What I learned this year about rifles...

I have always been a one rifle guy. First a 308 in 700 (long story as to why I had to sell), then a 7mm-08 in 700. I would find ammo off the shelf and dial in my Redfield, then my Bushnell. This year I decided to buy a used rifle and do all these things I read about, including getting into reloading.

In my quest to get 10 posts so I can buy stuff off the classifieds, I offer the Rokslide a list of what I learned about rifles this year. (**And it was this quest that introduced me via Google to Rokslide.**) I bought a used 700 CDL in 7mmRM from an estate sale just before the pandemic. Early 2000's from the serial number. Every 3 shot group was under 2", but over 1". I went to work on it. All of this I learned by doing. Some of it I didn't know, some of it revealed my knowledge as incomplete, and some of it I was just wrong about. Here's an incomplete list:

Scopes
  • Level a scope to the rifle
  • Level the reticle to gravity (no cant)
  • Eye relief importance
  • Less is more (magnification)
  • Set as low as objective lens and bolt throw allow
  • Use a torque wrench on everything to specs
  • Drop calculators should be verified at the range
Triggers
  • Adjusting a Remington
  • Installing and adjusting a Timney
  • Spring adjustments on Savages/Rugers
Stocks
  • Drill and bed pillars
  • Bed actions
  • Free float the forend
  • Importance of comb to good fit
  • Importance of torque setting on action screws
  • Carbon stocks kick
Bolts/Actions
  • Bolt take down
  • Firing pin replacement
  • Spring replacement
  • Degree of throw and mount height
Reloading
  • Getting the headspace correct
  • Measuring to the ogive (jump for seating depth, CBTO, OAL)
  • It’s all about case prep
  • Measure everything to the .001”
  • Don’t rush
Bullets
  • A nosler partition will tear an animal up
  • An eld-x going fast explodes and leaves no blood
  • There are many, many good options to choose from
  • BC can be misleading
  • There is an optimal interaction between speed and size
Other
  • Accuracy comes first, middle, and last
  • End use is where one starts (a hunting setup for me)
  • Walmart’s Savage Axis is a freaky accurate gun
  • There is so much knowledge in these forums (and some kooky stuff)
  • A 7mm Rem Mag might be the perfect sporting caliber

Folks on this board, Campfire, and TNDeer.com have helped me immeasurably. Many thanks.

-B

Wags

WKR
I had the EXACT experience with the ELDX. I took 4 animals with them last year & not 1 pass through. 2 doe deer were shot in the lungs at 200 & 212 yards, massive holes on impact, no exit. 2 Goats, 1 at 85 yards the other at 326 yards, same result. These were 178 Grain out of a 30-06.

I was using those because my gun LOVES that load. Now I'm in search of a replacement that my Tikka will group.

OP
T
As for groups - I have only been working with heavy loads. (Context - my 7mm-08 shoots 140's great, and I got the 7mmRM so I could use .284 bullets in both my rifles when reloading.) 175g Partitions replicate .7" - .8" every time. I have attached my best group in a pic here. 160g Accubonds a tad better. Lately I have been getting .5" give or take. (This really amazes me.) A second pic below was at 200; but for the data on that pic I now shoot 63.0g of RL-22 and the measure off the ogive on my rifle is 2.75".

But, and I think I am in the minority here - I don't care too very much about groups. It's the first shot out of a cold barrel that needs to be within an inch of my POA. Okay, that's not totally true, I have come to want tight groups because of this new hobby. But to me groups are second to first-shot placement.

And I have shot all my deer with Hornady Whitetail/GMX/SST/Bonded/ELDX, Federal's Fusion, and of course Core-lokts. I found the best bullet for a blood trail being the Fusion. (If I could find some to reload with I would give it try.) I shot my first deer this year with an eld-x. Those bullets were the most accurate after bedding and floating my rifle. 110 yards leaving at almost 3000 ft/sec and I couldn't even find the entrance hole. I was lucky to find him in the tall stuff 75 yards away. I also shot my first deer with a Partition this year. That's the extent of my personal experience with a NP, but of all my hunting friends over the years I have never seen that bullet not perform.

175NP.jpg
160AB.jpg

-B

Interesting as i read all the time about how poorly the ELD-X performs. I have stuck with the eld-x in this rifle due to their supreme accuracy out of this gun. I have little experience with them, but picked up a .300wsm for an elk gun and initially shot a wt doe at 100ish yards with precision hunters in 200gr. Way overkill yes, but deer didn’t move an inch, dropped like a sack. High lung shot but not close to spine, just solid double lung. Cant remember if there was exit wound.
i had some hand loads made using same bullet but handloaded for consistency for long range shooting. I shot a bull elk at 300 with 200gr eld-x in a sharp quartering to shot, put it right in front of the leading shoulder and the bullet went through all the way to the opposite tenderloin where a partial bullet frag was found (fortunately didn’t ruin much at all of the tender). Bull bucked, turned broadside, put another in its chest and it dropped right there. First shot was lethal, second shot was insurance. But i could tell by the way the first shot reacted that bull wasn’t going anywhere.
fast forward a month and a i shot a nice wt buck at 100ish yards completely broadside and the deer dropped like a sack again, didn’t move an inch. Again, high chest shot but not close to the spine. Bullet had finger sized entrance and a double finger exit.

again, limited experience, but for me the bullet has been impeccable. Maybe i am just super lucky to have zero yards to trail three different animals. 200gr with MV at 3000 fps, fast and heavy. I will use this conbo on a KY wt hunt this season in addition to my home place in OK.

Placement is almost as important as bullet type.

OP
T
After posting here this week, I thought I should go shoot another group w/ my latest load tweaks. I set my accubonds a few thou lower and got .18 MOA yesterday at 200 yards. I'm officially done tweaking.
20210602_111339 (1).jpg
And since this is a rifle forum, here's a pic of what I have been working on:
20200722_123118.jpg

And as for ELD-X bullets, I have learned that these as factory loads are the most accurate in both of my rifles - most accurate by far. As for performance, I just prefer a blood trail. Here's a pic of a 178g ELD-X that entered just behind the heart at 110 yards but didn't exit the lungs:
https://www.jpgbox.com/page/63629/ The deer was walking dead, but he was leaving no trail.
Hornady has an FAQ on this. I'm sure this is a great bullet for a lot of folks, it's just another something I wasn't expecting and had to learn. (The best thing about the 10 post rule is how much money I am saving.)

-B

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
I'd say you found your load, nice work!

As for the "bullets that leave no blood trail" debacle, I've come to learn that I prefer a full energy dump in the cavity. I've had plenty of other rifle bullets that didn't exit, and am working up loads with Bergers and ELD-M in my new rifles. Also love hunting with a muzzleloader (black powder 200yds and under, open sights in WA) and have never had a pass through. Usually find the slug under the hide on the opposing side. Never had an animal leak more than a drop or 2 out the entrance wound, and as long as it was put in the vitals I've never had to walk more than about 50 yards to locate them. To each their own.

I’m a one gun guy too. One in every kind , in every caliber it was ever offered in.
Just funning, working on post count to get above “10”.

Zappaman

WKR
I'm glad to see the Fusion make your list... I pretty much shoot the "Gold Dot" version in my deer loads (6.8 SPC (115g) and 260ai (140g). I REALLY like the way they BOTH expand and drive through- shedding little weight (lead) into the meat.

I am also glad to hear another honest Savage comment-- I pretty much shoot Savage myself for the same reason you mention: Accuracy... that is what matters most of all over all else. (y) As I re-barrel, and tweak many of mine, I find them to be excellent off the shelf or customized for the money (either way).

OP
T
ONE YEAR UPDATE...

Just some quick thoughts about what I have learned in year 2 of this rabbit hole:

1. Most - if not all - of my striving to improve accuracy now falls into the **diminishing returns** category.
2. I'm now a 3 rifle guy.
3. I'm further convinced that for my situation (hunting) it is the first shot from a cold barrel that counts.
4. I use the String Length Method now to gauge accuracy. (http://ballistipedia.com/index.php?title=Measuring_Precision) And finally,
5. Shooting off a sandbag, one needs to make sure pressure points on the stock are at the same place day-to-day. (I've started using a bi-pod b/c of that variation.)

-B

----------

**diminishing returns***

1. I can't tell any difference b/t a $1000 scope and my Leupold Freedom.
2. I find a load for each rifle that will get me to within 1/2 MOA from my POA. Then it must replicate day-to-day - first shot, cold bore. I won't chase groups any more.
3. I don't mind carrying a full setup that is ~7lbs. I can pay to cut weight, but right now I'm good.

Weldor

WKR
I had the EXACT experience with the ELDX. I took 4 animals with them last year & not 1 pass through. 2 doe deer were shot in the lungs at 200 & 212 yards, massive holes on impact, no exit. 2 Goats, 1 at 85 yards the other at 326 yards, same result. These were 178 Grain out of a 30-06.

I was using those because my gun LOVES that load. Now I'm in search of a replacement that my Tikka will group.
My buddie's 308 is exactly the same, blows up when it touches bone. no exit wounds at all in 4 small whitetail does average range150 -210.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Harvey - neither have my eyes aged well. I tried to find anyway possible I could justify German glass, I really did...
I'm not knocking anything that works for ya, I just meant in terms of reliability being mounted on a magnum and retaining zero, tracking correctly, etc.