What is a good out West starter hunt?

Koby_Paul

FNG
Myself and a few friends have been big whitetail hunters from Ohio for years. We want to expand our knowledge and try an out West hunt. Just wondering what would be a good starter hunt?

ericF

WKR
Wyoming Antelope is pretty easy to do. That being said, I would just start with Elk. If you have a couple guys interested, just head out to Colorado and figure it out together. Plan on a learning experience with the bonus chance at an elk and if you go in with that attitude you will have a great experience.

archp625

WKR
Antelope for sure. That was my first hunt along with some other friends of mine. Its cheaper than the others and it helps you see how vast the land it and helps you work through some gear issues.

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on your goals. Wyoming antelope is an easy fun hunt where you should fill your tags.
That said, elk hunting is addicting even if it’s difficult for a beginner to harvest an animal. My preference is elk, but go out there with the expectation that you may likely come home without an animal but with some great memories.

Spoonbill

WKR
Spring bear hunts aren’t a bad option either. Idaho has otc tags that are relatively inexpensive. If you want to do a mule deer and/or elk hunt it could be a good way to learn the area. Couple threads on here about getting started in bear hunting.

Titan_Bow

WKR
You have to be honest with yourself and your buddies, first and foremost. What is it that you are looking for, how fit and able are you and your buddies, how hard do you want to work? There's just too many variables to be honest. Antelope is the "easiest" hunt. I remember I took my son when he was 7 with me on a hunt up in Wyoming. This was before that bad winter a handful of years ago that cut the tag allotment to nothing. We were hunting up around Pathfinder Reservoir, and at the time, the hardest part was finding an antelope in a spot where it wasnt just pulling off the side of the road and shooting one. I had to work at making it at least feel like a hunt. Not saying all antelope hunting is like that, but its primarily driving around and short walks to glassing points until you find one you want. Not a whole lot of effort involved (compared to a backcountry elk hunt for example), but you can experience some beautiful country and hang out with good friends, maybe get some fishing in or something else while you are out here.
If it were me, I would just jump right into whatever it is you truly want to do. If its an elk hunt, just go for it. If its mule deer, just do it. I will say, one hunt that I always suggest to people just getting into hunting. Look at Montana doe tags in the Missouri Breaks. That is a fun ass hunt, takes some hard work but not quite on the level of a Colorado elk hunt. The tags are inexpensive, and you can start learning some new country you could come back to for elk or a mulie buck. I spent a week in the Breaks with a doe tag my first time up there, and got a doe on the 4th day after watching deer a couple days. I just wanted to take in the new scenery and start to learn the area a bit. Very doable for anyone willing to put a little boot leather to the dirt.

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
Just pick a state where you can get tags and go hunt elk with your bow in mid to late September. You'll probably get your ass kicked and likely won't shoot anything, but you'll have a hell of a good time. Just make sure to budget for that hunt for years to come, because you'll definitely want to come back.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk