What hunt doesn’t interest you?

Sitting on private land in a blind or stand.
😴

Or anything else on private land for that matter. I peeled out of Oklahoma so fast it still makes me dizzy, mostly because of the lack of public land and actual, for real mountains.

Anything where the word “feeder” is involved.

For sure high fence. It also may be unpopular opinion but I haven't quite understood the allure for sheep. I mean I do, but it doesn't get me all riled up like it does for some guys.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
Just doesn't get me fired up like big mature whitetail bucks do I guess. That opinion may change over time, though. I haven't hunted out west yet, but when I do it'll probably be for mule deer or antelope. Heck even a whitetail hunt in Montana or Wyoming would pretty freaking cool.
One good elk hunt and you will change your mind, especially if you are a bow hunter. I guarantee you.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
Waterfowl - never interested me.
Hog hunting if I have to pay some landowner a big fee for it. I've thought going south with a group of guys to hunt hogs would be a good time, but I'll be damned if I'll pay some outfit a bunch of money like you were going on a guided elk hunt or something. On one hand you have the majority of the land owners with hogs whining they need all the hogs killed because of the damage they are doing, but then want to sell hog hunts for big $$$.
I guess if I had people willing to shell out the money to shoot hogs I want gone anyway, I'd probably do the same thing, but being on the other end, I'll pass.

Grisha

Lil-Rokslider
High fence repulses me. Anything that doesn't involve harvesting and using the meat (and as much of the animal as possible).

Threads like this that focus on what folks don’t like often end up being quite divisive, with a good deal of virtue signaling. Much better to focus on our desires or likes.

Been very fortunate to have hunted on 6 Continents, and had an absolute blast with most of it. Some wonderful adventures that set in motion some life-long friendships and associations. Great memories shared with great folks.

Must say I’m quite surprised by all the Africa-bashing. There are over 50 counties on this continent with incredible variety of biospheres and habitats. The hunting variety is unsurpassed anywhere else on the planet; and hunts can be tailored to suit any level of challenge sought. Some of my favorites were - bowhunting free-ranging Bushbok along the Limpopo and Zambezi rivers, and dangerous game hunts in Zambia’s Luwangua Valley and Northern Mozambique. Nothing like being chased by wild elephants, or being awakened by whooping hyenas and wild lions calling from within 50 yards from your tent in the Veld. Loved every minute of it.

Today, my current focus is more on mountain game - sheep and goats.

Last edited:

jpmulk

WKR
For whatever reason, mountain goat. Love seeing them. No interest in hunting them.

JesseC

FNG
Any kind of African safari seems like it would be a big waste of money to me.

Honestly - any kind of guided hunt personally turns me off. More than half of the fun is figuring it out on my own. No judgement to those of you who enjoy it - I'm just not wired that way.

bdg848

WKR
Any kind of African safari seems like it would be a big waste of money to me.

Honestly - any kind of guided hunt personally turns me off. More than half of the fun is figuring it out on my own. No judgement to those of you who enjoy it - I'm just not wired that way.
I have only been out west for hunting three times. I loved pouring over maps and doing all the other research. But then I get there and the HUNTING trip turns into just camping with a rifle. No luck, except for my pronghorn trip, but that's pretty easy. My future trips will be guided until I can come close to having a clue on what I'm doing. If I lived within just a quick drive of the mountains, then everything I did would be DIY and learn as you go but I'm realizing now that only doing one trip per year and 1,500 miles each way just isn't going to get me there...at least anytime this decade. Even only going every other year to save for a guide will be more productive for game in the bag and learning experience.

PvilleMac

FNG
I have no interest in muskox. It just doesnt seem like a fun hunt to me. Im open to anyone telling me why Im wrong though.

Last edited:

dwils233

FNG
Coastal Alaskan black bear, if the rumor that the meat tastes and smells like fish is true. All good tasting bear meat I'm on board for