What insole to get...???

ewade07

WKR
Well, I took my pair of Salewas out over the weekend antelope hunting and turns out i think i need some different insoles. The entire bottoms of my feet ached, not a terrible pain but something that if its that bad on flat land you know will be terrible in the mountains come elk season. What kinds of insoles would all of you recommend? I would say i have a normal foot, not too flat and not a super high arch. just looking for something to provide a little more comfort and support.

mlgc20

WKR
I also have a pretty neutral arch. But, insoles are very personal. So what works for one may not work for others. I use Superfeet Blue in nearly all my footwear. They don't have a ton of cushioning. But, the support makes them very comfortable. I have them in my Lowa Renegades, and I can easily spend all day in them without any issues.

Whisky

WKR
I second Lathrop and Sons. They mostly just add cushion I think, which apparently works well for me.
I have tried a couple different Superfeets and they didn't work for me.

Brendan

WKR
Lathrop and Sons offer zero support - just cushioning, and they rely on the boot to add support. I use them in my L&S Mountain Hunter Elites, but that's because the shape of that boot works well for me. Depends on the combination of your feet, and what boot it's going in.

These work fairly well for me and are cheap. I even had 3 pairs shimmed by a Podiatrist to get everything aligned correctly:

Superfeet Blue / Orange / Green are worth a try, again it depends on your foot though.

Something like Sheepfeet custom will probably be the best, but looking at $250 and a 4-6 week lead time right now. You can get your HSA/FSA to pay for them though. I'm finally going this route now as I've tried every single one of the above suggestions, and still haven't found one I love.

OP
ewade07

ewade07

WKR
Lathrop and Sons offer zero support - just cushioning, and they rely on the boot to add support. I use them in my L&S Mountain Hunter Elites, but that's because the shape of that boot works well for me. Depends on the combination of your feet, and what boot it's going in.

These work fairly well for me and are cheap. I even had 3 pairs shimmed by a Podiatrist to get everything aligned correctly:

Superfeet Blue / Orange / Green are worth a try, again it depends on your foot though.

Something like Sheepfeet custom will probably be the best, but looking at $250 and a 4-6 week lead time right now. You can get your HSA/FSA to pay for them though.
Interesting.... I didnt even think about using my HSA to pay for these types of things. Thanks for the suggestion!

Another vote for super feet insoles. Mine specifically are the hike ones (green&orange color). I may try the blue ones for I am also wearing them in Lowa Renegades (which I probably won’t be buying again).

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I spent $80 on a couple pairs of superfeet before just going to a podiatrist and getting some custom carbon insoles made. I think they were two or three hundred dollars, but they are supposed to last a decade and only need a 90 dollar reconditioning every year or two. Between work and fun, I walk enough to wear out two or three pairs of Zamberlan boots every year.

It seemed like a lot of money up front but I never want to be without custom insoles again. Insoles are cheap insurance against an injury and probably the best bang for your buck towards improving everyday comfort.

ChrisS

WKR
boots and things related to feet are really dependent on the individual. And the insole has to work with the boot as well. I tried a number of superfeet in different boots and hated every single combination. I've been using timberland pro anti-fatigue insole in my meindls since last November and they've been great for me.