What is a realistic expectation on shot distance in NM unit 34 with a bow?

Ccoggin

FNG
I may just be the luckiest guy in America right now because I drew archery elk in unit 34 and also the January mule deer archery hunt in unit 2C on my first time applying in NM. My question is what would be a realistic shot distance on elk in unit 34? Any info would be greatly appreciated, this is my 1st ever elk hunt. Thanks.

Well, you're gonna have one heck of a first elk hunt! You'll be hunting in one of the highest elk densities in the state. Your typical shot distance depends entirely on your skills as a hunter (calling, stalking, shooting capabilities).

Typically, for any archery elk hunt, I've found that my average shot distance has been under 30 yards when calling and slightly longer if I'm stalking in.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
C

Ccoggin

FNG
I will be going with an outfitter so hopefully they can get them in close. I'm good out to 50yds outside of that I definitely need to practice. Lol

Brooks

WKR
From 5 feet to 60 yards. Practice out to 60 in case you need a second shot. The luckiest guy in America drew a 16 tag. Good luck.

Beendare

WKR
You won't need to shoot over 50yds....more like under 30 as stated above.

The key will be whether you are able to get off a fast accurate shot in thick cover....and knowing your shot angles. If you have a guide calling for you, You have to know to remain perfectly still so the bull doesn't pick you off. Example; turning your head with a billed cap is not 'holding still'.

The bulls will most likely be coming in straight on.....Frontal is only a good shot 1) under the right circumstances, read; close! and 2) if you can make a very accurate shot under those circumstances,, knowing exactly where to put that arrow.

_____

Last edited:
When I set up for a call in sequence, I range 20 to the left, 20 to the right, and that's the lane of death. Elk are made to call in close and I like not thinking about which pin to use.

I've been on a ton of elk kills, and what always rings true no matter what, is the longer the shot, the longer the recovery distance. Take that to the bank.

We were calling for a friend in dark timber a few years back. The bull just would not leave his cows. So we went after him and followed him in to a open burn area where a nervous grunt stopped him broadside. My other buddy ranged him at 70 yards. Broadside! Easy shot! If you have pins out to 70-80 yards. His pins went to 60 so he did not risk taking the shot. The giant 6 pt bull walked off Bugling with his girls and out of our lives forever. He killed a cow a couple days later at 5' ;)

When I set up for a call in sequence, I range 20 to the left, 20 to the right, and that's the lane of death. Elk are made to call in close and I like not thinking about which pin to use.

I've been on a ton of elk kills, and what always rings true no matter what, is the longer the shot, the longer the recovery distance. Take that to the bank.

Wish I could agree with that. But my 16 yard shot last year was the longest track/recovery I've ever had. Although at the time I just knew he went 40-50 yards and tipped over. Boy was I wrong.........

Wish I could agree with that. But my 16 yard shot last year was the longest track/recovery I've ever had. Although at the time I just knew he went 40-50 yards and tipped over. Boy was I wrong.........

You kind of made my point, guys practice out to 50 - 60 and then lose it on a 20 yd shot. What's that say about adding 30+ yds?

I'll stick with my original post. I've been around too many "Shot looked good........ but MAYBE a bit" .........'ll let you guys fill in the rest.

There is nothing better then dropping the string, no wait, just walk to the elk. For me, that happens on close sub 20 yds alot. I can't say that about shot's getting further and further out due to the fact most guys can't even see where they hit.

Last edited:

bignocks

FNG
Id think about it in reverse i guess. If you put a 3d target out there in front of a brick wall with a arrow and broadhead how far will you be confident in your shot. If you say 60 then Id say under that would be your range. Things are always much harder with a live animal and the adrenaline those elk can give you.

Beendare

WKR
Id think about it in reverse i guess. If you put a 3d target out there in front of a brick wall with a arrow and broadhead how far will you be confident in your shot. If you say 60 then Id say under that would be your range. Things are always much harder with a live animal and the adrenaline those elk can give you.

I would agree with that as I've seen it time and again in the woods. Great shooters missing shots on uneven ground........ with a tight window.....without the benefit of a stationary target.....under pressure....not at an even pin range 30,40, 50,60 plus- as we all did on the cold bow challenge.

All of the those factors affect your max distance. That said, some of the longer shots are actually easier if can eliminate some of the above negative factors. Some of those you can draw and hold...be on even ground, etc.

When the IBO world champ that can drill the ten ring every time on an unmarked 3D target......completely misses an elk coming in [ OTC hunt with him many years ago] any of us can make a bad shot.

_______

@fulldraw

FNG
I may just be the luckiest guy in America right now because I drew archery elk in unit 34 and also the January mule deer archery hunt in unit 2C on my first time applying in NM. My question is what would be a realistic shot distance on elk in unit 34? Any info would be greatly appreciated, this is my 1st ever elk hunt. Thanks.

I suggest shooting out to as far as you possibly can and be confident out to 60 yds. When you have confidence out to 50, 60, etc., it makes those 20-30yd shots seem like nothing. You will also pay closer attention to mechanics if you focusing on trying to tighten groups out that far.

OP
C

Ccoggin

FNG
I suggest shooting out to as far as you possibly can and be confident out to 60 yds. When you have confidence out to 50, 60, etc., it makes those 20-30yd shots seem like nothing. You will also pay closer attention to mechanics if you focusing on trying to tighten groups out that far.
I'm in the process of getting set up to go out to 80yds, mainly for my 2C mule deer hunt in Jan. but I've been practicing at 50yd right now.

You have enough to worry about: stick with what you know and not take a shot over 50 yards. You may lament the 60 yard bull that you passed up, but you will NEVER get over a 60 yarder that you wound and never find.

what I would do is practice at some steep uphill and downhill angles. Your arrow will fly higher in both situations than shooting on flat ground. 50 yards at a steep angle is something that could easily happen, and you need to be confident that you know how to hold for that shot.

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on your tags. I'd recommend you practice as long as possible (100+ yards) simply to help your close range accuracy. You may not need it in 34, but it's a real possibility in 2C depending on the weather. BTW, if you're not familiar with 2C (other than the size of deer posted), be ready for super cold nights, mud, ice and anything in between. If you're camping via tent, it may not be possible due to the mud. If you're towing in a camper, again, might not get too far. I carry chains when I hunt up there, and have needed them a few times. It's an adventure and a fun area, but be prepared. Stalking on crunchy snow and ice is really tough to close the distance!

EDIT: Unit 34 is a CWD unit. Be prepared and know the limitations of transporting meat/antlers/etc.

My limited experience since '08 has every shot under 40 yards. Whether it's been the Gila, unit 34, NM unit 53, and a handful of OTC high elevation units in CO, or a couple draw units in CO. With my closest at 6'.