what hunting bullet and powder 16” 308

mcseal2

WKR
I have a Ruger Gunsite scout rifle with a 16” barrel and 1-6x Huskemaw scope mounted on an XS rail. Its a conventional scope, not a scout mount.

Its a reasonable weight rifle with it’s synthetic stock and the 3rd mag at 7lbs 11oz ready to hunt. I’m wanting to use it as my back-up rifle for western hunts. I shoot a Rifles Inc 300 win as my primary gun, but like to have a back-up at the truck. I like the back-up to be good at still hunting tight quarters if I find myself having to hunt muleys that way. I sold the pump 30-06 that was filling this role to a left handed friend, thought I’d use the Ruger in this small role rather than buy another rifle.

I’m wanting to get a good hunting load that will perform to 450 yards or so from the short barrel, but also perform well on quartering shots up close. I’m also interested in powders for the short barrel. I’d likely only use it still hunting unless my 300 had an issue, but want to be able to reach a little if I need to.

I have 150 grain and 180 grain Sierra Gamekings and Nosler Accubonds on hand, as well as 165 grain Ballistic tips. I’m willing to try others if I can find them. Once I find a load I’ll chronograph it and then see how far it should reliably expand. Then I’ll have a yardage turret for the Huskemaw made. I think a yardage rather than MOA turret will be fine for the maximum ranges I’d use this rifle scope combo.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

EastMT

WKR
I have an 18” 308, i shoot 180 partitions, do the job just fine. I like w760 powder, as it works good in my WSM as well. 165/180 AB will be fine too, I lean fat/slow with the 308.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
Figure out what velocity you will have at your max range and make sure the minimum velocity for the bullet to expand isn’t higher than that plus a little buffer. Not sure on the bullets you have but the manufacturer could tell you.

regarding powders, barrel length doesn’t have anything to do with the best powder burn rate for a cartridge. Shorter barrels don’t need or benefit from faster powders than longer barrels. The best powder for velocity in a 24” 308’s will also be the best for velocity with a 16” barrel.

I have a 16.5" Ruger American in 308 that I run suppressed. Cut it down from 22". It shoots 180 nosler partitions, 165 ballistic tips and 165 AB sub moa, all factory federal premium loads. I've taken more mule deer than I can count and an elk still hunting timber at close distances in Colorado. As others have mentioned, be cognizant of distance. I consider this an under 200 yard rifle. Despite the slower speeds I don't like BTs at close range, so much damage.

I like 150 grain soft points and H4895 for my LR-308 16". A soft 165 expanding bullet would also be something I would try to see if the gun likes them. I don't have any Varget, but I have CFE223 for something a bit slower for the mid-weight bullets. My gun is just a 1.5" gun so far and I have yet to find a bullet it truly likes.

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
165gr lead projectile with h4895 leaves the muzzle at 2700fps out of my 18" RAP. Drops below 1800fps at around 500-550yds if I remember correctly, so that's within the Accubond's accepted tolerances.

jmo

FNG
I found a 178 grain ELD-X load with a muzzle velocity of 2350 and a 175 grain LRX load with MV of 2450 that are both sub moa out of my 16" barrel. Both use VARGET and both are mid 1700s FPS at 450 yards. The manufacturer minimum expansion velocity for both is 1600 FPS. I don't think I'll ever take a shot on an animal with those loads over 400 though.

I really wanted to make the 168 grain Accubond Long Range work, but my rifle absolutely would not tolerate it. I'm interested in seeing what some 175 grain Terminal Ascent can do, but that has been impossible for me to find anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

RL 15 has been faster for me than Varget. I would stick with 150 class or lighter. Been shooting 124 gr hammers lately out of my 16" 308 -going for less recoil for kids. I have a box of 151 absolute hammers that I need to try and see if the gained velocity from bullet design makes up for the shorter barrel, may be the answer.

I have a box of 151 absolute hammers that I need to try and see if the gained velocity from bullet design makes up for the shorter barrel, may be the answer.

I'm working up a load in a 16 inch bolt gun .308 and using the 151 Absolute Hammers I went just over 2800 fps using Fed 210 M primers, Lapua brass, and Ramshot TAC powder. Ended up above book max with no pressure signs. Life and an elk hunting trip got in the way of load workup so haven't had time to go higher, but I do have loads worked up further above book max to try. So far these look promising.

I'm working up a load in a 16 inch bolt gun .308 and using the 151 Absolute Hammers I went just over 2800 fps using Fed 210 M primers, Lapua brass, and Ramshot TAC powder. Ended up above book max with no pressure signs. Life and an elk hunting trip got in the way of load workup so haven't had time to go higher, but I do have loads worked up further above book max to try. So far these look promising.
Thanks for the info! With the 124 my safe max load is about 2900. I have hit 3000 fps but the bolt is too tight 😬 so won’t go there again. 2800 with a 151 out of a 16” barrel is great! As good as any 22” with a normal bullet

Berger024

WKR
Anyone have an MV for a 150gr out of a 16.5"? Any help would be appreciated. Switching from Hornady 178gr ELDX to 150 Barnes TTSX 150gr. I wasn't getting any/much expansion with the ELD-X with shorter range kills on whitetail. Thanks.