What is a realistic expectation on shot distance in NM unit 34 with a bow?

OP
C

Ccoggin

FNG
My limited experience since '08 has every shot under 40 yards. Whether it's been the Gila, unit 34, NM unit 53, and a handful of OTC high elevation units in CO, or a couple draw units in CO. With my closest at 6'.
That's awesome, could only imagine the rush on the 6'

That's awesome, could only imagine the rush on the 6'

Indeed it was a rush lol. And 1 reason why I bowhunt. Up close and personal is exciting. It's also a reason I Call. Nothing like it when they come running in and I've just made a kill "on my terms" ;)

Last edited:

Disco14

Lil-Rokslider
Some great info here. Ditto the point about practicing all kinds of shots from different angles, slopes, positions, etc.

Being able to judge distances quickly on the fly will be helpful too.

ARNZ

FNG
Depends on what side of the unit you are on for shot distance. Great tag and good luck. My buddy has blue lacy blood dogs and he gets called out to find poor shot elk. Most of which are out of state hunters who shoot mechanical heads. I do keep a mechanical in my quiver but I would make sure your setup is a heavy penetrating arrow regardless of what distance you shoot.

OP
C

Ccoggin

FNG
Depends on what side of the unit you are on for shot distance. Great tag and good luck. My buddy has blue lacy blood dogs and he gets called out to find poor shot elk. Most of which are out of state hunters who shoot mechanical heads. I do keep a mechanical in my quiver but I would make sure your setup is a heavy penetrating arrow regardless of what distance you shoot.
I only shoot fixed blades but I'm planning on shooting Easton FMJ and getting my arrow weight up around 500