what hunting release?

sk1

WKR
So being that my tru fire hardcore release broke.....I am trying to figure out what new release to go with.

I am a big fan of the fold back design, and hook style....which leaves me with the tru fire hardcore max, hardcore, or spot hogg wiseguy from what i can find. the spot hogg wiseguy feels too small in my hand, and im trying to avoid going with the same tru fire hardcore release that broke on me.

what do you guys use while hunting? I can't stand a release in the way on my hand, do you use the strap style and tuck it back under the wrist strap? I was also considering the scott rhino xt.

ideas, suggestions?

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
Spot Hogg Wiseguy. Super crisp trigger with no travel or slop.

i didn't shoot with it, but i put one on the other day....it seems too short if you have big hands it feels like i can barely get my finger back far enough to pull the trigger with it fully extended, i thought maybe i could get used to it.....but in addition to that the buckle strap is so short also, there is no way i could wear that with gloves in the late season, possibly not even thin ones......i was really disappointed as i was set on buying the wiseguy

cmeier117

WKR
I have been using the new Timney release with the hook. Very simple, great trigger. I love it so far!

JG358

WKR
I think I'm going to be using Scott Rhino xt this year.

Last edited:
OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
I have been using the new Timney release with the hook. Very simple, great trigger. I love it so far!

they must not be interested in selling them....not listed on their website only the caliper one is from what i can tell. does that hook style fold back by chance? :/

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
What do you mean fold back? I will email them and ask what's up with that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX4hHsQMXy8

look at 20 seconds into that video, that is why i loved the tru fire hardcore release so much, until of course it broke.....wear it all day long and never have it in the way.....the spot hogg wiseguy does this also i believe.....im wondering how people keep their releases out of the way when not using a style like this

Last edited:

cmeier117

WKR
Nope doesn't do this. It is attached through a cable covered in a rubber material.
c0808f71.jpg

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
that looks like a nice release, but i think if im going to go away from a fold back design i would want the head to be on a tether or whatever you wanna call it so i could fold it back under the wrist strap and out of the way

dotman

WKR
When I have my release on I jusy tuck it under my sleeve of my baselayer. But this means no short sleeve option.

Matt Palmquist

Lil-Rokslider
I would vote for the wiseguy as well, but it sounds like that is not an option. If you liked the trufire I would stick with it and buy two so you always have a backup. I used the Truball short N Sweet before switching to Spot Hogg, but it is even smaller than the wiseguy so I would guess it wouldn't work.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
If you like the hook style you should also check out the Carter Quickie. That's what I use and I really like it.

what do you do with the release when wearing it hiking, tuck it back under the strap to keep it out of the way? the carter quickie is one i have been considering as well