What is a good expandable broadhead?

Lawnboi

WKR
I am looking forward to seeing how the edge head goes. Seems like a lot of people are talking really highly of it even though it just came out.

Imo the only advantage to a mechanical is the wind resistance. And that's a big one for me when hunting flat windy areas for deer size game.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
When I hunt Wyoming where they are legal, I've had good luck with several of the Rocket broadheads. Shot right with my field points. I'm in Idaho though, and we can't use them, so not much experience with other brands.

Killed a buck with a 1.75" cutting diameter and it left a big 'ol hole!

J-Daddy

WKR
I am looking forward to seeing how the edge head goes. Seems like a lot of people are talking really highly of it even though it just came out.

Imo the only advantage to a mechanical is the wind resistance. And that's a big one for me when hunting flat windy areas for deer size game.

The things that got me so interested in the Edge head was that I trust what Dan Evans puts out, he's not known for putting out junk that is cheaply made and flimsy...So with them being tied to TrophyTaker I knew the quality would be there.
Also I've talked with Rusty Ulmer about them at length when pics started leaking out of the prototype heads...I know the amount of R&D that Rusty, Randy & Dan have put into them. Rusty was like me, a fan of the old Rocky Mountain Snyper 2 blade "pre-Rage junk" and he said he's never been 100% happy with most of the others he's tried since them. If the Edge turns out to be as good as the old Snyper was I'll be happy...I've killed tons of deer with the old ones and they never let me down.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just picked up two packs of the Edge Broad Heads. Looking at them, they are well built solid with great features put into them. I will shoot them this weekend for the first time this weekend and test them out.

JG358

WKR
Like Aerohead300 said...we got our Ulmer Edge's in MONDAY....it was AWESOME. We are going to be having some fun with these!!!! I still have turkey tags!!!

Just samples or are they the production heads? When you gonna have them on the shelf?

J-Daddy

WKR
Just samples or are they the production heads? When you gonna have them on the shelf?
Should be production heads, they are starting to ship now...I've just been avoiding them since I know how huge the backorder list was...I thought I'd give them some time to hopefully get caught up before I order any for myself & customers, so I'll probably wait till late summer before I place any orders for them.

Bubba

FNG
I shot a Blacktail buck this year right through the front shoulder with a G5 T3 expandable. This was the first time trying them and I'm a believer in the T3. It did a number on this buck. He only went 50 yards..... The fly just like you field points. Highly recommend them.........

Drelk

FNG
Love the grim reapers. Durable and leaves a big hole. Can't wait to try the new ulmer head

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been shooting them the last couple weeks. So far, exact point of impact as my field points out to 120 yards. They have a solid feel and function. The blades are not surgical sharp, but sharp enough. Great ability to shoot them in practice mode and not damage any thing. I have had zero issues with them yet. Hopefully August 10th I will push one through the lungs of a high country mule deer.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
So the TT Edge had been working pretty good. They shot great and just like field points. The "but" is coming. But today I broke one of the blades shooting it into a broadhead target. I had it in the practice mode with the blades secured. One of the exposed blades in the practice mode broke right off. This certainly is discouraging.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
A Block Target....I think the force on that small blade That is sticking out and not being able to deploy is to much over time.

billy molls

Super Moderator
Great thread, with good info. There may have been 1 or 2, but didn't notice any mention of Rage. Almost everybody with a TV show swears by them, but almost every TV host I have ever seen shoot a deer with one, shows the deer running away with 3/4 of the arrow sticking out. I am very much a "newbie" to forums, but I can see the value: you get honest, real, and unbiased info. good stuff.

I have used Rage, and though I never lost any animals, I never got anywhere near the penetration I wanted. I may have to try some others.

Any updates or reviews on the ulmer heads yet. Looking at getting these for my wife for whitetails. She is shooting a 355 grain arrow at 235 fps so about 44 KE. Hoping to bump up to 50lbs of draw so same arrow except 245 fps and 47lbs of KE. Is this enough to push this arrow? It has the same cutting diameter of the Rage 40KE which was supposedly designsd for sub 40ke arrows. I really like TT products so would love to get this for the wife. If they made some in 125 grain I would pull the trigger for myself. Again this is for white tails only. For the wife.

Last edited:
Your wife doesn't need to be shooting an expandable at 44 KE in my opinion even at 47 foot pounds. Put her in a good fixed blade for better penetration.

My only issue with the Schwacker is it does not fully deploy on entrance. That is what I like about the Ulmer EDGE. It takes the best aspects about the Schwacker and the RAGE (if there are any :) sorry had to get a jab in) and combines them into one head.

Oh yeah I agree. As soon as they come out with a 125 grain Ulmer Edge they will be in my quiver. That thing looks great. Especially if the rumors are true about them coming out with a steal ferrule. Do you know the blade thickness of the Ulmer Edge?

As far as fixed blade goes no problem there. She already has 100g Slick Trick standards. I just wanted to try the Ulmers and since they don't have them in 125 grains I figured I would live vicariously through her. :)

Last edited: