What hunt doesn’t interest you?

BowTrout

FNG
Hunting in Africa does not appeal to me at all. I'm not against it, it's just not my thing.

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
There is not any type of hunting I wouldn't try once.

If I didn't like it, then I likely wouldn't do it again but I like to try new things and have new experiences.

Africa didn't appeal to me until I went. Then I went 7 more times.

Hunting out of a tree stand in the Midwest seemed boring. Until I did it and heck, that was fun too.

By far my favorite hunts are mountain type adventure hunts but I'll try anything once.

But to each their own, everyone is different and not a damn thing wrong with that.

Just read through all of these and was kind of shocked at the frequency of turkey...

I'm a relatively new hunter and turkey is the second animal I've hunted (other is whitetail) and I found it totally enjoyable. Listening to them gobble, trying to call them in, scouting the day(s) before to find where they're roosting, and even some spot&stalk or still hunting on occasion, it seems to offer a little bit of something for everyone. And given it's a spring season for most hunters when there's not a ton of conflict, I was really surprised to see so many list it as one of the few, or even the only, thing they wouldn't hunt.

Would love to hear some elaborations from anyone that posted about turkey as to why specifically it's something they wouldn't/won't hunt.

TIA!

Turkey - I have killed them, called them in, etc....it's fine but in the Spring I would rather be fishing.
Bears - never done it....seen a bunch of grizzlies in NWT, was definitely puckering, and would shoot one if I needed to in a heartbeat.
Zebra
Giraffe
Deer getting run by dogs - I did deer dog hunting once in N Fl. 3 generations of family hauling ass on dirt roads talking on CBs....eating pigs feet, vienna sausages, some folks drinking beer. Slam on brakes, get out, barking gets closer, deer runs out, all hell breaks loose. People shooting and hollering. It was fun but seemed dangerous and indiscriminate.
Hogs getting run by dogs - Tried this too.....hog screaming bloody murder while the hero picks out his weapon. Saw a guy use a box cutter like he was a real badass. I felt bad for the pig sitting there squealing and how he had to get killed like this, and by that guy, in that manner. Was not hunting to me.
A treed cat, or anything else cornered and afraid.

Being from GA, my first big game hunting was deer out of a stand. It's a way of life. After going on a sheep hunt, training and preparing for 2 years prior including exercise, diet, reloading, shooting at distance, and hauling 85# for 12 miles on the packout through grizzly territory, I obviously don't look at sitting in a treestand back east and waiting for a deer to walk by the same way anymore. But I also don't look down on it. It is a part of who I am, and a part of the culture of where I am from. Alot of my buddies who have only whitetail hunted back east, never been west of the mississippi or north of the border, and heard about my sheep hunt think I'm just a guy who wrote a check and pulled the trigger. Lots of folks on here probably do too. It changed my life and changed me in the years leading up to it, and certainly during and after. Writing the check and pulling the trigger were the easy part. It's everything else that I remember and that changed me.

Interesting reading all the replies. Obviously we are all shaped by our experiences (or lack thereof) to date in life. Some of it seems like sour grapes/insecurity. As an example, I live in Florida and I can go out right now and get in my kayak and go catch a 30 inch snook. I live here and know what to do, where to go, what tackle to use, where to fish, and why. But if a guy from Canada wants to come here and go on vacation and use a guide to catch a snook, I am happy for him that he gets to experience that. No, he doesn't know what I know, but how could he? And why does that matter? I don't understand why people have to constantly put themselves on a pedestal. I swear alot of people out there are just miserable and are insecure.

African game.

I never had a desire to purse that type of hunt.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR
It’s interesting so many hunters have no desire to hunt Africa.
African game.

I never had a desire to purse that type of hunt.

Just curious how you would describe an African hunt.

Good question.

From the terrain and species I see primarily. No desire for various buffalo and cats (no desire for North American cats either). Of the hunts I have seen on tv--nothing has made me want to go out and do it. I am sure I am missing certain aspects however I only know what has been published, etc.

npm352

WKR
Just out of curiosity, what Hunt doesn’t interest you or wouldn’t you want to do? I don’t know if there’s any hunt I wouldn’t do, but anything high fence doesn’t do anything for me. The thought of hunting Africa also doesn’t do anything for me. I guess it just doesn’t seem like enough work. I feel accomplished when I have to put in time, energy, fuel, effort, knowledge, etc to hunt something. Hunting in Africa doesn’t seem like it would take much. Maybe the videos make it look to easy. I would do it if someone paid for me, but don’t think I could justify it even if I had the money laying around. So what hunt doesn’t interest you and why not?
Go hunt elephant by traditional tracking in an unfenced dangerous game area and tell me it isn't enough work. Many will walk over 100 miles on their hunt in nasty heat and never get a shot. I get that each person has their own preferences, but categorizing Africa as "easy" is simply untrue. Some bighorn sheep hunts are very easy, but it would be ignorant to say sheep hunting is easy. Africa has some of the most physical and mentally challenging hunts on Earth. I have not hunted bongo, but a 30 day hunt in the rain forest with 10 yard visibility is not what I'd call easy, physically or mentally. And as far as mentally tough, ask a PH about the most flubbed shot in Africa: 40-50 yards from a blind with a dead solid rest with a scoped rifle on a feeding leopard is what guys with any experience will say. Then they have to go find the wounded thing in the dark.

Terrapin

WKR
Anything that involves money changing hands. I figure if I’m going to pay to hunt something that someone raised, I’m going to shoot a moo cow, load it with a tractor, and have it hung and cut by a butcher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SigM1

FNG
Nothing high fence at all. to be honest I don’t like to do anything guided that I can’t do diy. Obviously like a dall sheep or a stone sheep hunt would have to be with a guide or resident but for me having all the pressure on myself to perform makes the success so much sweeter. Also if the hunt goes bad, which I have had on guided hunts you feel like you could have done that same experience without the guide and haven’t paid them, and now you’re out the money. I love the whole escouting, and scouting experience, and then coming up with a game plan myself. I’m not very interested in shooting females of species on purpose unless it’s clearly good for the population as a management hunt. I’m not too keen on Africa either, I’m not opposed but it’s probably something I wouldn’t pay a few grand for. I’d love to diy New Zealand though.

rob86jeep

WKR
Anything that involves money changing hands. I figure if I’m going to pay to hunt something that someone raised, I’m going to shoot a moo cow, load it with a tractor, and have it hung and cut by a butcher.

What's the difference from paying one "state" close to $1k for an elk tag vs paying a rancher $1k for an elk tag? If they're both DIY, the only difference is the price and amount of acreage available to hunt.

bdg848

WKR
I would LOVE to spot and stalk black bear but have zero interest in shooting one over bait. I also have no interest in shooting deer over a "feeder" aka bait.

Africa as I don't prefer hot weather and feel uneasy traveling internationally, bison never really interested me but I'll watch them on tv, don't turkey hunt as I'm still trying to make wife happy after being gone most of fall and high fence hunts not for me.

Grew up chasing mainly Mule Deer with some whitetail mixed in the areas we hunt (every deer I've harvested is on National Forrest Public Land) but got game cameras out last year and tried the tree stand thing for whitetails in the late season. Found it was a whole new challenge picking out stand locations, figuring out patterns and trying to stay warm sitting still. Very cool watching deer walk under you and not have a clue you're there and just feel like I learned a lot that season even though I ate my tag I really enjoyed the hunt. You fight the urge to hike around but convince yourself to stay put. Still prefer hiking and glassing hillsides/drainages in the backcountry spike camping but enjoyed learning something new.