.