What Hunting Videos Interest You?

IMG_8010.JPG
Looking for ideas from other guys that either watch or make their own videos?

A little bit about us: A group of friends and family that decided to hunt just like you, we just happen to have a camera with us when we go. I personally got into this as a teenager, and after getting an associates degree in Digital Marketing I decided to start up a small business. The business is based on Faith, Brotherhood, and the Outdoors.

Now that we're a few years into this, we've built up a schedule of hunts and trips we have wanted to go on for years. The only downside is that everyone knows the market for hunting videos is saturated. However, our goal isn't to do this for a living, we just want to show that the average joe can go out into the field, and have a successful hunt. We also love the idea of connecting with guys and sharing our faith through our passions in the outdoors.

My question for you is: With all of the content there is out there today, what is something different that you guys would prefer to watch over treestand sitting for whitetails?

I'm using this to gather some intel so I can hopefully impact some more beginner and novice hunters as they get introduced to the same sport we all love. Here's a video link to show past work, and it's only going to get better from here.

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 308581
Looking for ideas from other guys that either watch or make their own videos?

A little bit about us: A group of friends and family that decided to hunt just like you, we just happen to have a camera with us when we go. I personally got into this as a teenager, and after getting an associates degree in Digital Marketing I decided to start up a small business. The business is based on Faith, Brotherhood, and the Outdoors.

Now that we're a few years into this, we've built up a schedule of hunts and trips we have wanted to go on for years. The only downside is that everyone knows the market for hunting videos is saturated. However, our goal isn't to do this for a living, we just want to show that the average joe can go out into the field, and have a successful hunt. We also love the idea of connecting with guys and sharing our faith through our passions in the outdoors.

My question for you is: With all of the content there is out there today, what is something different that you guys would prefer to watch over treestand sitting for whitetails?

I'm using this to gather some intel so I can hopefully impact some more beginner and novice hunters as they get introduced to the same sport we all love. Here's a video link to show past work, and it's only going to get better from here.
I like almost any hunting videos with good sound quality and picture quality. Just don’t make it look like it was done with a cell phone. Otherwise I also like when guys explain what they are doing in the video, not for too long, but you can be like, “hey, now we are going to go up to that ridge and get a different angle” rather than just having a ton of scenes put together and we have no idea what’s going on. I hope that’s helpful.

Man, all of Stalker's stuff he's been putting out with the Push is really good. That and Western Hunter. It's a lot more cinematic, but they don't Donnie Vincent it up too much and I just really like that style.

I think there's a lot of the "how-to" and documentation guys out there already, like Elk101, Hunting Public, BRO, Hush, etc, and they do a good job... but I am not going to sit on YouTube every night for 45 nights to watch a season unfold.

Excellent thread. I just recently started my own channel and I'm looking at filming my first hunt/daily journal on our september hunt.

I'm currently using filmora for editing and that is working well.

Besides drone shots, are their any other shots or filming styles that people think are neat? Timelapse? Landscape? POV narration?

OP
gabedenzine
Man, all of Stalker's stuff he's been putting out with the Push is really good. That and Western Hunter. It's a lot more cinematic, but they don't Donnie Vincent it up too much and I just really like that style.

I think there's a lot of the "how-to" and documentation guys out there already, like Elk101, Hunting Public, BRO, Hush, etc, and they do a good job... but I am not going to sit on YouTube every night for 45 nights to watch a season unfold.
I'm Kind of glad you said that because that was probably my intent. It's like I have to pick an audience per say. Some viewers like having a season/ Vlog style to follow. Other guys seem to like just a hunting episode of a full hunt every so often... Decisions decisions...

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
I enjoy the Vlog style, but I am kind of getting tired of it because so many are doing it now. I think that there needs to be more of a happy medium between that entire hunt being in one episode and the daily vlog style.

dlee56

WKR
Good visuals and thorough coverage of the process. The quick hype videos can be cool but I enjoy a detailed leadup, not a huge fan of the videos that are like:

"We just landed here in alaska (cut to moose in spotter) (cut to killshot) Alaska has been great"

I'm Kind of glad you said that because that was probably my intent. It's like I have to pick an audience per say. Some viewers like having a season/ Vlog style to follow. Other guys seem to like just a hunting episode of a full hunt every so often... Decisions decisions...
Yeah, man. I think you guys have to have a goal for what you're doing, as well. Like you said, pick an audience. If it's all about helping folks get into this stuff, how will you do it differently than everyone else? If you go the cinematic style, is it because you want to inspire folks and get a pile of views that eventually lead to sponsorships? If you want to document it for your own sake and do minimal editing in a vlog style, there's nothing wrong with that either!

Lots of options. I'm sure you guys will figure it out. BEST OF LUCK!

OP
gabedenzine
Excellent thread. I just recently started my own channel and I'm looking at filming my first hunt/daily journal on our september hunt.

I'm currently using filmora for editing and that is working well.

Besides drone shots, are their any other shots or filming styles that people think are neat? Timelapse? Landscape? POV narration?
That's more of a brand and style question, me being younger and trying to appear a little bit cinematic, but yet upbeat enough to keep peoples attention. I would throw a couple in a video as long as they make sense, but I don't want a drug-out video because I threw too much of those kinds of shots in...

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I like the videos done by just regular guys having fun, because it makes me feel like myself and/or my buddies (when I can get them to go) could go there and have similar fun/success. The video quality for me doesn't matter much, sure lower quality is harder to watch, but I would rather watch a guy filming with a cell phone than any commercial hunting show anyday

I immediately turn the channel (or switch youtube channels) the moment I hear they are hunting at an outfitter or something similar that I know I will never afford or pay to do. Plus if I am watching videos, I am wanting to learn how to hunt the public land there in the area I search for. I don't feel watching private land outfitted videos will prepare me for what I will see on public.

topher89

WKR
Not a fan of the Vlogs.... most guys are not nearly as interesting as they think they are. Unless you have some great footage of animals or some close encounters/something interesting, hearing about how you glassed in one spot, then move to another spot and then decided the first spot was better is not that interesting.

20-40 minutes, one hunt with some sort of narrative driver is where it is at

OP
gabedenzine
I like the videos done by just regular guys having fun, because it makes me feel like myself and/or my buddies (when I can get them to go) could go there and have similar fun/success. The video quality for me doesn't matter much, sure lower quality is harder to watch, but I would rather watch a guy filming with a cell phone than any commercial hunting show anyday

I immediately turn the channel (or switch youtube channels) the moment I hear they are hunting at an outfitter or something similar that I know I will never afford or pay to do. Plus if I am watching videos, I am wanting to learn how to hunt the public land there in the area I search for. I don't feel watching private land outfitted videos will prepare me for what I will see on public.
Which is funny you say that. My mission statement is basically that I am the average Joe hunter, I just happen to carry a camera with me when I go.

OP
gabedenzine
Not a fan of the Vlogs.... most guys are not nearly as interesting as they think they are. Unless you have some great footage of animals or some close encounters/something interesting, hearing about how you glassed in one spot, then move to another spot and then decided the first spot was better is not that interesting.

20-40 minutes, one hunt with some sort of narrative driver is where it is at
I do know that's the difference between TV and Youtube. The vlog style is all Youtube because you need to have content every week to keep YouTube happy and your followers. They also make vlogs because most YouTubers only go on 2-4 big hunts a year, which in your case would mean only 4 videos... Youtube would rather them turn those 4 - 30 minute hunts into 8 different 10-15 minute videos. It's just how the platform works.

coyyota

WKR
Greg McHale’s Wild Yukon
The Mountain Project
The Wilderlifer
Bowhunt Downunder

SpringTom

FNG
I really wish hunting videos would spend more time on the game processing and more importantly, the cooking/eating. Even on shows that have cooking in them, usually don't show them eating and enjoying it.