What if...

So much of the conversation about hunting is the focus on R3, preserving rights, etc...

But why?

If in 100-200 years hunting had faded away NOT because of governmental regulations, loss of access, social pressure etc... Generations just faded away from engaging in it for whatever reason. Life changes. The way we live would be almost unrecognizable to someone from 150-200 years ago.

Why do you care? We will be dead and gone, as will our kids and grandkids. Why is it important that others we'll never know continue to do things that we enjoy?

What is R3?

It’s not important to me if it is by choice.

I think the rights part of the question could be applied to all sorts of things. The environment? Who cares, I’ll be dead. A living wage? Who cares, I’ll be retired. Etc. Naturally those examples are more pressing than hunting but I think the premise is nearly the same.

It doesn’t matter to me if those who don’t have any interest in the outdoors and more specifically hunting choose not to participate. That is a choice. I think it’s only fair that we do our best for those that follow so they have the option to choose. Hell, maybe in 100 years everyone will be vegan. I’m fine with that too, so long as it’s by choice.

Last edited:
OP
displacedtexan
What is R3?

It’s not important to me if it is by choice.

I think the rights part of the question could be applied to all sorts of things. The environment? Who cares, I’ll be dead. A living wage? Who cares, I’ll be retired. Etc. Naturally those examples are more pressing than hunting but I think the premise is nearly the same.

It doesn’t matter to me if those who don’t have any interest in the outdoors and more specifically hunting choose not to participate. That is a choice. I think it’s only fair that we do our best for those that follow so they have the option to choose. Hell, maybe in 100 years everyone will be vegan. I’m fine with that too, so long as it’s by choice.
R3 is dumb... Recruit, Retain, Reactivate

Ironically, my thoughts and fon environmental issues have little or nothing to do with the future. I like the Earth and wild places. I personally try to take care of things I like.

CoStick

WKR
I doubt it with the way society is going. Self implosion from immediate gratification will cause a severe reduction in luxuries.

Things don't get to become easier because people become more lazy and greedy.
Technology makes a difference.

A lot of hunting is observing animals, patience, learning from mistakes, being uncomfortable, going home empty handed , plans don't always work out. It also can be a "buzz" like never experienced. I think as humans today we are lazy and not as close to the earth as our forefathers who depended on it for survival. When people don't get the "buzz"they'll move on in our world of instant gratification. I think technology will ultimately kill it. No more "surprise" like opening Christmas presents. Imagine technology advances where you have a subscription that you put in a profile of an elk in a certain local and a satellite tags the animal and monitors it and the when season opens you get the GPS coordinate's and take care of business. Cloudy days the drone keeps track.

I see some kids that watch to much outdoor channel hung up on trophy scores . The 13 year needs put on suicide watch and medicated because the buck he shot was only 140 class and now he's depressed.

A lot of hunting is observing animals, patience, learning from mistakes, being uncomfortable, going home empty handed , plans don't always work out. It also can be a "buzz" like never experienced. I think as humans today we are lazy and not as close to the earth as our forefathers who depended on it for survival. When people don't get the "buzz"they'll move on in our world of instant gratification. I think technology will ultimately kill it. No more "surprise" like opening Christmas presents. Imagine technology advances where you have a subscription that you put in a profile of an elk in a certain local and a satellite tags the animal and monitors it and the when season opens you get the GPS coordinate's and take care of business. Cloudy days the drone keeps track.
Then we ride up on our… oh never mind 😜

Lastly, what would a thread be without a discussion on ebikes. I'll join the game when Elon Musk builds one. I wanna be cruising the trail's with the A/C blowing and the Bose speakers blasting Ted Nugent Fred Bear song !

A little further down the road will be the "Metaverse" virtual reality. Ya know Matrix type stuff. Seems real , but it ain't....... or is it ???

bozeman

WKR
keep in mind that WE on this forum are drastically removed from our forefathers 100 years ago....so the process will continue.

keep in mind that WE on this forum are drastically removed from our forefathers 100 years ago....so the process will continue.
Absolutely ! Their heads would spin looking at the technology we currently use. Although a lot of those guys lived to the ripe old age of 40. Life was hard pre-starbucks

Absolutely ! Their heads would spin looking at the technology we currently use. Although a lot of those guys lived to the ripe old age of 40. Life was hard pre-starbucks

At the turn of the century, 122 years ago, did anyone run for fun? What about move weights around, just to do it. Let alone hunt for the entertainment of it.

I don't know that it's important that anyone continues to do the things we enjoy, what's important is the opportunity. 122 years ago, they weren't terribly worried about our opportunities. Look at the species that were hunted to only a few serving animals.

More than likely same thing is happening now, we just aren't seeing it. History repeats, we are removing something that a next generation will be pissed that we plundered, and they will work to conserve it.

My little brain hurts now. I'm going to move along and think about something else.

OP
displacedtexan
Exactly what prompted this post.

We have to preserve traditions... That the ones who started wouldn't recognize.

bozeman

WKR
Exactly what prompted this post.

We have to preserve traditions... That the ones who started wouldn't recognize.
Do we? For instance, we haven't preserved many such as blacksmithing, butchering, personal gardens and livestock........I am not convinced the following generations need to preserve what we here consider important activities (hunting, fishing, etc). Only playing devils advocate, but many in the teenage years have no interest in hunting....