What I learned from my first elk hunt.

Every hunt is a chance to realize how little you knew on your last hunt. I feel like I wish I could go back to archery season with the things I know now just a few weeks later.

A few lessons you highlighted that I completely agree with:
- Temperatures in the East don't translate to the West. 20 and sunny out here is nicer than most 45 days when I lived in Chicago.
- Nothing beats boots on the ground. I see guys on the hunting shows say stuff like "I'd trade a day of hunting for a day of scouting". I thought it was BS until I got to know the land I hunt. Knowing drainages, water, timber lines, glassing spots...invaluable to enjoying the hunting days
- Have plans A-Z. Plans A, B, and C don't often pan out, so more plans and strategies is ideal. I shot my elk this year using my 20th plan, hunting in my less than ideal spot. I wouldn't have shot him if I didn't have a handful of strategies in pocket.
- 10x42 is a great size for Western mountains. More practice looking at game, and picking apart mountains will pay off. I am learning every day that glassing is an acquired art. I'm not the greatest at it, but get better all the time.

A couple of related things I'll add:
- Good job getting in shape. Western hunting is hard. I live here and hike a lot, and I'm used to the altitude and still exhaust myself. Conditioning cannot be stressed enough. You found out that 5-8 miles a day is probably on the low side...and altitude gains and loses, temperature changes, running to catch up.
- Learn strategies for various times of year and behavior. Don't try to figure out in the field what to do when you don't see or hear any elk. I listen to a lot of podcasts while I work and pick up tips all the time.
- I very much prefer hunting in groups of 2. 3 can be ok if one already has a filled tag and can be a caller and set of eyes. In order, I prefer hunting in groups of 2, 1, or 3...4 or more is miserable. When I'm in groups hunting, we find our areas A, B, and C and send groups of 2 to each area and report back at the end of the day.

Another experience seeing about zero elk in the Frank. 100% of the reports I’ve heard this year. Makes me chuckle but I understand it is personally painful.

At what point will new guys from back east learn that the Frank is very tough hunting?

The real experience you would have had is getting an elk out from 8 miles deep. Yowza.

Why is it such a famous spot if it has no elk? I live in an area that is not famous for monster elk, but I see at least one bull 95% of the time I go out...but not a ton of people are coming here (shhh).

Why is it such a famous spot if it has no elk? I live in an area that is not famous for monster elk, but I see at least one bull 95% of the time I go out...but not a ton of people are coming here (shhh).

It was good in the 90s.

Let me be very clear: wolf and elk conditions in the Frank and Selway and Lolo in Idaho are nothing like Western Wyoming.

There’s 9 outfitters in unit 27 in Idaho. Success rates are around 20% with 1100 or so hunters. Outfitters make up at least half of the harvest. Unit 26 has success rates more like 15% because it’s deeper backcountry with poorer habitat. Lots of outfitters there also.

Hunter days per kill in 27 for 2018 was 36, in unit 26 it was 41.

Elk recruitment in recent years has been around 10 calves per 100 which is in the tank and showing a downward population trend.

Just really hard hunting in a massive wilderness area. Places near the few roads are crowded.

rustyN

Lil-Rokslider
10x binos are plenty for identifying a spike at 900 yards (or much farther) if you have good glass. I would invest in quality glass over higher mag.

Sounds like you guys learned a lot. One thing I've learned is don't push it too hard, especially if you are unfamiliar with the area. Sounds like you guys tried running before learning to crawl.

bmf0713

WKR
I think leaving early was a mistake. I too went on my first elk hunt this year in steep Colorado country without having boots on the ground. Boots on the ground would've been nice but wasn't possible for me. When we first arrived nothing was going right because everything looked different (compared to onx and google earth) we had road construction going on where I originally had spots picked to camp and hunt, some roads didn't match what the maps said and some were inaccessible. So we took it for what it was. Me and 1 friend hunted pretty hard the 5 day season never saw an elk, I fell in a creek, and we had to escape a forest fire. Never once did i wanna leave early. I would've killed to have 4 more days of hunting. If my friends wouldve suggested leaving early I would have been renting a trunk and driving home myself, and would not be going with those "friends" next year.

tntrker

WKR
Surprised at how many are recommending staying with the 10x binos. I was looking at upgrading from Leupolds 10x42 to Vortex Razors 10x50 and leaning more to their 12x50's, but I have no experience with the 50's..
Sorry your trip ended like it did. I'm not sure how I'd handled the leaving early part among my friends. I'd been a pissy ole coot all the way back and probably friendless after.. Hope it all works out and you get to do a much better hunt in the near future!

Steelhead

FNG
You said it toward the end of your report, but you should have stayed. After going that deep in, and seeing sign, making a base/spike camp would be what I'd do.
My party of 3 goes in a few miles, set camp and then give it several days of hiking and more hiking, returning to spike camp each night. We might only move if it is super bleak.
Average from 8 - 12 miles per day FROM our spike camp. Making loops, ridges, draws and terrain that makes you want to cry even considering going into.
This season there were zero bugles being returned but we managed to fill tags anyway after a week of hiking, bugling, glassing, hiking etc. Its ALL work, and it usually sucks. And that's just the hiking part. Wait until you get a bull down haha!
Regardless, you are now better prepared than what you were last season. Beleive that.

You said it toward the end of your report, but you should have stayed. After going that deep in, and seeing sign, making a base/spike camp would be what I'd do.
My party of 3 goes in a few miles, set camp and then give it several days of hiking and more hiking, returning to spike camp each night. We might only move if it is super bleak.
Average from 8 - 12 miles per day FROM our spike camp. Making loops, ridges, draws and terrain that makes you want to cry even considering going into.
This season there were zero bugles being returned but we managed to fill tags anyway after a week of hiking, bugling, glassing, hiking etc. Its ALL work, and it usually sucks. And that's just the hiking part. Wait until you get a bull down haha!
Regardless, you are now better prepared than what you were last season. Beleive that.

haha, yeah, hunting kinda suck. And the whole goal is to kill an animal. Then getting that dead animal out sucks! I don't get it...I don't know why I love it.

A good ass whipping now and then is healthy... one problem we all have is imagining that glory moment toting a monster rack or pile of salmon before we even leave the house. Those dreams can leave a guy mighty frustrated most of the time.

I'm only in my 40s but have finally realized that sitting on a mountain with good friends - with or without critters - is a real blessing compared to getting bitched at by the wife, running a small business, keeping up property, or wrangling a pile of children up for school each morning.

I love stacking 'em high, but the real goal for me is to get the hell away... a nice critter is just icing on the cake.

Expensive and frustrating learning experience that's caused some friction between close friends, nothing permanent I'm sure but still. Hope someone can benefit from it as I'm sure we have.

Good hunting partners will pick you up when shit gets rough brother. Gotta go in deep with people that truly got your back.

bmf0713

WKR
A good ass whipping now and then is healthy... one problem we all have is imagining that glory moment toting a monster rack or pile of salmon before we even leave the house. Those dreams can leave a guy mighty frustrated most of the time.

I'm only in my 40s but have finally realized that sitting on a mountain with good friends - with or without critters - is a real blessing compared to getting bitched at by the wife, running a small business, keeping up property, or wrangling a pile of children up for school each morning.

I love stacking 'em high, but the real goal for me is to get the hell away... a nice critter is just icing on the cake.
^^^This is it right here. I didnt even see an elk let alone kill one and ill will be eating the most expensive ($850) tag soup Ive ever had not including other costs of trip. And i don't care one bit. I actually had people come up to me at work and say "sorry about your hunt", I was like "what do you mean"? I had an awesome time and wish i was still up on the mountain. Cant wait to get my ass kicked next year. If someone gets butthurt because stuff is not going right or not harvesting an animal they need to sell there hunting stuff and take up coin collecting.

jmez

WKR
Sounds like an elk hunt! You found out the biggest mistake that those of us that don't live in the mountains make. Underestimating the size and difficulty of elk country. I've been doing this for years and it is still a problem. Nothing easy about a DIY elk hunt.

Sounds like an elk hunt! You found out the biggest mistake that those of us that don't live in the mountains make. Underestimating the size and difficulty of elk country. I've been doing this for years and it is still a problem. Nothing easy about a DIY elk hunt.

I always turn on the tracker in OnX to see where I've been. Even on a huge all day hunt, covering 8-12 miles, my track is so small compared to the area the elk could be in. Sometimes it makes me a little discouraged because I know I'll never be an expert on all of that land. Other times it's sorta an existential thing that puts in perspective how big the world is and how small I am.

For a long time ruff wilderness areas like the Church, Bob, and Selway were refuge for elk to get away from hunters that didn't want the misery of hunting such places. Lots of elk were killed, and they were made famous by writers of the time. Wolves and the inability to manage their numbers in such areas pretty much drove the elk out. Those areas now live on the reputation they had 20+ years ago, not on the reality of today. In all seriousness, they're a lot better experienced with a fly rod in hand instead of with a rifle or bow.

OP
Y
Another experience seeing about zero elk in the Frank. 100% of the reports I’ve heard this year. Makes me chuckle but I understand it is personally painful.

At what point will new guys from back east learn that the Frank is very tough hunting?

The real experience you would have had is getting an elk out from 8 miles deep. Yowza.

I don't think what we did in the Frank could be considered a hunt, lot more of a camping trip with a lot of hiking. We did see a lot of sign when we got close to the area we wanted to hunt and had we been able to stay I think it would've been a good area to hunt. We didn't know how tough it would be, knew it was hard but no way to know how hard until you actually get there. I enjoyed the 2 nights we spent there as it is a beautiful place and i would hunt there again with livestock. Really that's what I'm trying to do next year, go back to the same area with a guide and livestock.

OP
Y
Yeah we should've stayed. Everyday since we've been back i think about what we could've and should've done differently. Can't wait till next year. How long does it take you to pack a bull out that far. Our first camp was about 6 miles in so 12 miles in a day would've put us further than we were comfortable trying to get one out.

Steelhead

FNG
Yeah we should've stayed. Everyday since we've been back i think about what we could've and should've done differently. Can't wait till next year. How long does it take you to pack a bull out that far. Our first camp was about 6 miles in so 12 miles in a day would've put us further than we were comfortable trying to get one out.
We generally don't go straight to "the truck" so it really depends. We're generally hunting beyond camp, so if/when we kill something we pack it back to camp, hang it, and keep hunting. For the 3 of us on a big bull its usually 2 trips. The grind. So to the truck would equal 3 trips for a single bull including the gear haul. Yea a straight 12 mile haul would be brutal, especially doing it twice. You could also do it in legs? Go half way to the truck, hang the meat, then go back and get the rest etc. if you got a long way to go. But yea I'd give it at least a full day of hauling meat out. I'm definitely no expert on this stuff though, that's just how we tend to do it.